FLE 2011 proto photos

The third forum Limited Edition
Sold out
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: FLE 2011 proto photos

Post by downer »

Personally, I would sacrifice the 29/31 markers for the sake of having a larger sub-dial. When we did the mockups we were guessing where the sub-dial would need to be positioned, so I'm not surprised it was incorrect. To reinstate the 29/31 would mean quite a reduction in the sub-dial diameter - making it far less useful.

As for the logo, I agree with Nathan.

For the second-hand shaft, I'm not bothered either way. :)
Richard
scoot
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by scoot »

looking good and think that it will get plenty of air time :) wonder if this prototype will ever make it into a clearance sale... it would be truly unique and limited :)
C70 BE Ascari, C5 SST, C4 SKK, C6 SYSI, C7 RAF, C8 SKK
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

downer wrote:Personally, I would sacrifice the 29/31 markers for the sake of having a larger sub-dial. When we did the mockups we were guessing where the sub-dial would need to be positioned, so I'm not surprised it was incorrect. To reinstate the 29/31 would mean quite a reduction in the sub-dial diameter - making it far less useful.

As for the logo, I agree with Nathan.

For the second-hand shaft, I'm not bothered either way. :)
Don't like to disagree with you Richard but it was on the basis of your mock up that we subscribed to the FLE. To my eye the watch has changed significantly and it seems to me another example of sloppy design. What is the point of carefully describing minite markers all the way around the dial only for the minute hand to wallow in no man's land between 28/32 seconds. A smaller sub dial would be fine and the solution adopted by Stowa, Bell, Thomas Ninchritz and others using the Unitas movement. The movement and case are given so surely we must get the dial right avoiding unnecessary compromises like the wretched date positioning of the C60!! Maybe the 2011FLE committee should consult and perhaps vote on this.
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by alphajet »

robinbarke wrote:Can't wait to get mine!

Robin

PS The minute marks 28/32 seem to have disappeared - not so good as Downer's mock up. Can they be reinstated?
I think that the missing minute markers are a serious issue, I don't remember ever seeing a watch face like that. :shock:
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

Personally, I'm not going to change my mind because of the sub dial location, if CWL can have it shrunk just a tad then fine, but not too much or it'll look 'off'.

If it can't be moved; "Meh" :D

Let's not forget, this is pretty }#%^*+ close to the Committee's mock-ups and, frankly, looks fantastic and oozes class.

I'm in.

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
domndick
Senior
Senior

Post by domndick »

Leave as is...making the subdial smaller I think will spoil the look...I don't think we need worry to much exactly where the second hand is between 28 and 32....

I agree with Nathan and Downer on the CW logo - nice to include the Christopher Ward London - in my view it's something missing from the C70 which somehow cheapens the design
C40, C8 (black/blue mk1), C6, C600, C9 FLE, C90 Becketts and C8 cream mk1 all sold!
Got Junghans, Omega, Tag, Tissot, Seiko, Magrette, Laco, Hamilton, Giuliano Mazzuoli, GShock, Welder...and Tag Connected and Garmin Fenix 3....
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by alphajet »

domndick wrote:Leave as is...making the subdial smaller I think will spoil the look...I don't think we need worry to much exactly where the second hand is between 28 and 32....

omg...is it 28 seconds past or 29...I can't cope...phew only a second to wait until I know for sure...!
Or is it 28 or 29 Minutes past the hour, this is a watch after all and should tell the time reasonably accuratly. :(
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

alphajet wrote:
domndick wrote:Leave as is...making the subdial smaller I think will spoil the look...I don't think we need worry to much exactly where the second hand is between 28 and 32....

omg...is it 28 seconds past or 29...I can't cope...phew only a second to wait until I know for sure...!
Or is it 28 or 29 Minutes past the hour, this is a watch after all and should tell the time reasonably accuratly. :(

I would say that not being 100% sure whether it is 28 or 29 minutes past is reasonably accurate :)
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Loddonite »

Losing the vestigial 6 marker is a shame - I hardly noticed the lack of minute markers though - but I think I would hate a small subdial more.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

[quote="Kip"]

Further to a comment I made earlier regarding the second hand shaft, the pics above show one as black and one as white. Does Chris have two prototypes?
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Loddonite »

nathanclarinet wrote:... Does Chris have two prototypes?
Yes, one with Geneva stripes on the movement and one plain, as noted a few posts ago.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Clarky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Clarky »

I think it is just how the light is hitting the watch..... one photo just shows it up more than the other, in both instances (with the center colour and the geneva stripes)
I can resist everything, Except temptation
Oscar Wilde
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nathanclarinet »

Loddonite wrote:Thanks Kip (and Chris) for the peek into the future. It looks good to me.
alphajet wrote:Chris has some amazing photographic skills, not everyone could make those "Geneva stripes" disappear. :shock:
Methinks there are two prototypes there.
Gotcha :D Prefer the white version....
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Post by I.I.D »

Is there a formal waiting list for this watch should anyone decide to cancel their order?
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nathanclarinet »

Don't think so. Maybe you should start one :D Might be one to run past Kip, see what he thinks. Can't see too many (if any) passing it up though 8)