Sold out
Richard
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6
LE-one: yes

Re: FYI Forum LE

Post by Richard »

I would like the committee to continue the way the last LE was presented/delivered.

A deluxe box containing several straps/bracelets. A nice idea would be an ss bracelet, leather/rubber and a nato.
The nato popped in my mind thinking about the Tudor Heritage:

That would be a blast :)
CW count: 6 Seiko count: 11 Casio count: 1 Citizen count: 1 G-Shock count: 2.
Unofficial Seiko ambassador.
RustyinRochester
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by RustyinRochester »

I've searched all the parks in all the cities and found no statues of committees.
-G. K. Chesterton 8)
"In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first."
-George Carlin
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

mjh93sa wrote:Good move. Design by committee (at least in my experience) leads to cost and time overruns and a failure to come to a decision, let alone the right one. Far better to get a small group together and just sort it out.
Kip, perhaps if you referred to a working group rather than a committee everyone might feel better! :D
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

I like quorum :)
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

village wrote:I like quorum :)
Not a fan of tofu, myself, but each to their own. :ops:
Halt
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Halt »

Good luck!

I see that something had to be done because the process was getting stuck. But now for me to be interested, the outcome has to be a nicer watch than it would have had to be when I was able to vote on things myself. Part of the appeal was that I participated in the design of the watch. With this new method where the forum-Gods decide everything the outcome will be a watch that you have to like pure for what it is and not for how it came together. To me there is no difference between a special CW release and a forum edition that I wasn't able to participate in.

So you'd better come up with a super stellar watch :D
Bonny
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Bonny »

Good luck team, looking forward to an announcement already
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Galton321 wrote:
mjh93sa wrote:Good move. Design by committee (at least in my experience) leads to cost and time overruns and a failure to come to a decision, let alone the right one. Far better to get a small group together and just sort it out.
Kip, perhaps if you referred to a working group rather than a committee everyone might feel better! :D
...but it is a committee.....not a working group! :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Matvei
Senior
Senior

Post by Matvei »

Isn't this what killed the last forum LE?

People said they didn't feel connected to it, which is what drew some people to buy the other LEs.
I think those in the working group/committee would probably choose something nice but, like last time, it seems that isn't enough for a forum LE.

I didn't read through all of the threads about this new project to know what derailed it, but could you say what were the problems with that process? People voted on certain ideas, right? Was it too time consuming?

If I recall the first LE was a C6 that had an automatic movement, which was something people had requested on the forum right when the original quartz C6 was unveiled. That LE was sort of a nod to this expressed desire in the forum population.

The second LE was the automatic Lido, which is sort of the same idea (responding to a forum desire), which also incorporated design cues that would make it even more special. These cues were voted on, if I recall correctly.

I think going back to this would be great. The forum LE would not only be a special edition watch, but a watch that answers a desire often expressed on the forum for the last few years. This is what makes it a "forum" edition watch, in my opinion. Voting on certain styling cues after a basic watch has been settled upon (by a vote) would be great also to increase the "connection" element.

If I follow this train of thought, what could be long-standing or generally often expressed desires by members of this forum?

I will start but feel free to add to this list, with as much detail explaining the rationale as you can. If this idea isn't good for the forum-management design committee, perhaps they can at least try to use it as a basis for their reflection.

Also, I think the first thing that should be agreed upon for this forum LE is the price range, no?

My opinion for a price range is: around 250-300 pounds

My ideas for the forum desires-driven LE ideas are:

1) Manual C1 Russel: This has been the most requested idea since the birth of this watch. Most of the problem, If I recall, laid on the movement needed to fit the case or needing a tweaked case to fit the available manual movements. If this could be solved, it would be a great choice because the forum has wanted this for such a long time, because it is an original design of CW that underlines its british-ness. Another thing that makes it special is it would be the 1st manual movement watch in the stable. As for styling cues? Perhaps a domed crystal?

2) A C4 or C40 with a GREAT bracelet: I don't think I need to reiterate this has been requested a lot. It could be a small scale way to test out ideas for the forthcoming new bracelets that have been talked about.

3) A black C5 Malvern automatic with a white-on-black date-wheel: Ok, not much of departure, but it has been requested many times in the forum has it not?

Anyway, I hope this isn't seen as coming down on your committee-LE, but as one person's opinion on this whole process and what he thinks makes a forum LE, a forum LE. Hopefully these ideas will fuel your reflexion.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

Matvei wrote:1) Manual C1 Russel: This has been the most requested idea since the birth of this watch. Most of the problem, If I recall, laid on the movement needed to fit the case or needing a tweaked case to fit the available manual movements. If this could be solved, it would be a great choice because the forum has wanted this for such a long time, because it is an original design of CW that underlines its british-ness. Another thing that makes it special is it would be the 1st manual movement watch in the stable. As for styling cues? Perhaps a domed crystal?
I'd like one of these too, but CW no longer produces the C1, so the cases are not there to use, I imagine they'd be too thin anyway, a manual movement would likely be 50%+ thicker than a quartz... and creating a new case £$€!
Unfortunately the C9 manual with a Russell-alike dial that was put up for consideration a few weeks ago turned out to be 55% "not my cup of tea" and only got 36 positive votes. (Although the C60 suggestion garnered 54% positive votes, that was still only 37 people).

I agree that creating the FLE by voting on the various aspects of design feels 'best' - I have a touching faith in democracy and like the idea of everyone feeling included in the process , but that's not the only way to do it... I believe Poor Man's Watch Forum's 10th anniversary watch is almost fully subscribed even though only the forum Administrator really has any idea what it's going to look like; all the members have to go on is a picture of the caseback and the knowledge that it'll be a GMT and less than $1000. So much for democracy.
Halt wrote:...you'd better come up with a super stellar watch
... sounds like a plan to me - so, stellar watch then...
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
lisnalee
Guru
Guru

Post by lisnalee »

Even though I've only just joined the forum and purchased my first CW a few weeks ago i would definitely be interested in buying a LE forum watch.

But as others have mentioned i think some basics such as price should be agreed on before the committee goes into their man cave for the brain storming session. IMHO there's no point in spending several months sorting it out in secret to finally come out and say its a £500 watch, pick your colour of dial and strap.

Just my 2 cents :)
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC
Someone Else
Senior
Senior

Post by Someone Else »

Well, since nobody asked my opinion... 8)

I know what I personally want in a watch, and what I would never consider getting. So here are those two lists.
What I want
  • Thin. If it's a quartz (which I'm okay with), it should be 3mm thinner than the equivalent automatic because it can be. And I don't need a huge rotating bezel.
  • Legible. Gold hands on gold makes no sense to me.
  • Glows. Though not an absolute necessity, to me that's a big deal.
What I won't buy
  • Anything with Orange or Pink colors
  • An oversized "compensation" watch
  • Something over US$1200
That leaves a lot open. My ideal would probably be a (black faced) C9-CHR-SKS with tritium hands - which would be thick but packs a lot into essentially a show watch. But the real idea, I suspect, would be to build a cool watch that might actually be worthy of mass production in the future, no?
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

Someone Else wrote:Well, since nobody asked my opinion... 8)
Ahem 8)

Someone Else wrote:What I want
  • Thin...... My ideal would probably be a (black faced) C9-CHR-SKS with tritium hands - which would be thick but packs a lot into essentially a show watch.
:?

Although,it leads on to the question what do you class as thin/thick?
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
JohnIvan
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by JohnIvan »

Galton321 wrote:Seems like a good decision as we were going nowhere fast. Good luck with your endeavors. You won't be able to please everyone, just make it special. :D
Best of luck!! I know there are some very opinionated people on this forum (which is why it is so fun to follow!). I say if you want a real limited edition, make a beautiful dive watch and then send them over to 28800bph and have them liquid filled. Now THAT would not only be a hell of a watch, but also a forum designed and filled watch!! :lol:
lisnalee
Guru
Guru

Post by lisnalee »

JohnIvan wrote:
Galton321 wrote: I say if you want a real limited edition, make a beautiful dive watch and then send them over to 28800bph and have them liquid filled. Now THAT would not only be a hell of a watch, but also a forum designed and filled watch!!

Now that would make for one amazing watch, where do i sign up 8)
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC