C90 Beckett's - Uniquely Brilliant!

Documentation and CW-related information
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: C90 Beckett's - Uniquely Brilliant!

Post by redd »

Richard wrote:Great review and great pictures.

What really buggers me tho is the date window. Is not big enough to fit the two digit date as it seems.
Ditto on everything there. My favourite CWL by a distance and unfortunately out of my price league, for now. Gotta wonder how much looking at the cut off 20th to 31st dates would annoy me over time. Be nice to find out one day :D

Thx for the great review/pics Royston.
Tony

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

Good review, but again, couldn't a smaller fonted datewheel have been used?

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by CornishDave »

Smashing read even if I am not a huge fan of the watch. You obviously are - so enjoy! :)
Royston 64
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Royston 64 »

rcherryuk wrote:Good review, but again, couldn't a smaller fonted datewheel have been used?

Rob
One of the main features of the new Valgranges 161 movement is an enlarged date wheel. As ETA won't supply this movement with any technical modifications (they will decorate it for their clients - at the minute anyway!!), they simply wouldn't alter the date wheel font.

I know what you are all referring to, and it was a consideration for myself when I purchased the watch. The reality is though I can clearly tell what date it is on any given day of the month quite easily. I think the convex sapphire crystal has a part to play here, as at certain angles it has a magnifying effect. I can only think that if the date aperture was enlarged it might just cause an imbalance to the overall look of the watch and ruin the symmetry of the dial. I'm only guessing this though, as I have never seen a design drawing with an enlarged date window.

I used to have a Ulysse Nardin Marine chronometer and the date window on that watch drove me nuts. I just couldn't live with it, this C90 I can live with - happily, and I don't think of the date window as a compromise (Not yet anyway......).
CW’s - C63 sealander, C65 Chrono
Others - Rolex Submariner, Rolex Airking, Rolex Datejust, Jaeger LeCoultre Polaris, Bremont Airco Mach1, Duckworth Prestex Viewmatic and 1 or 2 others
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by androo »

Very good review and a lovely watch. Been wanting one since it came out but never been able to save up due to sales and the FLE. Not many CWs i like that I haven't got so may end up with one one day
RVW
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by RVW »

Great review :D
I wear mine more now than my Omega PO.Amazing watch. Only criticism is the date window, but then I never look at the date so it could have been left out for me. :lol:
Macca

Post by Macca »

I am really pleased I searched for this on here, what a fab review and with decent shots of the sides too! I really like this watch so seeing the excellent pictures has helped me come to a conclusion, WANT IT!
Dorito
Junior
Junior

Post by Dorito »

Macca wrote:I am really pleased I searched for this on here, what a fab review and with decent shots of the sides too! I really like this watch so seeing the excellent pictures has helped me come to a conclusion, WANT IT!
I can still see some available in the NN section on both the US and UK websites! Go for it. Personally not a huge fan of this watch, but I think it's an acquired taste like Sushi, the more I look at it, the more interesting it is.
Evolve and let the chips fall where they may...
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by mabotham »

Great review. Shame the c9 case is too big for my girlie wrists!
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

I miss having Roy around.

It was because of his wealth of knowledge that I felt confident in purchasing my AirKing.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

scooter wrote:I miss having Roy around.

It was because of his wealth of knowledge that I felt confident in purchasing my AirKing.

scooter
:?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Macca

Post by Macca »

Never had the pleasure of speaking to him but the review is excellent.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

Kip wrote:

scooter
To answer your confused emoticon Kip.

When I was considering buying the AirKing I sent many PMs to Roy for advice. He spent a lot of time replying to me and giving me the benefit of his wealth of Rolex knowledge. He had bought, and sold many and was a real expert on the Brand. I remember pestering him on the day I bought it and he was replying immediately answering my questions.

He was also an absolute gentleman, which goes a long way in my book.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Macca

Post by Macca »

Dorito wrote:
Macca wrote:I am really pleased I searched for this on here, what a fab review and with decent shots of the sides too! I really like this watch so seeing the excellent pictures has helped me come to a conclusion, WANT IT!
I can still see some available in the NN section on both the US and UK websites! Go for it. Personally not a huge fan of this watch, but I think it's an acquired taste like Sushi, the more I look at it, the more interesting it is.
I think I got the last one!
Royston 64
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Royston 64 »

scooter wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:50 pm
Kip wrote:

scooter
To answer your confused emoticon Kip.

When I was considering buying the AirKing I sent many PMs to Roy for advice. He spent a lot of time replying to me and giving me the benefit of his wealth of Rolex knowledge. He had bought, and sold many and was a real expert on the Brand. I remember pestering him on the day I bought it and he was replying immediately answering my questions.

He was also an absolute gentleman, which goes a long way in my book.

scooter
Really nice comment - I have returned to the 'fold', I hope everyone is doing well and we still have the likes of Scooter, Downer and the architect around - Glad to be back.
CW’s - C63 sealander, C65 Chrono
Others - Rolex Submariner, Rolex Airking, Rolex Datejust, Jaeger LeCoultre Polaris, Bremont Airco Mach1, Duckworth Prestex Viewmatic and 1 or 2 others