Moose Strap Co. tropic strap: UPDATE

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Moose Strap Co. tropic strap: UPDATE

Post by jkbarnes »

Just took delivery of a 22mm tropic strap from Moose Strap Co. for my modded Seiko Sea Urchin. I love it! The FKM rubber is incredibly soft and supple. I anticipate it will be quite comfortable to wear. And the quick release pins are convenient.

My only minor quibbles:
One hole is a bit too tight, the next hole is too loose. I wish there was one that was just right.
Also, the length of the strap is on the long side for my wrist. So there’s a lot of extra strap wrapping around my wrist.

As I said though, these are minor.

4916899D-B424-4E33-973B-62003BF40ACF.jpeg
5FF2B3A9-349E-4841-8E42-F27A1480AE0E.jpeg
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: Moose Strap Co. tropic strap

Post by Viognier »

Nice addition Andrew. Looks sharp on the Urchin!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:41 pm Just took delivery of a 22mm tropic strap for Moose Strap Co. for my modded Seiko Sea Urchin. I love it! The FKM rubber is incredibly soft and supple. I anticipate it will be quite comfortable to wear. And the quick release pins are convenient.

My only minor quibbles:
One hole is a bit too tight, the next hole is too loose. I wish there was one that was just right.
Also, the length of the strap is on the long side for my wrist. So there’s a lot of extra strap wrapping around my wrist.

As I said though, these are minor.

Thanks for this post. I was interested in your thoughts on this new tropic strap and I'm glad to hear you like it. Incidentally, I'm between hole sizes on the CW tropic straps I bought so I know your pain :(

I deleted my question on the "Non CW of the Day" thread since I saw this topic after the fact. Please ignore any notification you might have received regarding that question.
Best regards,
John
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

Looks good....

Re the length, a shorter buckle might help with hole positioning - I found that recently with a strap I bought, buckle it came with same as you one hole too tight, one too loose. Switched the buckle to one that happens to be shorter and bingo..
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

gannet wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:51 pm Looks good....

Re the length, a shorter buckle might help with hole positioning - I found that recently with a strap I bought, buckle it came with same as you one hole too tight, one too loose. Switched the buckle to one that happens to be shorter and bingo..
Exactly my suggestion. Try and find a slightly shorter or longer buckle; doesn't need to be by much 1 - 2mm will do.

Interesting the strap is longer than you need; bodes well if I decide to get one :wink:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

gannet wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:51 pm Looks good....

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:57 pm Exactly my suggestion. Try and find a slightly shorter or longer buckle; doesn't need to be by much 1 - 2mm will do.

Interesting the strap is longer than you need; bodes well if I decide to get one :wink:

Guy

Brilliant suggestion! I’m going to go digging through some old straps to see if I have buckle that fits the bill.

Thanks gentlemen!
Drew
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Looks good Andrew..

It's a little unsophisticated, I know, but I wonder if anyone would notice if you pierced your own hole in the right spot given that the overall pattern of the strap involves a lot of holes?? :-k

cheers
Ian
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Depending how thick those straps are you might be able to replace the clasp with a bader style clasp. It looks like the keepers are both removable. I think that would suit it very well. If not an ordinary deployant would be ok. Sometimes rubber straps are too thick for closure clasps.

I was able to source a couple of bader types from China at about £5 each. They will probably arrive around March!

[Edit. I looked it up and it says 3mm thick so it may be a bit tight for a deployant]
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Tortoise wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:15 am Looks good Andrew..

It's a little unsophisticated, I know, but I wonder if anyone would notice if you pierced your own hole in the right spot given that the overall pattern of the strap involves a lot of holes?? :-k

cheers
That was the first thing I thought of doing. But the waffle pattern on the underside makes that impossible. The spot where the hole would go is right in the middle of a fat spot.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:27 am Depending how thick those straps are you might be able to replace the clasp with a bader style clasp. It looks like the keepers are both removable. I think that would suit it very well. If not an ordinary deployant would be ok. Sometimes rubber straps are too thick for closure clasps.

I was able to source a couple of bader types from China at about £5 each. They will probably arrive around March!

[Edit. I looked it up and it says 3mm thick so it may be a bit tight for a deployant]
That’s usually the first thing I do with all straps. I’ll add either a deployant or a butterfly clasp.

I think this strap is too thick for one though. And to be honest, I don’t know that I’d want one on an old school, tropic strap. It’s seems contrary to the spirit of the strap, you know?
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think omega put rubber straps on their bader type closures, don't they. I'm not sure how thick their straps are though.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

JAFO wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:53 am I think omega put rubber straps on their bader type closures, don't they. I'm not sure how thick their straps are though.
yes they do.
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:39 am That’s usually the first thing I do with all straps. I’ll add either a deployant or a butterfly clasp.
I may be able to help Andrew
DSC_0003.JPG
These may work 22mm on the left; 20mm on the right.
DSC_0004.JPG
Then there's the other type of clasp.
One unbranded and one Omega (on the far right) - both 20mm.
Omega deployment clasp will work threading it through
DSC_0005.JPG
but may be tight attaching it to the other end
DSC_0006.JPG
All surplus to requirements :wink:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

StrapMeister wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:11 pm
JAFO wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:53 am I think omega put rubber straps on their bader type closures, don't they. I'm not sure how thick their straps are though.
yes they do.
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:39 am That’s usually the first thing I do with all straps. I’ll add either a deployant or a butterfly clasp.
I may be able to help Andrew
DSC_0003.JPG
These may work 22mm on the left; 20mm on the right.
DSC_0004.JPG
Then there's the other type of clasp.
One unbranded and one Omega (on the far right) - both 20mm.
Omega deployment clasp will work threading it through
DSC_0005.JPG
but may be tight attaching it to the other end
DSC_0006.JPG
All surplus to requirements :wink:
That’s quite a collection of deployants! I’ll need to think on whether I want to add one to a rubber strap. As I mentioned earlier, I think the old school nature of a tropic strap might be better suited to a buckle.
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I've read on the CWE Group that Watchgecko have a new FKM rubber tropic strap coming out soon.

Maybe it is similar to the Moose Strap Co one.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

With regard to the deployant straps, you can see on @strapmeisters pictures that at least some have a wider space closure to accommodate a thicker rubber strap.

It doesn't necessarily solve the sizing issue, as the strap length is still determined by the position of the closure hole you use. I just think the bader clasp style looks so elegant. Note that with a bader clasp you could just cut off some excess strap if it's ridiculously long, as you never see it (and if you don't mind cutting the strap) and you don't have keepers to bother about.