Quick comparison between two colourways of the C65 Super Compressor :

Documentation and CW-related information
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Quick comparison between two colourways of the C65 Super Compressor :

Post by MiniMpi »

Some more photos of my C65 Super Compressor Black Sand alongside my Deep Blue SC for a comparison.

Both very different watches even though it's just a colourway but they have a different vibe.

It's not just down to the Deep Blue being on a bracelet either.
The Deep Blue is much more a classy watch that you wear to go out like to dinner etc whereas the Black Sand is more of a watch you have a chill out day with.

Personally I don't think the bracelet works with the Black Sand whereas it's definitely the correct strap for the Deep Blue.
Similarly the camel vintage oak strap is definitely the strap for the Black Sand.

I Love both of them equally and I am really looking forward to wearing them in the future.

tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Quick comparison between two colourways of the C65 Super Compressor :

Post by tikkathree »

Hmm. I very much like my dark sand and one aspect of this is that it's not just another blue/black diver. Mine is on a tan strap too but because I think you might possibly be wrong I'm going to pop it on bracelet for a week.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

MiniMpi wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:11 pm Personally I don't think the bracelet works with the Black Sand.......
I have to agree with you here Ferg. I bought the black sand in the new year clearance sale and bought both the strap and the bracelet.

I’ve worn it on the bracelet a few times but it’s since been relegated to the box. The camel strap on the other hand looks so much better.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Great pics, Ferg, and they are both very nice watches. I prefer the blue, but I’m not in the market for either one.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Wonderful pics, Ferg! Thanks for posting.

I can’t help but wonder if the different vibe fit each watch might also have to do with the bezel. I wonder how the black sand would be perceived with a matching black bezel?

The appeal of the Deep Blue for me, beyond just the shade of blue, is the matching bezel.

It’s fascinating how what might be characterized as small differences in details can have such a profound affect on how something is perceived, beyond just personal tastes.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

And for the record, I don’t think there’s a CW watch that doesn’t look good on the camel strap!
Drew
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Glad everyone enjoyed my thoughts on the comparison between these two colourways.
I'll certainly resize the bracelet and try it on it soon and see what I think but have to say I'm really loving the watch in the camel vintage oak strap.
So comfortable on it.
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

Nice one Ferg. The deep blue SC is also on my radar as a complementary watch to my black sand, so really good to see them together :clap:

I agree about the bracelet... I took mine off the bracelet quite quickly and wear it on either black tropic, brown canvas, a brown/orange nato I had lying around or a mesh bracelet picked up in the sale. Bizarrely, I haven’t yet tried it on my camel leather, so will definitely give it a go, thanks :thumbup:

I agree, it’s more of a fun watch than dressy and it’s going on holiday with me (assuming we can go) :D

C65_Super_Compressor_Mesh (20 Feb 2021).jpg
C65_Super_Compressor_Brown_Canvas_on_Wrist.jpg
C65_Super_Compressor_BrownOrange_Nato_on_Wrist.jpg
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Thanks Ferg. The blue takes it for me and the bracelet is definitely the right choice.

I know they are the same size, but the blue looks smaller in your photos. I am presuming that it is the same color bezel that makes that effect.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Kip wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:41 pm Thanks Ferg. The blue takes it for me and the bracelet is definitely the right choice.

I know they are the same size, but the blue looks smaller in your photos. I am presuming that it is the same color bezel that makes that effect.
Interesting how different folk view the same thing differently. :)

To me the the all blue looks much bigger. Basically because the the blue dial and internal bezel all meld into one. Making the watch all dial, as the external bezel is very narrow.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Top notch Ferg. :clap: :clap:

Great photos as always and interesting observations and comparison. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think you're on the right tack viz a viz the Black Sand and Bracelet; that's perhaps where I went wrong. :oops: :oops:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Great photos Ferg, but I love my black sand on the bracelet and have not once considered putting it on a strap (even with the camel being the obvious choice). For the record though, I thing the deep blue is probably the best looking C65 Compressor model - and it definitely looks great on the bracelet ... and I’m somewhat envious of yours.

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ll throw this in for good measure: there’s a forum member (@tortoise?) who wears his SC on a beads of rice style bracelet, and it looks spectacular!
Drew
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Great SC comparison photos Ferg! Good idea for a thread.. :thumbup:
nbg wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:12 pm
Kip wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:41 pm Thanks Ferg. The blue takes it for me and the bracelet is definitely the right choice.

Interesting how different folk view the same thing differently. :)

To me the the all blue looks much bigger. Basically because the the blue dial and internal bezel all meld into one. Making the watch all dial, as the external bezel is very narrow.

Neil
FWIW I'm with Neil - I see the dial and bezel colour as one and it appears larger to my eyes too.

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:24 am I’ll throw this in for good measure: there’s a forum member (@tortoise?) who wears his SC on a beads of rice style bracelet, and it looks spectacular!
Thanks Andrew ... I have it on a BoR from Uncle Seiko. The quality and refinement is not as good as a CW bracelet but, for me, the appeal is chiefly in the vintage aesthetic.

C65 SC BOR_210214.jpg
Ian
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Great pics, and I must admit these pics have made me look a lot more seriously at both of these. Not hard to see why you would want to have both, as they are completely different, and would certainly fill different roles. Kind of like the C8PR in steel or DLC.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight