Loose pin on a CW bracelet

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Loose pin on a CW bracelet

Post by jkbarnes »

For the first time in the many years I’ve owned it, I’ve noticed a pin coming out of a link on my CW bracelet. This a pre-quick release version that does have the micro adjuster. It was sticking out maybe two tenths of an inch, and I quickly pushed it back in.

Does this occasionally happen? Or is this out of the norm and a sign of an issue? This occurred after I wore the watch in a hot shower, if that has any relevance. I don’t normally do that.
Drew
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Loose pin on a CW bracelet

Post by Thegreyman »

I have this same issue on my C60 Trident mk2 bracelet Andrew. It first happened a few months ago when the bracelet completely separated, luckily I was seated at the time and I caught the watch before it fell. I pushed the pin back in firmly however I have noticed it starting to stick out a bit again. I've just ordered some Thread Lock (222 strength) so will apply that to the offending pin to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I'd recommend you do the same to avoid the risk of your watch going flying onto a hard floor.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I thought I had replied to this, but it's disappeared.
(I found it - I had two sessions to the forum open, and it was awaiting submission on the other session!)

The pins pass through collars. On my C65, the collars live in the centre section of the link, and are as long as that section - at least 10mm. What you might find is that it's real hard to get the pins back in. As only about 2/10in (4mm) is showing, they are still only partly out, but might catch on clothing.

The pins, collars, and bracelet links all expand with heat. It might seem counter intuitive, but it does mean the hole in the middle of the cylinder gets wider, not smaller - although the pin also gets wider. So as a result the pin might become looser, and might slip out, and that sounds as if it happened. Maybe that's why it was easy to push it back in. I doubt it would be so easy with a cold bracelet.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. I’m assuming the likely culprit here was that long, hot shower. If it happens again, I’ll follow up with some thread lock.
Drew
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Steel expands at 12 parts per MILLION for each 1 degree centigrade (1.8 degree Fahrenheit) of temperature rise, so I’d be surprised if a slightly warmer wrist caused a loose pin.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:31 pm Steel expands at 12 parts per MILLION for each 1 degree centigrade (1.8 degree Fahrenheit) of temperature rise, so I’d be surprised if a slightly warmer wrist caused a loose pin.
Well, it was a pretty hot shower and my wife keeps the house cold as hell. 😉
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:31 pm Steel expands at 12 parts per MILLION for each 1 degree centigrade (1.8 degree Fahrenheit) of temperature rise, so I’d be surprised if a slightly warmer wrist caused a loose pin.
I was surprised. I was also surprised Andrew was able to push the pin back in. How do you think a pin would work its way out.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Remove the pin and collar.

Take a small pair of cutting pliers and squeeze (gently) the collar in the center to close it up a bit. Test by pushing in the pin to make certain the pin doesn't drop through before reassembly. Not the best solution, but usually works if you don't have spare collars about.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

JAFO wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:54 pm
I was surprised. I was also surprised Andrew was able to push the pin back in. How do you think a pin would work its way out.
I don’t really know but the pin also keeps coming out on my bracelet per my post above and there have been no temperature changes of any note involved.

Kips suggestion sounds a good one.
Patrick

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ll follow through on Kip’s suggestion next time it happens. At this point, I don’t remember which pin it was!
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

jkbarnes wrote:I’ll follow through on Kip’s suggestion next time it happens. At this point, I don’t remember which pin it was!
If you've pushed it back in and its not moved or fallen out, that's problem solved, isn't it?

Until the next time?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:35 pm I’ll follow through on Kip’s suggestion next time it happens. At this point, I don’t remember which pin it was!
Kip's suggestion makes sense, but what he says at the end ("if you don't have spare collars about") makes me think the best thing to do is harvest a collar from an extra link left over when the bracelet was originally sized (again, if you have it).
Best regards,
John
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Kip wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:16 pm Remove the pin and collar.

Take a small pair of cutting pliers and squeeze (gently) the collar in the center to close it up a bit. Test by pushing in the pin to make certain the pin doesn't drop through before reassembly. Not the best solution, but usually works if you don't have spare collars about.
Kip, if you'll indulge me I should like to ask do you know why this happens from your experience? If the pin and collar have been cozy for some time, why should it suddenly work loose - unless there is wear? In which case a new pin/collar would be the definitive solution?

Thanks

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Isn't the point of thread lock that it works on threads? Just saying :)

It might work on a pin and collar, but I wouldn't.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

It's not easy to source pins and collars, is it?