C65 Sandstorm first impressions

Documentation and CW-related information
mlstein

C65 Sandstorm first impressions

Post by mlstein »

My wife's 25th anniversary gift to me. This is the limited edition collaboration with Worn and Wound, and it makes sense to me that W+W seems to be based in Brooklyn, because the dial, which is the focus of the collaboration, seems very hipster Brooklyn in character. I don't mind at all. The metal ring with cutout numbers, the slate center, even the rough canvas strap, all evoke what's become an international style language which I haven't seen realized before in a watch. It works for me.

The rest is basically current CW design, and that's no bad thing either. The "light catcher" case is gorgeous, especially in full light where the curves, bevels, and alternating polished and brushed surfaces catch the light in different ways. The box crystal is a bit of a contrast but in this watch it serves to link the harder edge dial to the softer case. So, too, does the use of steel in the dial itself.

It's chronometer certified (and comes with the papers) and 15 ATM water resistant. It's just the right size for my small wrist, at 38 mm, and feels slimmer than its already slim 11.4 mm thickness.

Problems? The canvas strap is slow breaking in and l am mostly wearing it on third party straps; conveniently, the strap has quick release spring bars, which helps. The date function (that little red marker on the interior ring) is a clever idea but the date numbers are so tiny they're all but illegible. I don't need the high WR and would rather not mess with a screw down crown, especially as the movement has only a 38 hour power reserve. But these are minor quibbles. It's the most impressive watch I have and given my budgeting priorities it's likely to keep that title.

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: C65 Sandstorm first impressions

Post by jkbarnes »

Welcome to the forum, and what a great post to “introduce” yourself with. I wasn’t a fan of this when it was first announced, but your write up has me seeing the design in a different light now.

I hope you hang around and join in the discussions.
Drew
SimonGermany
Senior
Senior

Post by SimonGermany »

Yeah, in my experience canvas straps do take a while to break in, but it’s well worth the wait.

Lovely watch. Congratulations.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new acquisition. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)