C60 Trident Chronograph 300 review

Documentation and CW-related information
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

C60 Trident Chronograph 300 review

Post by johncolescarr »

I have dug out this review I wrote back in 2020. I initially didnt publish, because I sold the watch, but recently I've bought back and I'm very glad I did as it serves as a fantastic everyday "beater" watch costing the same as your typical low end Seiko but with top end specs!

All I will add to the below is that my current one comes on a thick rubber strap (actually its the strap from the mk 2.0 C60 so not the "right" one but really works well with the 300 chronograph by toning down the bling and turning up the "tool" look of the watch. Its such a fantastic combination that I am calling off my search for the bracelet...for now.

[Review from April 2020]
Having found zero reviews, either professional or amateur for this particular model, I want to redress this.

I have recently opted for this chronograph to complete my diver, driver flyer trio and I have to say I am very impressed

(mostly) non subjective [without repeat of the specs sheet]:

Dial:
Matt finish, with raised minute track with arabic numberals every 5 seconds, very precise printed markers,
Subdials have raised outer ring and azzure (concentric rings) inside the outer portion. All printing is perfectly done
Applied round indices filled with lume, bevelled and polished, gives real shine in the light
shortened baton markers at 9 and 3 with same finish
12 and 6 markers omitted
chromed date window at 3

Hands:
hour and minute hands taken from trident range, seconds hand has been painted red with satin finish
chronograph sub dial at 12 has same red satin finish on tapered hands with counterbalance. Running seconds hand polished steel.

Bezel: aluminium matt finish with silver printed indices. Bezel action is very precise with good feedback and aligns perfectly.

Crown and pushers: flawlessly finished, with polished and bead blasted finishing. crown signed and pushers feature concentric rings. Standard Trident fayre.

Case: All brushed except for thin bevelling around the edge. Brushing appears to be slightly rougher than my 600 pro (but maybe my example or imagination since I would have through for costs all cases are finished the same)

Bracelet and caseback: standard, but excellent trident fayre here. oyster style with polished centre links, brushed clasp with on the fly micro adjust. caseback deeply stamped. End links are very precisely milled with zero free play, but feature the normal trident "not quite matching the case profile"

Subjective review:
When I first opened the box to this one, I was taken aback by its presence, I got the same feelings as when looking at omega, tudor and tag in a jewellers display. This thing shines and appears every inch the luxury watch.

I normally wear 40mm and down and at 43mm diameter and 51.5mm lug to lug this watch does wear big on my 7 inch wrist, at first I though it was too big but after a couple of days on wrist I got used to the size. If it were my only watch, I think I would find it too imposing and blingly for wear with smart clothes, but I chose this for my summer quartz and it fits that bill superbly.

The finish of the dial and bezel are somewhat ordinary when compared to my 600 pro, but this choice, along with the brushed case gives the watch a decidedly sporty vibe, more so than the shiny 600 pro, which is more dressy.

What is improved over the 600 pro in my opinion is the design, its is more coherent with brushed lugs matching the bracelet outer links. the dial, although busy, feels "right" despite the range in finishing and design of the hands and markers. The removal of baton indices at 6 and 12 from the standard 300 makes this watch work.

The combination of red seconds chronograph and inverted triangle marker at 12 does mean any slight misalignment in either is noticeable, mine is maybe 100th off, but its so slight that you can convince your eyes either way!

The weight is very well balanced between case and bracelet and despite being quartz, there is a reassuring heft to the thing. It wears incredibly comfortably, distributing its weight very evenly, more so than its smaller brethren I have in the 38mm 600 GMT.

Mine is the black version and although I do like the look of the orange (and if one came available I would have chosen either), I feel that it sails just a little too close to the omega planet ocean.

A small bugbear of mine is the positioning of the chronograph arabic indices relative to the bezel markers. When the bezel is in the 12 o clock position the 20, 30 and 40 markers on the bezel are upside down, but the chronographs are not. But since the chrono markers are so small, I can easily ignore this!

To summarise: This watch has a street value of between £300-350 GBP and in this price range there is nothing really that can match its quality; sapphire crystal with AR undercoat, fantastic finish akin to CWs pro range, solid bracelet that has been machined so well. Yes, it is a quartz movement but I personally chose this specifically for a chronograph to as it reduces cost both to purchase and to service.

Other watches in this range are Tissot seastar 1000, seikos and citizen and having owned many of these, the finish on this CW is definitely a notch above.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: C60 Trident Chronograph 300 review

Post by Viognier »

Nice to have a C60 300 Chronograph review! Perhaps consider giving it a rating with your comments in the CWArchives?
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Viognier wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:57 pm Nice to have a C60 300 Chronograph review! Perhaps consider giving it a rating with your comments in the CWArchives?
Didn’t know I could do that, I’ll head over and take a look.

Ps I will add some photos even though I’m a terrible photographer! Think all reviews need them
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Thanks for doing this review. Well done.

We could use some Reference Gallery photos here.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thanks for this. An interesting read and good review
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Thorough and enjoyable :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00