Broken QR Pin on C65 Bracelet

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Broken QR Pin on C65 Bracelet

Post by JasperCat »

Not quite sure how this has happened, but I went to put my Cranwell back on its bracelet and having squeezed the pins together, inserted into place and then released, I found one of the QR pins/posts came away under my fingernail :shock:

The bracelet is secure and I think I can still release it either by opening on the remaining pin or even using spring bar tool on the hole left where the pin was :?

Not sure this is worth sending the bracelet in for repair or whether it's even possible (looks very fiddly trying to push the pin back in myself!)... may just leave it on the bracelet anyway now, as I'm tending to keep all my automatics on bracelet anyway now for convenience :thumbup:

C65_Cranwell_QR_Pin_Broken.jpg
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Broken QR Pin on C65 Bracelet

Post by H0rati0 »

Well now, that's an interesting one. Surely worth an email to CW and see what they have to say?
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

That is interesting. Is there a hole where the release pin use to be or can you see metal in there? I looked at mine under a loupe and can't tell if it is pressure fit or threaded. Anyway, if enough material is gone there might be just enough room to get a spring bar tool tip in the old hole to get it off. That way you wouldn't need to send the whole thing in. Alternatively you could remove the retention plate (held on by the two small screws). This would be trickier because there may be some Locktite type compound on those. I would definitely contact CW on it though.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

H0rati0 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:15 pm Well now, that's an interesting one. Surely worth an email to CW and see what they have to say?
Yes, I am going to email them and see what they say... it’s about 7 months old.

It’s not the end of the world, but I think they would like to know anyway that it is possible to fail
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

rkovars wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:27 pm That is interesting. Is there a hole where the release pin use to be or can you see metal in there? I looked at mine under a loupe and can't tell if it is pressure fit or threaded. Anyway, if enough material is gone there might be just enough room to get a spring bar tool tip in the old hole to get it off. That way you wouldn't need to send the whole thing in. Alternatively you could remove the retention plate (held on by the two small screws). This would be trickier because there may be some Locktite type compound on those. I would definitely contact CW on it though.
There’s definitely a hole and the pin that came out isn’t threaded. I think I could (just) push it back in with some effort (under a loupe) but then not convinced it would stay in anyway.

I’ll try and see if I can get the end of my Bergeon in that hole and push it open.

Definitely advising CW anyway, as I’m sure they would like to know anyway for information...
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

As it happens I have another C65 bracelet anyway (came on my C65 316L LE), so happy to return this one to CW for them to investigate... no rush for return :thumbup:

Only mildly annoying as I was going to keep the bracelet on anyway now. I’ve probably swapped it out about 4 or 5 times only.
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

JasperCat wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:37 pm
rkovars wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:27 pm That is interesting. Is there a hole where the release pin use to be or can you see metal in there? I looked at mine under a loupe and can't tell if it is pressure fit or threaded. Anyway, if enough material is gone there might be just enough room to get a spring bar tool tip in the old hole to get it off. That way you wouldn't need to send the whole thing in. Alternatively you could remove the retention plate (held on by the two small screws). This would be trickier because there may be some Locktite type compound on those. I would definitely contact CW on it though.
There’s definitely a hole and the pin that came out isn’t threaded. I think I could (just) push it back in with some effort (under a loupe) but then not convinced it would stay in anyway.

I’ll try and see if I can get the end of my Bergeon in that hole and push it open.

Definitely advising CW anyway, as I’m sure they would like to know anyway for information...
Pressure fit then. Probably with some Loctite. Might take a third hand to hold the watch but I would think you could get one of the Bergeon forks in there.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

rkovars wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:54 pm
Pressure fit then. Probably with some Loctite. Might take a third hand to hold the watch but I would think you could get one of the Bergeon forks in there.
It's pressure fit and the hole is small, too small to get the thin (non fork) end of the Bergeon into, but I have been able to get a sewing machine need in there and can push the bracelet retaining pin back and forth quite easily. I can therefore take the bracelet off as and when needed, but would likely be a pain to get back on again, as the spring bar fork end can't be used. Needed the loupe as well to see the hole, with my (slightly) ageing eyes now :lol:

I think that a watchmaker/jeweller could almost certainly hammer that QR pin stub back it with the right tools, but my immediate course of action is to ask CW what they think I should do first.

Thanks all for suggestions :thumbup:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I would advise not to try and get the pin back in. It would seem from your description to be a pressure/interference fit and to get that back in probably a good degree of force will be required - not to be attempted on the watch and really you want the pin out of the bracelet, while of course these are small components. Not worth the risk given your comfortable situation for bracelets and straps - leave it to CW. It's also possible there is a batch with a manufacturing fault, so it would be interesting to know if any more turn up.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

For reference, this is photo of the QR pin/tab that came out... it does indeed look like it was just pushed into place as no sign of any threading.

This is as close as I can photograph with my iPhone, and even then it's zoomed in, this thing is tiny :lol:

C65_Cranwell_QR_Pin_Tab.jpg
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

H0rati0 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:13 pm I would advise not to try and get the pin back in. It would seem from your description to be a pressure/interference fit and to get that back in probably a good degree of force will be required - not to be attempted on the watch and really you want the pin out of the bracelet, while of course these are small components. Not worth the risk given your comfortable situation for bracelets and straps - leave it to CW. It's also possible there is a batch with a manufacturing fault, so it would be interesting to know if any more turn up.
Agreed, I don't have the eyesight and/or tools to align and push this in with the force required :shock:

Emailing them and will return it to them if that's what they want to do... I'll update on here with the outcome, thanks :thumbup:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

They will probably give you a new bracelet. If they did decide to fix it they would probably just replace the whole spring bar. An easier repair. If they give you a new one we should look for a C65 bracelet in the next sale!
Jack London
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

rkovars wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:00 pm They will probably give you a new bracelet. If they did decide to fix it they would probably just replace the whole spring bar. An easier repair. If they give you a new one we should look for a C65 bracelet in the next sale!
Ok, well I'll let you know and then if they can indeed repair it, look out indeed :lol:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

The bracelet is under warranty. Return for them to fix or replace. In reality it’s nearly £200 retail and should last!

Good luck
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:38 pm The bracelet is under warranty. Return for them to fix or replace. In reality it’s nearly £200 retail and should last!

Good luck
Technically the bracelet isn’t covered by the warranty (see screenshot), it’s arguably wear and tear... however I’m sure they’ll sort something out for me, especially as I’ve bought a fair number of watches from them this month alone :thumbup:

36392C1D-C74E-4BC8-816E-1534DC2F704F.jpeg
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King