What a difference a strap can make...

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

What a difference a strap can make...

Post by StrapMeister »

So I guess this may sound obvious but it's absolutely amazing how changing a strap on a watch can make such a difference.
To the extent that you feel like you have a new watch or indeed fall back in love with the watch.

When choosing a strap I always look at key features of the watch, i.e. the colour of the dial, indices, markers, hands, bezel, case, and so on.
I also take into consideration the style of watch - pilot, motorsport, etc.
I then try to find a strap that will highlight a feature or features.
If I'm in doubt then I try to buy a cheap/on sale strap as a test - some work, some don't - hence the straps/bracelets I have up for sale viewtopic.php?f=46&t=55904.

We all like pictures, so here are some examples of what I have done.

BREMONT Jaguar Mk III
This came on a BREMONT Blue with white stitching rally strap.
Ex_Jag_MkIII_Blue_White.jpg
In fairness it works quite well - I like the rally style and the white stitching on the strap in particular.
However, taking into consideration the black segment of the case, black dial and the red accent on it, I felt there was something better.
A quick trawl through the BREMONT site and I found the Norton V4 strap - same style but Black with Red stitching - which I felt was a much better match.
Ex_Jag_MkIII_Blck_Red.jpg
CHRISTOPHER WARD C9 AM GT LE
This came on the CHRISTOPHER WARD Camel Vintage Oak Leather strap.
Ex_C9_AM_GT_LE_Camel.JPG
Although a really lovely and comfortable strap I felt this didn't quite work for me.
Again, taking into consideration the black dial, red second hand and white numerals, I felt there was something better.
So I had a quick search on the CW Archive (https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive/# ... 011686c64/) and found an alternative of the CHRISTOPHER WARD Piccary Leather strap that was also offered as an option for these watches and that I thought worked better.
Ex_C9_AM_GT_LE_Black_Red_White.JPG
CHRISTOPHER WARD C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE
Finally, and what prompted me to write this thread, this came on the CHRISTOPHER WARD Camel Vintage Oak Leather strap.
Ex_C65_Trident_Bronze_Camel.JPG
Again, as mentioned above, a really lovely and comfortable strap.
However, this time because of the bronze case, gold hands and indices, I think this strap works really, really well.
So why change it?
Well I kind of fallen out of love with the watch and was musing over selling it as it didn't get a lot of wrist time.
The problem here is that blue dial watches, in general, are very difficult to match a strap to, plus having a bronze case any bracelet option was non starter.
Again I hunted around and noticed in the archive that an option was a black canvas with white stitching webbing strap (https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive/# ... eac9e5047/).
Now looking at the picture in the archive the strap looks more blue than black - bingo! that's the answer - try and get hold of a blue canvas with white stitching webbing strap.
So straight over to the CHRISTOPHER WARD Nearly New strap sale I went.
I was preferably after a 22mm blue canvas, white stitching webbing strap with a bronze buckle.
Unfortunately by the time I got to the sale this option wasn't available, however, there was a 22mm blue canvas, white stitching webbing strap with stainless buckle - which was promptly purchased Thursday evening and arrived this morning.
First thing was to swap the buckle over.
Ex_C65_Trident_Bronze_Buckle.JPG
Then attached to the watch - so easy with the integrated quick release spring bars.
...and here is the result - which I'm very pleased with.
Ex_C65_Trident_Bronze_Blue.JPG
Hope you enjoyed the read and the insight into the StrapMeister :D
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: What a difference a strap can make...

Post by Thegreyman »

I think you have really improved the look of each of the three watches Nigel. I don't know why Bremont didn't use that black strap as the stock offering for the Jag.

On my own C65 Bronze (Ombre rather than the LE) I bought the black canvas, white stitching CW strap and I think it suits the watch well. With the blue dial of the LE, you have definitely got a winner with the blue canvas :thumbup:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Enjoyable post. That blue canvas works really well.
I've discovered an enhanced enjoyment of my C65 Vintage Diver, after finally fitting it onto the bracelet.
Steve.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

The blue on blue is fantastic :clap:
I have a blue watch that I've always struggled to get a strap for. I've never tried it on blue!! I think my feeling has always been that it would be 'too blue', but this shows that different shades of blue look great together
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Great thread! I’m far more inclined to experiment with straps to change up a watch rather than experiment with a new watch. It’s a far more economical way to get a “new watch,” so to speak. And thankfully, CW watches, as a whole, take to straps very well.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I love the Bremont on the blue rally!

While the C65 does look very good on its blue strap, for me the steel version is a bracelet watch. I changed my hand wound blue version over from the camel leather to bracelet today and I was reminded how good it looks.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Thank you for everyone's comments :thumbup:
missF wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:21 pm The blue on blue is fantastic :clap:
I have a blue watch that I've always struggled to get a strap for. I've never tried it on blue!! I think my feeling has always been that it would be 'too blue', but this shows that different shades of blue look great together
Yes, there are a number of colours which are difficult to match (e.g. blue, green, red).
Sometimes getting a textured strap, e.g. croc or alligator, can break things up/tone things down.
I reckon I managed it on my PINION Axis Blue Dawn
PINION Axis Blue.jpg
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Again, I think I cracked it with my other PINION (Axis Bronze Hunter Green).
PINION Axis Bronze.jpg
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Both look great. I think the point about texture is a good one :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Mabeco
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Mabeco »

The original black leather is very comfortable but the fact it does not taper feels strange to me.
Really enjoying a red croc pattern leather. Not perfect yet but I believe it is a better combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Mabeco for the post:
thomcat00
Christopher Ward C1 Moonglow, Junghans, Seiko, Vostok, Swatch, Reporter, Certina...
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think.your moonglow would look great with a CW cordovan strap. (CW in particular because of the bader/omega clasp). Black of course, but the blue strap is a very dark midnight blue, that might work as well.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Mabeco wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:58 pm The original black leather is very comfortable but the fact it does not taper feels strange to me.
Really enjoying a red croc pattern leather. Not perfect yet but I believe it is a better combo.
That's not a bad combination actually and shows how a textured strap can work :thumbup:
It's not obvious from the picture but I would hope that it would pick up the red on the seconds hand and the red date indicator.
Thinking about it, I can see that strap working really well on a C1 Worldglow.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Just received my custom made (to my spec) SteveoStraps rally strap :D
SteveoStraps_BRG-001.JPG
SteveoStraps_BRG-002.JPG
SteveoStraps_BRG-003.JPG
Mabeco
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Mabeco »

They look very nice, show us the pairing!
Christopher Ward C1 Moonglow, Junghans, Seiko, Vostok, Swatch, Reporter, Certina...
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

Nigel, for me the Pinion Axis Blue Dawn really stands out, great photos too :thumbup: :thumbup: