Speedmaster bracelets - Uncle Seiko

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Maraeburn
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by Maraeburn »

I came across uncle seiko on Instagram and quickly found he’s an expert at building bracelets for seikos in familiar styles eg presidential, oyster, jubilee, and flat link.

He’s moved on to Speedmaster bracelets and has produced 4 variants so far; beads or rice, holitzer, presidential and Now flat link. Reviews have been great from the guys on omega forum.

He’s just released what looks to be the best one yet - a flat link that tapers down to 16mm at the buckle, looks very similar to the flat link on the 1957 trilogy speed master, and more recently the 50th. He’s produced them for 19mm and 20mm Speedy’s.

I’ve just placed my order, no doubt given the popularity that the first batch will sell out very fast. Think this will add a new dimension to my pro, as I think the omega bracelet is just too big and heavy. Will post pictures when I have it!

https://www.uncleseiko.com/store/c20/Omega.html
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Speedmaster bracelets - Uncle Seiko

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Uncle Seiko is a genius and I love that 1171 bracelet. :)

I have three of his Seiko bracelets and every one is perfect for fit and finish and matching the originals.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

It'sAliveJim wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:33 am Uncle Seiko is a genius and I love that 1171 bracelet. :)

I have three of his Seiko bracelets and every one is perfect for fit and finish and matching the originals.
I think saying they match the originals is insulting to Uncle Seiko. Seiko OE bracelets are generally rattly and cheap, hence the reason people upgrade to Uncle Seiko.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

Maraeburn wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:05 am He’s just released what looks to be the best one yet - a flat link that tapers down to 16mm at the buckle, looks very similar to the flat link on the 1957 trilogy speed master, and more recently the 50th. He’s produced them for 19mm and 20mm Speedy’s.
Thanks for posting that. Order placed!
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Yes, very useful info, thanks! I placed an order a couple of hours ago for two styles, one will find its way onto my MkII Seamaster 300 (which definitely takes Speedy bracelets, even the solid end link style). The other may or may not find it’s way onto a Speedy...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

Thanks for posting. I'm going to get one of the flat link ones for my Speedy I think!
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Lavaine wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:51 am
It'sAliveJim wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:33 am Uncle Seiko is a genius and I love that 1171 bracelet. :)

I think saying they match the originals is insulting to Uncle Seiko. Seiko OE bracelets are generally rattly and cheap, hence the reason people upgrade to Uncle Seiko.

Ah, I like the old rattly Seiko bracelets :lol:

But I meant matched them in an aesthetic sense rather than in quality.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

does the 1171 come with matching end links?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Maraeburn
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Maraeburn »

golfjunky wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:57 pm does the 1171 come with matching end links?
I believe so!
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

thanks.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Maraeburn
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Maraeburn »

:D
gaf1958 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:55 am Yes, very useful info, thanks! I placed an order a couple of hours ago for two styles, one will find its way onto my MkII Seamaster 300 (which definitely takes Speedy bracelets, even the solid end link style). The other may or may not find it’s way onto a Speedy...
“May or may not” :D

Well you have a lot of speedys to find one that works for it!
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

It'sAliveJim wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:49 am
Lavaine wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:51 am

Ah, I like the old rattly Seiko bracelets :lol:

But I meant matched them in an aesthetic sense rather than in quality.
I actually quite like the 007 bracelet, but a sturdier bracelet would be nice. Maybe I'll add an Uncle Seiko at some point. In the meantime, I'm REALLY liking the 1171 Speedy bracelet.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Lavaine wrote:I think saying they match the originals is insulting to Uncle Seiko. Seiko OE bracelets are generally rattly and cheap, hence the reason people upgrade to Uncle Seiko.
In light of this, I thought it interesting that the description on one of the bracelets includes this:

I am fairly new to the Omega community, buying my first Speedmaster about 5 years ago. Since then I have been talking to a lot of collectors about what makes those original (vintage) bracelets so special. I got very similar answers from everyone; they need to be light and jangly. The new Speedy releases are on heavy bracelets which, while feeling solid and secure, do not balance the weight of the watch very well. The genius of those early releases was that while the bracelet was surprisingly light and seemed less significant, it makes for a far more enjoyable experience. As one collector told me, "light and rattly is the language of our people."

This is kind of what I’m hoping for with my Seamaster 300 (one of the other vintage designs that Speedy bracelets fit). I had it on a Broad Arrow Speedy bracelet for quite a while and while it looked great, the solid, quite chunky bracelet didn’t seem to go with the character of the 50 year old design; it’s been on leather straps since.

It’s something I noticed with the MkII Speedys - the reissue on it’s admittedly very nice bracelet wears a lot bigger than the almost identically size original MkII on the original slimmer, lighter bracelets.

I’m hoping that one of these Uncle Seiko bracelets will be a good choice for the 300... something lighter, more flexible than the Broad Arrow bracelet - but maybe something not too jangly... :|
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Maraeburn
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Maraeburn »

gaf1958 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:26 am
Lavaine wrote:I think saying they match the originals is insulting to Uncle Seiko. Seiko OE bracelets are generally rattly and cheap, hence the reason people upgrade to Uncle Seiko.
In light of this, I thought it interesting that the description on one of the bracelets includes this:

I am fairly new to the Omega community, buying my first Speedmaster about 5 years ago. Since then I have been talking to a lot of collectors about what makes those original (vintage) bracelets so special. I got very similar answers from everyone; they need to be light and jangly. The new Speedy releases are on heavy bracelets which, while feeling solid and secure, do not balance the weight of the watch very well. The genius of those early releases was that while the bracelet was surprisingly light and seemed less significant, it makes for a far more enjoyable experience. As one collector told me, "light and rattly is the language of our people."

This is kind of what I’m hoping for with my Seamaster 300 (one of the other vintage designs that Speedy bracelets fit). I had it on a Broad Arrow Speedy bracelet for quite a while and while it looked great, the solid, quite chunky bracelet didn’t seem to go with the character of the 50 year old design; it’s been on leather straps since.

It’s something I noticed with the MkII Speedys - the reissue on it’s admittedly very nice bracelet wears a lot bigger than the almost identically size original MkII on the original slimmer, lighter bracelets.

I’m hoping that one of these Uncle Seiko bracelets will be a good choice for the 300... something lighter, more flexible than the Broad Arrow bracelet - but maybe something not too jangly... :|

Yes I know exactly what you mean - really looking forward to mine! Although will probably cost a bit more due if it get's held up in customs...
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Received the two I ordered -the flat link and 1171 styles. I tried them quickly on my Seamaster 300 (the old style from the 60s/70s) and decided Yvan the 1171 was the pick of the two.

The only problem with them is that the folded end links are dead straight on top, which doesn’t sit correctly on the vintage case - the lyre lugs curve downward too much on the inner edge for them to seat correctly (they must have more curve than speedy lugs do).

The solution was, of course, to bend them. I figured the best way was to use a pair if spring bar curving pliers, as they maintain a good curve without folding the metal at any one point. I fitted the end link to the bracelet first, to make sure that the link mount alignment didn’t change when it was bent and used a cloth to protect the link from the pliers. Next tine, I think I’ll use masking tape for that...

Anyway, it worked well, with the end links fitting the case much better. Looking at the photos, I think I’ll go back and bend them a little more to fit a bit more closely, but they’ll do as a starter for today... after all, to the naked eye, the gap is MUCH less noticeable than it is to the camera.

The bracelet is built very much like the original 1171 - in other words it’s lightweight, uses cotter (split) pins to hold the links together and (of course) uses folded end links. The clasp is pretty similar to the clasp of the time, but with the Uncle Seiko stylised “U” as the logo in place of the Omega symbol. I’ll bet an Omega clasp would fit on the bracelet to make it look more original, but I think I used my only spare one on my MkII. Anyhooo, here are a couple of pics...

Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier