Deployant/strap update

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Deployant/strap update

Post by jkbarnes »

A simple swap of the deployants I got from StrapMeister has made them both usable! I’m very happy with the end results.

883BC10E-3FC5-42BD-A7EC-AAAFCC868EFD.jpeg
AC437AB3-B1DA-4409-9E64-836A97A30B25.jpeg
4564BA94-F62F-4FAD-8349-29B8AE256DD5.jpeg
680865B5-F82B-4BA6-9B8A-207542C2FF28.jpeg
571350E6-2C87-4A79-BF9B-51AD792C1A32.jpeg
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Deployant/strap update

Post by jkbarnes »

Leon O wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:01 am Congrats on finding a great combo!!!
Leon O, I’ve swapped the the deployant clasps. Now both the Horween strap from Barton and my tropic rubber strat from Moose Strap Co. both have deployants. Very happy with both.
Drew
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Thanks for posting this Andrew.

I wanted one (or a few) of WatchGecko's new tropic straps, but they're too long for my wrist.
Had the same idea about using a Bader/Omega style deployant so the longer length runs inside, so good to see it in action.

I recall seeing a deployant that also had a metal piece filling the gap where the middle part of the buckle usually sits.
My 'Googling' skills are really being put to the test trying to find it again.
Ryan
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

That's a great result Andrew :thumbup:
They both appear to work well and, with the Horween strap, it means that you don't need to cut the keeper off.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I was going to ask you about that! I bought a deployant from WatchGecko for a leather strap for my 1675. It is the kind that allows for the tail to still be routed through the keepers. Looks cleaner IMO. I have also found that reversing the pieces so the tail is at 12 and the buckle is at 6 (Seiko style) helps when putting it on. Really like the look on the C65.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:53 pm I was going to ask you about that! I bought a deployant from WatchGecko for a leather strap for my 1675. It is the kind that allows for the tail to still be routed through the keepers. Looks cleaner IMO. I have also found that reversing the pieces so the tail is at 12 and the buckle is at 6 (Seiko style) helps when putting it on. Really like the look on the C65.
I hear what you’re saying about a cleaner look. I initially had the clasp from the tropic on the C65 because I thought the excess strap being routed under would look cleaner (and it’s the higher quality clasp). But it didn’t look cleaner because of the permanently attached strap keeper!

Swapping clasps between the straps/watches clearly makes for a cleaner look on both now...and makes them both usable. I’m a very happy camper.
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

StrappedUp wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:57 am Thanks for posting this Andrew.

I wanted one (or a few) of WatchGecko's new tropic straps, but they're too long for my wrist.
Had the same idea about using a Bader/Omega style deployant so the longer length runs inside, so good to see it in action.

I recall seeing a deployant that also had a metal piece filling the gap where the middle part of the buckle usually sits.
Ryan I ended up getting one of those tropics in the sale. From the measurements I knew that the strap would be longer than ideal for my 7” wrist, but thought it worth a punt at the further reduced sale price, plus used the WATCHGECKO10 code for an additional discount.

Yep longer than ideal, other than for those that like a long tail on a strap.

However I have sorted the problem! :)
image.jpg
Much better know. I went for a simple diagonal cut, to give a similar end to an isofrane.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

nbg wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:06 pm However I have sorted the problem! :)
image.jpg
Much better know. I went for a simple diagonal cut, to give a similar end to an isofrane.

Neil
Be interested to see how it looks on the watch/wrist :thumbup:
Ryan
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

StrappedUp wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:17 pm
nbg wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:06 pm However I have sorted the problem! :)
image.jpg

Neil
Be interested to see how it looks on the watch/wrist :thumbup:
4FB54A83-0183-43B4-856B-E1A89AD85CB1.jpeg
Sort of ok.

Although I cut from the underside, rather than top down and can see that I need to tidy the line slightly.

Probably would have been better to have been a bit more patient and used a Stanley knife. Rather than think “I am going to trim it now”, whilst cooking. Taking off the watch and picking up the nearest kitchen knife, probably not the best idea! :)

Neil
TZ-UK
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

I may give one a go while they're on sale then.

Is that a 22mm for your SC?
Ryan
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

nbg wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:06 pm Much better know. I went for a simple diagonal cut, to give a similar end to an isofrane.
With the ISOfrane, is there any utility to the angled end of the strap, or is it purely cosmetic?
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:39 am
nbg wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:06 pm Much better know. I went for a simple diagonal cut, to give a similar end to an isofrane.
With the ISOfrane, is there any utility to the angled end of the strap, or is it purely cosmetic?
I don’t really know Andrew. My guess - purely cosmetic.

Neil
TZ-UK
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

StrappedUp wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:19 am I may give one a go while they're on sale then.

Is that a 22mm for your SC?
Sure is. I will take a pic and put it up in CW of the day. A tight fit at the lugs.

Neil
TZ-UK
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

StrappedUp wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:57 am I recall seeing a deployant that also had a metal piece filling the gap where the middle part of the buckle usually sits.
You aren’t thinking of the IWC deployant are you? These have the piece you describe but don’t fit like the Bader style deployant. Even without the piece, the tail of the strap would hide the gap, but it’s typical of IWCs attention to detail to include it anyway.
73554F0A-B821-4711-94B0-C7CA41CDDA3F.jpeg
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

I may have been Iain. I did see these during my searches, but discounted them on the basis that the longer part sits on top like a regular strap.

Obviously the Omegas, Tags etc are meant to be used with OEM straps and therefore have no need for that 'aesthetic' piece.
There's a gap for an aftermarket bader-style buckle with it though.

I will update if I come across what I thought I saw :D
Ryan