Moose Strap Co. tropic strap: UPDATE

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Moose Strap Co. tropic strap

Post by jkbarnes »

Just got home and took a look at the buckle. It’s already a quite short. I can’t imagine I could find one shorter. I think it’s going to be find just the way it is. Thanks everyone for the feedback. It’s much appreciated.
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

jkbarnes wrote:Just got home and took a look at the buckle. It’s already a quite short. I can’t imagine I could find one shorter. I think it’s going to be find just the way it is. Thanks everyone for the feedback. It’s much appreciated.
Go longer then?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

As it happens, I just bought a few omega/bader style closures from china for about £5 each.

I have a Davidoff diver with a rubber strap which has been a bit of a pain, as the strap is thick, and the keepers move around. I didn't think the new closure would accommodate the thick rubber, but it fits perfectly, and makes the watch much more pleasant to wear.

Now what would be better is to swap the strap parts over, as it would position the clasp in a much better position, but these are the hardest lug fittings. If I wear it with the winder to the inside of the watch, the strap is positioned perfectly.

There is no access point on the back of the strap, and the metal piece forming part of the lug assembly just makes it virtually impossible to extricate the strap.

I checked a CW bader strap I have, and they seem to have different lengths for straps designed for a "bader" clasp, to solve this problem.

Anyway, here's a few photos with the bader clasp. Amazing how a big photo picks up marks that just aren't there. You can see the rubber strap fits snugly in the clasp, and the surplus goes under the clasp.
IMG_20210112_103059693_HDR~2.jpg
the tricky lug fittings.
IMG_20210112_103121781_HDR~2.jpg
open
IMG_20210112_104238897_HDR~2.jpg
closed
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:21 am
jkbarnes wrote:Just got home and took a look at the buckle. It’s already a quite short. I can’t imagine I could find one shorter. I think it’s going to be find just the way it is. Thanks everyone for the feedback. It’s much appreciated.
Go longer then?

Guy

That never occurred to me! I’ll give that a go, and I might even have a slightly longer buckle on hand.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

FIT UPDATE

I just added an Omega style deployant clasp to the strap, with the excess strap tucking underneath. On the fifth hole from the end, the fit was a too loose. On the sixth hole it was too tight. Inspired by a post from Neil (NBG) where he trimmed some excess off a tropic strap, I decided to give it a go. I cut off about ¾”, where the strap would have extended beyond the clasp and along the side of my wrist. The fit on the sixth whole (now the 5th hole!) is damn near perfect now!

95D9ADC2-CB52-42CD-810B-D7E697E7D19A.jpeg
40D6C63F-2725-4C88-A193-EC3C2F77A7DD.jpeg
FE79B55D-C118-4211-881F-E90F121FD65C.jpeg
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: Moose Strap Co. tropic strap: UPDATE

Post by Viognier »

Well 'McGyvered' Neil and Andrew!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:21 am
Go longer then?

Guy

Resurrecting an old thread here....

I did just as Guy suggested and went with a longer buckle - the one removed from the Peccary leather strap I purchased in the sale. It seems to be doing the trick! One hole was loose, the next hole too tight to wear. With the slightly longer buckle, the first hole is now way too loose, and the next hole is snug but wearable.

I’ll live with this for a bit too see if snug with one buckle is preferable to loose with another. It feels a bit odd to have a CW buckle on a Moose Strap Co. strap on Seiko watch!

By the way, the deployant clasp seen in the earlier pics is now on the Peccary leather CW strap!
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Moose Strap Co. tropic strap: UPDATE

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^Sounds like a good work around. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England