Review of the C65 Chrongraph

Documentation and CW-related information
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Review of the C65 Chrongraph

Post by albionphoto »

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the C65 Chronograph recently. I found a review from Fratello which might spark some interest.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-o ... ronograph/

I'm still not sure that it's a watch for me though.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Review of the C65 Chrongraph

Post by tikkathree »

albionphoto wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:56 pm There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the C65 Chronograph recently. I found a review from Fratello which might spark some interest.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-o ... ronograph/

I'm still not sure that it's a watch for me though.

Good read but oh those screw-down pushers.....

Now why have I sought out a review of this watch today? :silent:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:47 am
Mmm, there is a NN one on the CW site atm. Tempted?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

A few thoughts

I am not keen on the colours of the minutes subdial. Just plain silver would be better, I think. You sort of expect to see an hours counter on a chrono. So either an hours subdial, or a minutes and hours hand on the 3 o'clock subdial, rather like the latest Omega Speedmaster Racing. I too dislike screw down anything on a chronograph. I wouldn't take it in water anyway, and it's a real pain to have to screw pushers in and out, (and the crown, come to that). Foe one thing, you can often forget to screw them back in, and that might compromises the WR if you are out in the rain, say, or expose them to damage. I would prefer a different hand style but that's not a deal-breaker in itself. Maybe there are too many minute marks on the watch - they are on the bezel, the tachymeter, and the minute track. Also, do you need both a bezel and a tachymeter? Sorry to appear to be critical, but there is a lot of competition out there. Of the 3 watches in the Fratello article, I am not keen on the Breitling either, for much the same reasons. The Rolex looks much better, I think.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:07 am
I fell to temptation yesterday :oops: :lol: I've never been a screw-down pusher fan and fell out with Big Blue over this at two times of trying. Today I find myself rationalising just leaving the pushers unscrewed when not actually going for full body immersion.

Fancy that, a bloke who says "PAH!" to screw down pushers and "BLECH!" to bicompax dials: this watch might just have some work to do. :lol: :lol:
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:32 pm
Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:07 am
I fell to temptation yesterday :oops: :lol: I've never been a screw-down pusher fan and fell out with Big Blue over this at two times of trying. Today I find myself rationalising just leaving the pushers unscrewed when not actually going for full body immersion.

Fancy that, a bloke who says "PAH!" to screw down pushers and "BLECH!" to bicompax dials: this watch might just have some work to do. :lol: :lol:
Worth a try, you might surprise yourself! Definitely a distinctive looking piece :)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Well, lonely as I’ve felt since purchasing my C65 Chrono back on launch day +1, I’ve had absolutely no regrets at all.

In my humble opinion, the watch perfectly lives up to the CW sales blurb regarding what it’s meant to be reminiscent of. Hence, the screw down pushers, 30 min coloured sub dial and tachymeter.

Tikka, I truly hope that you can get past your prejudices against screw down pushers and bicompax sub dials because this is a lovely, well made watch. Mine is also well within COSC spec for accuracy too.
89C7F530-019E-4368-8547-FC569D038791.jpeg
Steve.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Thermexman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:30 pm Well, lonely as I’ve felt since purchasing my C65 Chrono back on launch day +1, I’ve had absolutely no regrets at all.

In my humble opinion, the watch perfectly lives up to the CW sales blurb regarding what it’s meant to be reminiscent of. Hence, the screw down pushers, 30 min coloured sub dial and tachymeter.

Tikka, I truly hope that you can get past your prejudices against screw down pushers and bicompax sub dials because this is a lovely, well made watch. Mine is also well within COSC spec for accuracy too.

89C7F530-019E-4368-8547-FC569D038791.jpeg
Brilliant picture of your C65 Chronograph! I share your appreciation of the screw down pushers (should it ever be near water or caught in a down pour), love the bi-compass layout and the coloured sub dials. IMO

Life circumstances dictate I must keep my hands in my pocket, otherwise the NN that popped up in today's sale would be on its way to Canada.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Well, it is a diving chrono taking design cues from diving chronos from the late 60s and 70s. Criticism for something it isn't trying to be (a racing chrono) is a bit unfair. A rotating bezel and a tach are both prominent features of a diving chrono. The Rolex in the Fratello article shouldn't be there. I can only imagine it is included so that they can get Rolex in the article for SEO. It does have screw down pushers but isn't a diving chrono (it is a racing chrono layout). The Yachtmaster II would have been a more apples to apples comparison.

The sub dial layout is to time the start of a sailboat race, again taking cues from the late 60s and 70s.

Yema, Bulova etc all had very colorful diving chronographs in the same era.

Maybe CW will keep plugging away and we will see more options added to the Racing line that will appeal to people that like that esthetic better. The C65 and C60 lines have seen most of the love lately so it could be possible.

For what it is trying to be, the C65 chrono is a pretty good attempt. If I had more funds available in my watch slush fund one would probably be on its way here now. Make no mistake though, the vintage nature is right in my wheel house. I totally get not being interested on those grounds.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

If they hadn't put the screw down pushers on, then every review would be: "it's a dive watch without screw down pushers ..."
You can't please all the people, all pf the time.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

There are several reviews of the C65 Chronograph in the CWArchives.

You can access all the articles reviews etc for any model by going to Publications > Press links and then search for what you are after.

Here are the reveiws/articles on the C65 Chronograph
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

exHowfener wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:58 pm If they hadn't put the screw down pushers on, then every review would be: "it's a dive watch without screw down pushers ..."
You can't please all the people, all pf the time.
Whoa! So now I can have dive chronos without screw-down and dive chronos with screwdowns? How's that for ticking every box?

And talking of boxes......
20210123_131914.jpg
20210123_132336.jpg
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Well, it looks okay so far....
20210123_133730.jpg
20210123_134515.jpg
20210123_133917.jpg
20210123_134539.jpg
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

That definitely looks top notch Pete, and non too shabby next to your vintage Seamaster Chronograph.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:54 pm That definitely looks top notch Pete, and non too shabby next to your vintage Seamaster Chronograph.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks Guy. It's a keeper! Temporarily it's on a C60 bracelet which is "my-size" and sits maybe 0.5mm below the top of the lugs so has a slight stepped look.

How do I feel about the screwed pushers? I'd rather they weren't but it isn't toxic.
How do I feel about the red date details? Funky, it works.
How do I feel about the 30 minute chrono? some times it'll be a bother and sometimes it won't.

I guess that the correct bracelet will get resized this week:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands