Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Re: Thank You FLE Commision members

Post by Loddonite »

village wrote:It would get boring if the only topic on here was CW :lol:
Too true.
I have no hesitation in sharing my dubious opinions of other watches and opinions of dubious watches.

I do think it goes against the grain to criticise CW watches too much, but sometimes I think they desectorve it - but it's only an opinion and other enthusiasts love them.

redd wrote:I'm the latest. But will not quit here, just interested to know what else is out there - especially to learn about and discuss other manfacturers in the £150-£400 price range
WUS Affordables, WUS Dive, WUS Russian, WUS generally... but mind your language, be polite, and don't be too negative about other peoples watches. "Robust" humour not welcome. Great for information and broadening your watch horizons though.
I tried PMWF but can't get on with the layout.
TZ-UK - humour, boobs, trolls, Rolex bashing, PAM bashing, boobs, watch snobbery, some stunning watch photos, Rolex fans, PAM fans, Grend Seikos, some stunning boob photos, Timefactors watches... did I mention the boobs? I like it there.
I kinda end up here though.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Walter
CW-watches: 4

Post by Walter »

First of all I think it's a wonderful design. If the price were better I would not doubt for a second buying it. Can anyone tell me why the price of this LE is so steep? Steinhart sells similar watches with the same Unitas 6498-1 calibre at roughly half the price. This is unlike the tradition of the CWL brand.
downer

Post by downer »

Walter wrote:First of all I think it's a wonderful design. If the price were better I would not doubt for a second buying it. Can anyone tell me why the price of this LE is so steep? Steinhart sells similar watches with the same Unitas 6498-1 calibre at roughly half the price. This is unlike the tradition of the CWL brand.
I think the problem here is that not all Unitas 6498's are the same...

Take a look at Archimede. They offer a hand wound pilot with two flavours of 6498. The prices are €475 and €745 (both + €40 if you want a deployant) respectively. Honestly, I don't know what levels of movement are available and what levels are fitted to the respective watches. What I do know is that it makes comparisons difficult (and somewhat dangerous).

By the way, Walter, welcome to the forum. :)
Richard
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

Let me echo what I said in the General Discussion forum. I think that given all the expectations that are put on the FLE Commission, you all did a wonderful job. I like the fact that we're not seeing a slightly done up version of an already existing model. Is it perfect? No, but it's impossible to be perfect, especially when your charge is to push the envelope, which in my view, is part of the point of having an FLE in the first place.

My order is in.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Walter wrote:First of all I think it's a wonderful design. If the price were better I would not doubt for a second buying it. Can anyone tell me why the price of this LE is so steep? Steinhart sells similar watches with the same Unitas 6498-1 calibre at roughly half the price. This is unlike the tradition of the CWL brand.

Welcome to "The Asylum" Walter.

Given the movement status with ETA, a lot of factors can affect the prices in the end.

When were they purchased?

How many?

What grade?

We are having 100 built with a custom made caseback to fit a stock C9 case with a custom dial and hands. That plus the strap is being custom made to a 20x 20. All these things add up.

Steinhart uses the same case and movement for a few different models and the 6498 in a lot of them.

I suspect they have bought a lot of them.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
TXAG96
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by TXAG96 »

I've been out of town for a few days and just saw the FLE. It's an absolute stunner. I have to figure out what this means in USD, but my initial impression is "wow"! I see leather and alligator...no bracelet. I suppose that avoids the standard bracelet bashing thread, but I need to think about what that means for longevity of the strap here in Hot-uston, Texas. Thanks to the team for a beautiful FLE. It's so much better than even the various and very nice models we voted on previously. I'm impressed.
Oris BC 3 Day/Date
CW C8SWT
CW C20LE-SWS
Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
CW S30-ROM-SWK Victoria Deco
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

TXAG96 wrote:I've been out of town for a few days and just saw the FLE. It's an absolute stunner. I have to figure out what this means in USD, but my initial impression is "wow"! I see leather and alligator...no bracelet. I suppose that avoids the standard bracelet bashing thread, but I need to think about what that means for longevity of the strap here in Hot-uston, Texas. Thanks to the team for a beautiful FLE. It's so much better than even the various and very nice models we voted on previously. I'm impressed.
At todays exchange rates about $804.00 plus $20.00 shipping. A real bargain!
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
theresafire
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by theresafire »

TXAG96 wrote:I've been out of town for a few days and just saw the FLE. It's an absolute stunner. I have to figure out what this means in USD, but my initial impression is "wow"! I see leather and alligator...no bracelet. I suppose that avoids the standard bracelet bashing thread, but I need to think about what that means for longevity of the strap here in Hot-uston, Texas. Thanks to the team for a beautiful FLE. It's so much better than even the various and very nice models we voted on previously. I'm impressed.

Ah another Texan! I must admit that the weather was the main reason i went with a bracelet on the C5 i ordered.

Also of note, my understanding is that the payment for the FLE won't be taken until when it ships (or around then) should probably check with them, since exchange rates fluctuate so much, it is conceivable that it would be either cheaper or more expensive come payment time. Just something to keep in mind.
PaulT
CW-watches: 3

Post by PaulT »

I reckon it's a cracker. Very clean, simple design, and the movement is a complete surprise. Can't afford it but Hell, you've got to haven't you. Just don't tell the wife! 8-[
C9 2011 FLE
C60 Trident GMT
Chr Ward Victoria - Deco - Leather (for the wife, obviously)
Tag Heuer Aquaracer Automatic
Longines Conquest VHP Ti
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

theresafire wrote:Ah another Texan! I must admit that the weather was the main reason i went with a bracelet on the C5 i ordered.
You Texans! Leather is no problem - just move somewhere cooler! :D
Montana anyone?
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

retrospective..

just been browsing the posts regarding the proposed LE 2010 ( the one based on the C9 Chrono). Overhwelming response was ..too expensive (£699 for a 7750 watch) and not enough forum input....hmmmmmm ,' plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose'
:lol:
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

highway62 wrote:retrospective..

just been browsing the posts regarding the proposed LE 2010 ( the one based on the C9 Chrono). Overhwelming response was ..too expensive (£699 for a 7750 watch) and not enough forum input....hmmmmmm ,' plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose'
Dog with bone?
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
highway62

Post by highway62 »

woof woof!!
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

highway62 wrote:retrospective..

Yep and since then there were a whole variety of options put to the forum with inconclusive results. So to move things forward a committe was formed to try and see if we could do better with a smaller number. So while the whole forum was not involved a subset was. I would have liked the final options to have gone to the forum for a final vote but the committee was formed to come up with an FLE and not a choice. So it was not a jump from that first one to this one. The forum was asked and could not come to a conclusion.

Some people are saying all the CWLs are now too expensive. Not just the FLE. They are confusing price with value. If you think it is too expensive don't buy it. Yet the number of people putting in orders in such a short time is truely amazing.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

A quick question guys, as it isn't clear from the images Hans has placed online, is the Black dial just flat matt (like the C2 FLE was matt white) or will it be decorated in some way or have a shine to it like the C6 coloured dials?
Watches - Too many but not enough!