With the Christopher Ward C8 Power Reserve Chronometer, less can be subjectively more..

Documentation and CW-related information
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

With the Christopher Ward C8 Power Reserve Chronometer, less can be subjectively more..

Post by Thunder1 »

Well, I recently added a previously loved CW C8 Power Reserve Chronometer to my Herd. This version features the DLC case. Here's a couple pics of it..
IMG_0413.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG
My interest in this CW effort is two fold..1)I'm a huge fan of Power Reserve indicators on dial faces, and 2)I've grown quite fond of my Oris Big Crown Pro Pilot. So when the opportunity presented itself for me to acquire the CW at a reasonable price point, I jumped on it. I'm glad I did!!

I thought I'd post some pics of the 2 side by side & mention their basic similarities.
IMG_0416 (1).JPG
IMG_0418.JPG
IMG_0422 (1).JPG
First off, both cases measure 44mm wide and both have a lug width of 22mm. Both have a 50m WR rating. While the Oris has a screw down crown, it is 13.85mm thick, and the CW is 11mm thick.

An while the Oris in-house calibre 111 features a 10 day power reserve rating, the in-house CW SH21 has a 5 day power reserve rating. However, it is COSC rated.

So, both watches are very similar in size and function. For me, though, the subjective differences are quite noticeable. And these ae 2-fold. One, since the watch is 2mm thinner, it wears better. For me, it quite apparent when switching between the two. But most importantly, the matt black CW C8 dial is much more appealing to look at. The various touches of red are very striking, as are the skeletonized hands. And it is easy to see that the inspiration for the dial layout stems from old aviator clocks.

I know that CW has discontinued the production of the C8. For me, that's hard to understand given that Oris is still selling their Big Crown Pro Pilot with some success. And that the C8, when new, sold for about a 1/3 of the Oris retail price!! I know that I may not be posting anything that someone else hasn't already posted, but if there's any folks out there torn between these 2 watches as possible additions, I strongly recommend picking up the C8 first!!..Good luck hunting!!
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

Great write up and a cool watch! One of the ones that feel really distinct on CWs part. And that shot of the movement is great.

It does seem odd to me that the C8 is discontinued. Maybe there isn’t enough space in the market for oversized pilots?
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: With the Christopher Ward C8 Power Reserve Chronometer, less can be subjectively more..

Post by watchaholic »

I bought my C8 when they first came out. In fact I waited two months for the release. It is still one of my absolute favorites and sits right there between a Datejust and my newly acquired Aqua Terra and holds it own quite nicely. Congratulations, it should serve you well and keep excellent time to boot.
20200601_233325.jpg
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: With the Christopher Ward C8 Power Reserve Chronometer, less can be subjectively more..

Post by Robotaz »

Sweet pair of watches!
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Nice one, Chuck. I like the look of the C8; I enjoy a PRI on a dial, too. It appears to be a sandwich dial, having cutaway indices and a really effective datewheel. I also think the open-work movement is more visually appealing than the Oris. A great pick up, sir.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Chuck, happy you could join me - nice write-up and absolutely agree that these wear really well, CW's finest. As you know, I've had mine for about three years and whilst admitting bias I do think it stands comparison against anything in the Pilot field - it's the only watch I've found (after long searching) with PR, sub seconds and altimeter date which were my idealised criteria when I bought one and so discovered CW. High quality manufacture, fabulous sandwich dial and lume is all night decent too. CW sold them well below market value IMHO.

Note to CW marketing: bring it back at double the SP and it would still be a bargain!

best

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

Peteo wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:24 am Great write up and a cool watch! One of the ones that feel really distinct on CWs part. And that shot of the movement is great.

It does seem odd to me that the C8 is discontinued. Maybe there isn’t enough space in the market for oversized pilots?
Morning!!..it does seem odd to me that CW halted production of these..seems like a very fitting effort for a company that has had a historical experience w/ aviation themed wrist offerings.. :problem:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

watchaholic wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:44 am I bought my C8 when they first came out. In fact I waited two months for the release. It is still one of my absolute favorites and sits right there between a Datejust and my newly acquired Aqua Terra and holds it own quite nicely. Congratulations, it should serve you well and keep excellent time to boot.20200601_233325.jpg
Thanx Dwight!!..glad to see that there's some more of these out there in the wild on our side of the pond.. :thumbup:
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

Robotaz wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:19 am Sweet pair of watches!
Thank you, sir!!..
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

H0rati0 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:31 am Chuck, happy you could join me - nice write-up and absolutely agree that these wear really well, CW's finest. As you know, I've had mine for about three years and whilst admitting bias I do think it stands comparison against anything in the Pilot field - it's the only watch I've found (after long searching) with PR, sub seconds and altimeter date which were my idealised criteria when I bought one and so discovered CW. High quality manufacture, fabulous sandwich dial and lume is all night decent too. CW sold them well below market value IMHO.

Note to CW marketing: bring it back at double the SP and it would still be a bargain!

best

nik
Nik, you're right..I should have mentioned the sandwich dial construction, as that's a big reason for the dial's allure for me..that, the red accents, and the altimeter styled date window are special..and CW couldn't sell these by the boat load?..& Oris can sell their Big Crown Pro Pilots?..
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’ve never been a fan of Oris, but I do like the CW. However, I know it would be too big.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Thunder1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:32 pm

Nik, you're right..I should have mentioned the sandwich dial construction, as that's a big reason for the dial's allure for me..that, the red accents, and the altimeter styled date window are special..and CW couldn't sell these by the boat load?..& Oris can sell there Big Crowns Pro Pilots?..
Yep the red accents - restrained but striking.

People come to CW to buy divers it seems to me..... :yawn:
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:01 pm I’ve never been a fan of Oris, but I do like the CW. However, I know it would be too big.
You know Steve, you should try one. If you could wear the 43 mk2 GMT I think you'd have no problem, as these are relatively low profile at 12mm. Granted, Pilots are supposed to look bigger of course.

nik
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ My first ever CW was a C8 Pilot Mark 1. Beautiful watch and whilst I appreciate what you mean about the flatter profile, it still felt like a dinnerplate on my wrist. And yes, I have also worn the 43 mm C60 GMT. I wore it on holiday as my only travel watch for a couple of years, in truth it was always a bit big and heavy and when it made a mess of the back of my hand on the last trip I decided to move it on.

I bought the Meistersinger as a travel watch but I’m still not 100% sure. It’s wonderful if you don’t need to know the time precisely, but we shall see. I suppose that actually getting to use it on a holiday would be something! I would still quite like to find a smaller GMT that I like.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:23 pm ^^^ My first ever CW was a C8 Pilot Mark 1. Beautiful watch and whilst I appreciate what you mean about the flatter profile, it still felt like a dinnerplate on my wrist. And yes, I have also worn the 43 mm C60 GMT. I wore it on holiday as my only travel watch for a couple of years, in truth it was always a bit big and heavy and when it made a mess of the back of my hand on the last trip I decided to move it on.

I bought the Meistersinger as a travel watch but I’m still not 100% sure. It’s wonderful if you don’t need to know the time precisely, but we shall see. I suppose that actually getting to use it on a holiday would be something! I would still quite like to find a smaller GMT that I like.
Each to his own of course, a big chunk of the fun.

FWIW this is my GMT:
_ND14376.jpg
40mm officers case (I'm a sucker for that style) and the pushers on the left side advance/retard the hour hand and date at 0000 - for serious time zone hopping, can't be beat IMHO. I appreciate the big date too.....