The Forum LE 2010!

The third forum Limited Edition
Sold out
highway61

Re: The Forum LE 2010!

Post by highway61 »

hmmm....as per the Bugatti Veyron for VAG group..
Will Bogor
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by Will Bogor »

I was thinking cars too. What happened to the VW Phaeton? (I won't mention the Austin Ambassador). If I wanted to spend two grand on a watch I'd get an Omega PO long before a CWL tourbillion (but that's just me).
Attachments
ambassador_02.jpg
Will
Bogor, West Java
downer

Post by downer »

Interesting discussion. Great post from Rygel16th. :)

I wonder if CWL is yet ready for it's Veyron moment? Personally, I think he should continue on the current path - gently pushing the brand up-market, yet retaining the founding ethos of affordable quality.
Richard
seaclose
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 11
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by seaclose »

I think we are confusing expense with price. Any watch with a 7750 movement is going to command a price over 500GBP but in keeping with CWL's policy, it's certainly not expensive.

We all have a different concept of 'affordable'. Some may consider a watch costing 20,000GBP as unaffordable but a watch of similar quality from Chris at a mere 10,000GBP as a bargain.

I don't see a wider price band as unacceptable or outwith the CWL policy.
highway61

Post by highway61 »

sorry, but no watch costing £10,000 can possibly be considered a bargain! ( except possibly by a premiership footballer with their unique combination of extreme wealth and general stupidity...)
Lipsy
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Lipsy »

It was just an example, as well you know. :D

+1 for seaclose's point, BTW.
rygel16th
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by rygel16th »

seaclose wrote:I think we are confusing expense with price.
I agree with that point. CW can charge whatever they want for a watch as long as someone will pay for it, and given the history of the Company it's unlikely to be the Mafia level mark up one would expect from other brands. My point is that I'd be unlikely to buy a more expensive CW watch.

I've bought five watches from CW in the past, three for myself and two for my wife. I bought them because they were good quality watches and I believed I was getting value for money, relative to other potential watch purchases. I bought my Planet Ocean because I'd always wanted a prestige watch and it's a beautiful example; the Calibre 2500 movement is rhodium and gold plated for instance. I'm going to have to take Omega's word for that because I'm never going to take the back off. For all I know it's made from case-hardened cheese.

That being the case, how much does the movement add to the perceived value of the watch? I didn't buy it for the movement. I bought it because it was an Omega and it's become a design classic. I appreciate the fact that the movement is the work of horological genius George Daniels, but when it's on my wrist it might as well be Paul Daniels who designed it for all the attention the movement gets. I love Omega's design sensibilities, and recently bought a 1973 Geneve Dynamic. Again it's the look of the watch rather than the movement that attracted me. I love watches but I can't tell the difference between a Venus 175 and a Seagull ST19, although I understand the quality is much the same.

I only follow two watch brands with any regularity; Christopher Ward and Eddie Platts' Precista and Smiths products. Both offer me similar things, good quality at a good price and a personal touch that is lacking elsewhere. If the prices of these brands went up I would have one of two repsonses;

1) Look elsewhere for the value I seek, in which case I'd give my money to Seiko as I know from experience they produce exceptional watches for the price.

2) Resolve to move upmarket in my collecting and spend more. In which case I'd be handing my cash over to Omega, Oris, Rado, Longines etc etc etc.

Either way I wouldn't be spending my hard earned on either of my previous favourites as I'd now be buying Seiko for value, or Omega et al for the perceived prestige.
rygel16th
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by rygel16th »

highway61 wrote:sorry, but no watch costing £10,000 can possibly be considered a bargain! ( except possibly by a premiership footballer with their unique combination of extreme wealth and general stupidity...)
That's where you're wrong. The Blancpain 50 Fathom Tourbillion as worn by Brad in this pic. Comes with a free Angelina Jolie apparently. Bargain!!! :D

highway61

Post by highway61 »

if you like women with lollipop heads and unfeasible lips!! :lol:
rygel16th
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by rygel16th »

highway61 wrote:if you like women with lollipop heads and unfeasible lips!! :lol:
How dare you Sir! You are talking about the woman I love!

She'll realise her mistake soon enough and leave that loser Brad and come looking for me. Restraining order or not!
highway61

Post by highway61 »

:lol: ..I shall refrain from notifying the authorities!
Lipsy
Guru
Guru

Post by Lipsy »

Oh, while we're on about Seikos – does anyone know how much this one is. I quite like it…

I'm sure it's great value… :lol:
highway61

Post by highway61 »

a bargain compared to a Submariner!! :lol:
Lipsy
Guru
Guru

Post by Lipsy »

We have a winner! Point got!

:D
andyfry
Senior
Senior
LE-two: yes

Post by andyfry »

Kip wrote:The one thing I would like to see though, is a showpiece that would show what he can do. A top shelf, probably more expensive than most of us would like to see, unit that becomes his signature and proves that, despite the mission statement, he can do what most may feel he is not capable of. A signature showpiece would only help to upgrade the perception of value across the line.
I'm with Kip on this - a show piece/signature piece would be wonderful to see. We may not all afford or indeed want to buy one but would raise the perception and wider recognition of the brand. And let's face it CWL have to make money to survive to feed our wants and desires. :D :-)
Proud owner of a C8 - IPK "Black Hawk" (#90), a C5 - AKK (#747) - with black date wheel, a C40 - SKS (#281) and now a 2009 LE C20 (#62)