Experience with Watchgecko Merriot Milanese

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Experience with Watchgecko Merriot Milanese

Post by H0rati0 »

Anybody have one of these and care to comment? Even better would be a comparison with the Staib!

https://www.watchgecko.com/merriott-qui ... atch-strap

I am tempted, though Watchgecko now want to charge £20 to deliver in Germany and seem to be double dipping on the VAT charge.... :?

Many thanks for any input.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: Experience with Watchgecko Merriot Milanese

Post by biggus_richus »

I don't have that particular Milanese, but I do have the Oblique. I preferred the diagonally mounted mesh links but it isn't quick release and has a downgraded clasp in comparison. For £28 I have no complaints, but I'm afraid I don't have anything I can compare it with.

There are a couple of pictures here viewtopic.php?p=829614#p829614
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I have both the Watchgecko Oblique and Merriott milanese bracelets.

The Oblique is OK, decent enough quality but doesn't have quick release springbars and it also only has a simple hook clasp. Whilst it is discrete and low profile I felt a little vulnerable taking it off and putting it on.

I've just bought a Merriott to try out on my Meistersinger: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5973&p=850480#p850480

I'm very pleased with it and the things I personally like are:
  1. It feels of good quality with no sharp edges or rough finishing. It is pretty flexible and bends from about the 3rd link out from the springbars. I prefer the parallel link layout and it has QR springbars that fit and operate well and feel secure.
  2. The clasp is a hybrid of a double push button folding deployant clasp combined with a more typical 'clamp' arrangement that enable very fine granularity in adjustment with the need to mess about with adding or removing links. The clasp opens and closes with a reassuring click and no play. It feels very solid and secure.
  3. The two folding hinges within the clasp are only made of pressed metal but seem to be decently finished. Nevertheless, this has the advantage of minimising the bulk of the clasp when worn as you also have the tail of the watch head-end of the milanese under your wrist as well.

I haven't tried a Staib so I can't really offer any valid opinions in comparison. My only observation would be that Staib rely upon a traditional bracelet link connection to the clasp and therefore you've got to make sure you order the correct length. They also don't appear to have QR springbars and they are considerably more expensive (although being in Germany the 'BREXIT Dividend' may well negate that for you... ](*,) ).
Tim
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Gentlemen, thanks for your insights.

I may well take the plunge as I prefer the design to the Staib, but will wait a little to see what happens with the shipping costs. £20 even including VAT is out of order, ie we don't really want to ship to EU.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)