The third forum Limited Edition
Sold out
GwC67
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 7

Re: Thank You FLE Commision members

Post by GwC67 »

It has been my experience that decisions by committee are usually flawed. Consensus = no one is happy in the end. Not this time. Thanks to all the members who volunteered for this exercise. Order placed. Now the waiting begins!
C5RWR S7SWS C4SSTR C4SBTR C6SBSI C3GWG 2011LE C600 C60-TRI-SBS
Bonny
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20
LE-two: yes

Post by Bonny »

I think Tooks raises some good points, but that is of course just one way of looking at it. I would like to present a slightly different view.

I arrived at this forum in December 2009 having bought my first CW watch off Ebay, about a week before delivery of the 2009FLE was due.
When I caught sight of the FLE 09 Watch, I loved it. I loved the watch itself, I loved the idea that the forum had designed it, I loved that a manufacturer would "allow" the forum to design a watch and then build a tiny run of 100 of them and I loved the fact that even arriving at the last minute I was still able to choose a serial number that was meaningful to me.
For you long time WIS, the concept of a forum building an LE may be nothing special, but to me whether a watch forum or any other, this was an amazing concept.
I still love my 09 FLE, I wear it a lot and it is a special watch for me and yet I had no say in its design and construction at all.
I liked the look of it and the concept appealed to me; that I now have some kind of relationship through this board with the people who did design it simply strengthens that sense of "special".

I enjoyed looking at and making a few comments on the 2010 LE concepts as a novice, but the arrival of something altogether different is not compromised for me by the fact I didn't input to it. It was designed for the forum of which I am a part and feel a part, having arrived and been welcomed as a complete novice not so long back.
I think the new FLE does still carry the CW concept and I feel privileged to be able to have one in spite of it being the most expensive watch I have bought, ever.
For me, if "the Committee" can come up with designs like that, then I hope they'll carry on, because they will do a better job than I could.
I accept it may be that different things "grab me" from what motivates other people but I thought that I would share that.
C4SRS C3SWK C2LE No.24 C7STT C15RKK C5AKK C3GWTR C40SKK C70GB C600IPB C600IPY C60-GMT-SKKO C70FR C5RWT C9-CHR C8SWK C11 Auto C60 Jag C7 MkII BRG C90
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

The 'committee' was an experiment created by neccessity after the mooted 2010 LE got shot down. Something needed to be 'designed' in a fairly expeditious timescale...this indicated a smaller amount of members (as opposed to the whole forum)...as Kip said,the members invited to join have a range of views,tastes,grumpiness & weirdness etc so were seen as representative of the whole forum.
Admittedly it took longer than envisaged,but it turned out to be a lot of ideas and thoughts to discuss. If this had been open to the forum as a whole i can't see it having worked.
Yes,i know there is the old chestnut i've seen quoted already about a camel being a horse designed by committee..well,to counter with another chestnut,you can't please everyone. Whatever the committee came up with was not going to be unanimously welcomed on several grounds-looks,movement,size,price etc etc etc.
Its been good to see the positive comments on here,and also good to see that any critisisms have been made in a positve and friendly way (at least on this forum).
I will be the first to put my hand up and say that i would have liked to have seen it come in cheaper....but the price is as it is. In the end i suppose sales will reveal whether the package,as a whole,is right :)
Also,in answer to a previous question
Tooks wrote: How much did CW himself get involved, did he have power of veto as it was his brand going on the watch?
Only to anser questions & yes,i suppose so if it had come to it.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

'
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

Tyke wrote:
village wrote:Yes,i know there is the old chestnut i've seen quoted already about a camel being a horse designed by committee..well,to counter with another chestnut,you can't please everyone. .
My old chestnut of a quote was actually in support of your commissions ability to set out with a brief for a horse & NOT to end up with a camel. :? I'm sure I referred to it as a thoroghbred........

Tyke...i wasn't refering to your use of it,i was using it as a general comment.

Tyke wrote: I've spent far too long this morning pm'ing a growing number of people considering looking for a new forum to call home :shock: .
Do i understand this correctly?........the price of the LE (along with some other models) means that 'a growing number' of forum members are seriously considering leaving the CW forum permanantly?
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Tooks »

Just to reiterate, I am not criticising the outcome of the committee's efforts, more the process for future LE's.

I firmly believe it is possible to produce a watch with most of the forum's involvement, we managed it a couple of times before afterall.

I hear the 'time' argument too, but that looks a bit flawed when the 2010 LE has now been scrapped, and the 2011 one won't be here for another 9 or 10 months.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

well if you join a forum of a company proclaiming making non-expensive quality watches is it's core principle, then surely reconsideration has to be undertaken when those watches become mainstream expensive...
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

DSHall
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 22
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Thank You FLE Commision members

Post by DSHall »

+1 on what Bonny said. I didn't have a say in designing new Forum LE nor the C2 which I now own. Love them both. I agree that they are getting pricier, but so is everything. The new LE is at the top of what I would consider reasonable (for me). My notional budget was £300-£600. I had a choice, buy this or two cheaper models. I chose to buy this. I enjoy the posts from all the Forum members involved in design, they know far more than me (not hard!) and I was surprised and delighted with what they came up with. Still far cheaper than big brands, which are also going up in price and by far more than here. Number 100 heading my way!
downer

Post by downer »

DSHall wrote:+1 on what Bonny said. I didn't have a say in designing new Forum LE nor the C2 which I now own. Love them both. I agree that they are getting pricier, but so is everything. The new LE is at the top of what I would consider reasonable (for me). My notional budget was £300-£600. I had a choice, buy this or two cheaper models. I chose to buy this. I enjoy the posts from all the Forum members involved in design, they know far more than me (not hard!) and I was surprised and delighted with what they came up with. Still far cheaper than big brands, which are also going up in price and by far more than here. Number 100 heading my way!

Number 100. Nice one!

I think the logic of one watch versus two is very realistic. I have also come to the same conclusion. One unique watch with the FLE or two that can also be purchased at some point in the future? Quite an easy decision, really..
Richard
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by redd »

Tyke wrote:I've spent far too long this morning pm'ing a growing number of people considering looking for a new forum to call home :shock: .
I'm the latest. But will not quit here, just interested to know what else is out there - especially to learn about and discuss other manfacturers in the £150-£400 price range
Tony

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

redd wrote:
Tyke wrote:I've spent far too long this morning pm'ing a growing number of people considering looking for a new forum to call home :shock: .
I'm the latest. But will not quit here, just interested to know what else is out there - especially to learn about and discuss other manfacturers in the £150-£400 price range

Aren't we all :lol: .......that reminds me,i need to find some cash for that Strela with the Poljot 3133 mvt someone very inconsiderately posted :lol:
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

redd wrote:
Unless I am mistaken the vast majority of the CWL range is in that price bracket with a few going out of it.

Most people will be aware that I like Parnis watches which are in the under £60 bracket but I also like Breitling which are definitely not in the cheap bracket. There are plenty of other forums out there and I am a member of a few but I still consider this to be the best forum. This has always been an open forum and not limited to CWL watches. As has been mentioned some people have found out about Steinharts amd Seikos from here that they would not have known about otherwise.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by redd »

ianblyth wrote: Unless I am mistaken the vast majority of the CWL range is in that price bracket with a few going out of it.
Just not the ones I want, which is why I find myself buying similar spec/quality watches elsewhere - thx to the knowledge of other brands I continue to get from members here - like your good self.
ianblyth wrote: There are plenty of other forums out there and I am a member of a few but I still consider this to be the best forum. This has always been an open forum and not limited to CWL watches.
Not for one second would I disagree, I just know that I am personally self concious about banging on about other brands in the 'Christopher Ward' Forum - and yes, I'm very clear that this is a seperate and independent entity. I also know others feel the same.
Tony

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

redd wrote:, I just know that I am personally self concious about banging on about other brands in the 'Christopher Ward' Forum .
I honestly wouldn't worry about this....personally i prefer people to talk about as much different brands as they like. variety being the spice of life and all that,plus you get to know about other brands/models you wouldn't know about otherwise.
It would get boring if the only topic on here was CW :lol: