LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Thank You FLE Commision members

Post by Kip »

First let me say a heartfelt and mighty Thank You to the members of the 2011Forum LE Commission (FLEC).
Without this group this model would never have come to fruition.

I also want to say Thank You to Christopher Ward and Fraser at CWL for putting up with my endless questions and badgering.

The 2011 FLEC consisted of Downer, Ianblyth, lamppo_the_Gasfitter, Loddonite, Monkey, Mortis, rcherryuk, village, Hans, Yoda and myself.

When the team decided to go the committee route, we were looking for veteran, active, opinionated, outspoken members of the forum who also seemed to have a variety of tastes. Trust me, we did get exactly what we were looking for. This approach work out great. The team had reservations about doing this but thought that going the committee route was worth the shot. It was!

However...it was not without some battles along the way. The process began by setting some parameters. We then set up a voting system and went to work. Downer, Mortis, Monkey and Ianblyth all volunteered to try photoshop, but ultimately I would say that Downer (who improved his skills tremendously along the way) and Mortis were our go to guys. Extra thanks are well deserved here.

We reviewed the wants and desires of the forum membership, as well as reviewed the past LE's. We also looked at the more recent failed LE proposals. We started with many ideas, had many discussions, many votes and eventually narrowed it down to two options. We then reviewed our parameters and were shocked to find we had created a Monster.......a good one, but one that failed to meet what many of us thought should be one of the most important criteria. After much discussion and more voting we decided to move ahead because the outright favorite, even with reservations, was the best choice.

We all, I think, lost our favorites during the process. Even after the final selection was made, it continued to evolve into what you see today.

Everyone continued to pitch in even when their favorite died, because they knew why they were there.... They were there to represent you, the forum membership. They all did their job well. This was most definitely a labor of love. We even did some self evaluation at the end and every member of the committee has said they would do this again if asked.

We are well aware that this model may come as quite the surprise for most...it did to us. This really started as an idea that village had and just continued to evolve. We decided in the end that this model would represent the goals we set forth as best as possible. It is unique, it represents the forum well, if successful it will move the CWL brand forward into a new area and it is a great value. Although differently done, these elements are true of the first 2 FLE's. As a result, the FLEC feels we have accomplished most of our goals.

The FLEC also realizes that it cannot satisfy everyone...it is just not possible. What we do hope is that you will buy one. If you are not able, do not like or are just stuck in the middle somewhere, I at least hope you will appreciate all the effort that your forum brothers put into this.

I am very proud and honored to have worked with these gentlemen and hope that we shall work together again. Thank you guys!

Love it, Like it, or Hate it........it is what it is.....your Forum LE for 2011.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Thank You FLE Commision members

Post by Tyke »

;
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Thanks for sharing this Kip and thanks to all on the committee. I think the watch is a cracker; I didn't see this one coming!
Kip wrote:
However...it was not without some battles along the way.

Really, you surprise me :lol:
Kip wrote:
It is unique, it represents the forum well, if successful it will move the CWL brand forward into a new area and it is a great value.
I have no doubt it will be successful and I am sure that this along with the C90 will open the brand to a new market.
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by redd »

Thanks Gents
Tony

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
RustyinRochester
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RustyinRochester »

Great job by FLEC. It is a very interesting pick. I am not sure about whether it is a watch I would want even though many say that a watch collection is incomplete without at least one mechanical. I have a vintage Hamilton to wind and I just don't think I want another. But I like it very much.
"In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first."
-George Carlin
Clarky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes

Post by Clarky »

A very well done to all you guys for comming up with this one. I was toying with the idea of the buying something along similar lines from another maker and then you came out with this, which has stopped me straying...... for a while.

I love it, as always it will no doubt be sooooo much better in the flesh :D
I can resist everything, Except temptation
Oscar Wilde
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

Kip, thank you for your words of wisdom (sometimes I feel I ought to make that phrase my signature, for Kip is the man I most aspire to in so many ways!).

Anyway, I will make my own long post - may I suggest that most people skip it?!

I was one of those who pestered to have some explanations and recognitions made known to the forum at large. Especially I would like to recognise the committee members who weren't me, for I was a minimal component compared with the inputs of downer's photoshop (the man is a god in so many ways, and this was only confirmed / exemplified by his skills with that particular software package), IanBlyth and Village's unbelievable creativity and Lamppo, Monkey, Dom and Rob's sophisticated thinkings in particular (the skill of the forum team of Hans, Kip and Yoda goes without saying). I always knew I wasn't a true creative (I learnt that from not being good enough to pursue Mathematics to a high level) but these guys really made me feel like an embarrassment on the committee! Still, at least I can follow orders well enough... But I know now that I am definitely not good enough in terms of ideas to be a proper member on the next committee!

The watch is indeed very different from what was envisaged at even late stages, but I think it is a real cracker. Some of us were worried, after "completing" the design a week or so ago, about so many minor details and we genuinely feared this would face an outright rejection by the forum at large. At every single stage we all made references to what we thought most people would think (even if it wasn't our personal preference), and we all responded to the thoughts of any forum member who posted with ideas on any of the various public threads about the Forum LE. Downer was right when he said there were many ideas mooted - I looked at the files and I came to just over 220 different versions of possible LEs that were considered.

I will probably be murdered for this by Kip, but I will tell you now that most of the committe had, over the last week or so, been so genuinely concerned and vested in this LE that we were bracing ourselves for all sorts of critcism, speculating wildly about how we would be hunted down and killed, even though we all felt it was a good watch. We almost lost sight of the fact it was a good watch for the sake of fearing the heavy criticism that was to come!

For me, the nicest thing about this is the fact that almost every single comment on the forum has been about how great the watch is. It is unique, it is interesting, it is high quality, it sets a standard, it is beautiful. I think we all know that the price is not within the reach of everyone, and that is something that the committee, I believe, slightly regrets, but it was probably inevitable with the creation of such a novel and unique piece. It is still not "expensive", though, so I suppose it still fits the "description" of a Christopher Ward watch. For me, the best thing is that even those who have declared themselves out (for understandable reasons) still think it is a great watch. So far there have been few criticisms of the watch itself (they will come I'm sure) but that, for me, indicates that this watch is a great design and the committee has done its job.

The 2011 Forum LE represents a huge dpearture from anything currently offered by not only CWL, but any watch manufacturer. It is a huge step up from previous LEs (i.e. it is a new design) and it is a new movement altogether for Christopher Ward.

For me, it was an honour to work with such talented people and it brings a genuine glow of pleasure when I see fellow forum members comment on what a wonderful watch it is. The other committee members will testify that I have really thought carefully about this (that's code for "moaned a lot") but my order is now confirmed and definite.
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

It was a pleasure to be a part of this guys, so well done all, and I think we came up with a nice watch :)

Big credit goes to Downer, and also to Mortis for their photoshop skills......I have absolutely no knowledge or ability in this department.............only ambitions, so it was good to see 'the process' :D
John
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

The watch looks gorgeous and you guys did a great job. I think you took the correct approach, which I nearly mentioned in one of the threads a few weeks ago but decided against. There are so many opinions on the forum that it just wasn't possible to come up with an LE design that was unanimously endorsed. Instead of searching for that, I think the goal should have been, and apparently was, to create a great watch. I think you acheived that.

When previous versions of the LE were designed, we never really tried to create a watch from a unanimous consensus. We tried to create a great watch that didn't already exist in the CW line. For years forum members have asked for a handwound mechanical and now is their chance.

I suspect based on its price, there may be many forum members that choose to pass on the watch and that is OK. This is a Limited Edition watch so obviously everyone can't have one. I feel positive that whatever sales are lost from existing forum members not buying this LE will be more than made up for by attracting new fans previously unfamiliar with the CW brand just because of this LE. That does a service for the forum and the CW brand.

Great job to all those involved. You should be proud of your baby!
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

Congratulations Team

Time well spent

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Tosh
Junior
Junior

Post by Tosh »

INteresting reading and it must have been a lot of "virtual" work and must have felt like a lot of going around in circles. Well done and also thanks to CW for letting you think outside their product range/movement range

The comments above about some of the thinking behind it are fascinating. Sure it would be nice to be the same price as the Kingfisher LE but this is a different beastie.

I decided in the early hours that mine will have a limited shelf life. My half brothers are 10 and 8 and for their 16th birthdays each will get a CW Forum LE (09 and 11). I got my Rolex from my Dad on my 16th and as (our) dad is now dead, I want to give them something on their 16th. They'll get CWs and my 5 year old will get the Rolex

So, I am in the market for a new watch. No hurry as I have 11 years to find one
DSHall
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 22
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Thank You FLE Commision members

Post by DSHall »

As I said elsewhere on here, many thanks to the Committee for a great job. It's not anything like what I expected, it's far, far better.

When I saw who was on the panel, I was confident, based on reading all of their posts on a wide variety of subjects, that this would be something really special. It is.

Like it? No, love it. 
Afford it? Not really, but can't afford not to. Order placed.
Appreciate it? You bet! Although missed the word "order" from first email - was on a bouncing bus! Second sent in case they are auto filtered. Fingers crossed!

Huge thanks to you all.
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Tooks »

I've already added my thanks in the other Forum LE thread, but will do so again. I know how frenetic it can get doing 'mock ups'!

A question though if I may.

The design by committee idea came about because the usual poll option didn't seem to be coming up with anything definitive for 2010, so with time running out it was canned and the committee formed to come up with something for 2011?

So, is this the way that all Forum LE's are going to be produced in the future then?

I ask because as a forum member (and CW supporter of course!) I don't really feel like I've been involved with it at all, not even just a little bit. We, as in the forum, weren't able to apply to be on the design team, nor even know who was on it until after the event. We had no inkling of any design ideas to peruse or vote on, no say on the potential price point and so I'm struggling to see why it can be called a Forum LE? Will it be the same committee every year? Will it be a core team with members only replaced when one leaves? How much did CW himself get involved, did he have power of veto as it was his brand going on the watch?

Ok, so a few more than one question!

It's important we get this sorted going forward, as right now I feel like we're in a position of 'The team have designed this great watch, it's a bit expensive, but now you can 'vote' with your feet and decide whether you're in or you're out'.

Other forums seem to be able to get this process right, even if somebody else decides what the watch is going to be for the year, the membership then at least have some votes/polls etc to shape the final product. Yes, that means that some people drop out early on as they wont like the basic starting watch, but then maybe we listen too much to the objectors rather than try to capture the thoughts of the less vocal majority?

So, there we are, my thoughts on the matter! I don't want anybody to see what I've just said as in any way denigrating what the team have achieved, it's a great looking watch (ok, apart from the strap!), and I know the team that did all the work are fine fellows.

But, I think this 'sense of detachment' from the whole thing is one of the reasons why I don't feel compelled to buy it. I'm sure it will be successful (heck, who knows, it may even be built and delivered on time - the track record in this area isn't great unfortunately) and they will all be reserved soon enough.

Anyway, just a reminder that we need to get the 2012 Forum LE underway in the next month or two! It would be nice to actually get delivery of the LE's when there is still a substantial part of the year left. ;) :D
Uncle Dave
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Uncle Dave »

Yes, fantastic watch, well done all. I especially like the manual movement.

Only one down side, the price. Way out of my budget.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

'