Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Forstner Bracelets for Speedys

Post by gaf1958 »

A few weeks ago I wrote (and I quote):

I’ve never been a fan of Forstner bracelets (although they may be steel, I nonetheless think of them more as straps).

I’ll get to that statement later... In the meantime, here’s a different style Forstner bracelet; a flat link vintage Speedy style that (unlike vintage originals) has solid end links.

Now the fit is not 100% perfect - it is very good where it counts, in sitting solidly against the case, but it doesn’t follow the curved line of the trademark Omega lyre lugs at the part where the end link meets the bracelet. However, to give them their due, that’s pretty much the same line that the original folded end links followed, so it’s probably more in the spirit of following the original, rather than following the line of the lugs.

That also means that it sits quite low in the section between the lugs; again following the line of the original end links - but the fit into the case is much more secure than the originals; it also doesn’t rattle like the originals do.

These are available polished and brushed, or all brushed; I went with the latter as it’s suits me better and I also think that it suits the Speedmaster better as a tool watch. Links are held together by double ended screw pins.

The original Omega clasp cover can be fitted for anyone who wants to complete the look, but I’m fine with the one that it comes with. BTW, the last few links close to the clasp on the 12 o’clock side, have a built in “stretch” (via springs) to provide a great fit if your wrist grows a bit in the warmer parts of the day. Well thought out...

Now, the particular “bracelet” under discussion at the beginning of my post was this style below. Worlds apart in my book, but I can say that I’ll revise my statement a little. I like the flat link original Speedmaster style Forstner; quite a bit actually - it’s been a very comfortable bracelet to wear with a Speedy all day long. The other “strap style” Forstner; still not a fan...

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Forstner Bracelets for Speedys

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Interesting write up Gary. Thank you.

As a bit of a ignoramus when it comes to Speedy specifications, I presume that what you are saying about the fitted end links not flowing with the line of the lugs, as you might expect, is that it is actually more authentic.

Two leading questions.

How does the Forstner compare with the Uncle Seiko(?) equivalent flat link bracelet?

Will you be putting it a bulk order for the Forstner?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Forstner Bracelets for Speedys

Post by gaf1958 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:How does the Forstner compare with the Uncle Seiko(?) equivalent flat link bracelet?

Will you be putting it a bulk order for the Forstner?
Overall, I think the Forstner is better made than the Uncle Seiko, but it’s worth remembering that US had a stated goal of making it as close to the original vintage bracelets as possible - lightweight and including the rattles typically found in a vintage bracelet. Image

The Forstner is more like a modern interpretation of a vintage bracelet. The clasp is the only part that both looks and works like a vintage one; the rest of it merely looks like a vintage bracelet, but is improved in many ways making it (imo) a more desirable product. Mind you, it’s twice the price of the Uncle Seiko, but still a fraction of the OEM product, if you can buy one.

As to your second question Guy, I ordered three of them - two in 20mm and one in 19mm for the FOIS - my wife may one day get her Aqua Terra bracelet back. Or not... Image
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Watch Obsession are now stocking a range of Forstner bracelets.

Well I was so taken by the style of flat link brushed/polished bracelet on my Seamaster 300 Heritage, that I thought I would try a similar look for my Speedmaster.
E37281EA-1DEA-4226-940B-A2D0BE354357.jpeg
71D59769-F33B-4035-AC56-CA843D8ABB3D.jpeg
1B61DA31-0A15-4753-B673-4CD07EC54D5D.jpeg
97EDBE6C-0B91-4A0F-9D82-5FF26500B4BD.jpeg
To me a vast improvement on the wrist and comfort to the standard Speedmaster OEM. :)

Easy to remove links, easy to fit and comes with a screwdriver, handy for those that didn’t already have one of the correct size.

Well done Forstner. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Forstner recently released their version of the 1450 bracelet. I'm patiently waiting for some comparison reviews with the Uncle Seiko 1450. The price difference is only $20, and I expect the biggest differences will be in the fit (the Forstner includes two stretch links) and possibly the finishing. Some people say the US is not as well finished as it could be.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Chris I have the US President bracelet for my Sarb017. In an ideal world I would have liked to be able to have had one more removable link on the 6 side, as at the moment the bracelet is fractionally longer on the 6 side, than 12. I would prefer it the other way around.

The flat link Forstner has more removable links.

That may or may not be an issue for you, if the number of removable links on the US 1450 is similar to the US President.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Good info Neil. The 1171 bracelet comes in 2 lengths, but the 1450 only comes in one length. I have small wrists, so I will have to look closely at the lengths of both.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.