Too soon to tell?

Documentation and CW-related information
Henryj
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Too soon to tell?

Post by Henryj »

Ok, I’ve had my first C. Ward watch for exactly two days now. Not a review as such, but some first impressions.

I cannot see any obvious or visible corner cutting in how the watch is built. Case work, bracelet, bezel, etc. all look really very well done. No complaints here. Sellita SW330? At 48 hours, I’m +4 seconds. I’m hoping there isn’t a settling in period that’ll throw it off.

One thing I’m very happy about is the GMT hand is perfectly aligned. That can be hit or miss on some watch brands from Steinhart to a Breitling Avenger II GMT I had.

This one is a 42mm, and I’m still on the fence about returning it for a 40mm. My biggest concern is whether it would be a crap shoot or not. This one has, so far, great timekeeping, a perfectly aligned GMT hand. I’d hate to trade it for one that isn’t as spot on all the way around.

If I had any complaint at all, I kinda wish they included a 3/5 link to get the bracelet perfect with the micro adjust in a middle notch. Just a quibble for me because my wrist changes through the day.

That’s all I got so far.
F9C96929-934E-43C0-829C-79538211BCE5.jpeg
The gods may note every sparrow that falls, but they make no effort to catch them.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Too soon to tell?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Purely personal view, you understand...

On a couple of occasions in the past I have tried to convince myself that a watch was not too big. In my case a mistake. Obviously this is something only you can decide, but I know that if a watch is too big or heavy for me then I just feel uncomfortable and I am aware of it all the time. If a watch fits well I can pretty much forget about it until I need to look at it, but not if it’s too big, bulky or heavy.

The fact that you’re unconvinced would make me think that you do probably find it too big. Therefore...

Just be aware that if you are considering sending it back, it should be in what they describe as unworn condition and you should probably not be wearing it outside.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/cserv ... -guarantee
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Your photo looks like the size is ok - but as AVO says only you can really decide on that.

I feel that height is usually the biggest effect when wearing and whether 40 or 42mm diameter the height is little changed (.15mm to be pedantic) whereas the bigger diameter spreads the height better - IMHO.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:29 am Your photo looks like the size is ok - but as AVO says only you can really decide on that.

I feel that height is usually the biggest effect when wearing and whether 40 or 42mm diameter the height is little changed (.15mm to be pedantic) whereas the bigger diameter spreads the height better - IMHO.
Excellent coaching from both AVO and H0rati0. Great watch choice btw....congratulations on the addition
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Henryj
Junior
Junior

Post by Henryj »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:29 am Your photo looks like the size is ok - but as AVO says only you can really decide on that.

That’s pretty much what I’m thinking. If the C65 GMT had a screw down crown, it would have been a no brainer. Besides, the size isn’t much different than a SKX007, and I’ve worn those for years.
The gods may note every sparrow that falls, but they make no effort to catch them.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Henryj wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:20 pm

That’s pretty much what I’m thinking. If the C65 GMT had a screw down crown, it would have been a no brainer. Besides, the size isn’t much different than a SKX007, and I’ve worn those for years.
And interestingly I am getting so much pleasure from my C65 Anthropocene precisely because the crown isn't screw-down. I walk past, I give it a quick wind: as distinct from I walk past and give it a quick shake.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

tikkathree wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:37 pm
And interestingly I am getting so much pleasure from my C65 Anthropocene precisely because the crown isn't screw-down. I walk past, I give it a quick wind: as distinct from I walk past and give it a quick shake.
Generally, I prefer a non-screw crown for general wear (quite possible to achieve 100-150m WR) excepting proper divers - by which I mean used for diving and therefore cheapo! I could not bring myself to dive a CW, that's what the like of Seikos and Citizens are for.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Henryj
Junior
Junior

Post by Henryj »

tikkathree wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:37 pm

Oh, I get that.

I went through a big downsizing spasm a couple months ago. Doxa, Helson, a bunch of Seikos, all sold. I kept a couple G-shocks and an Apple Watch and that was about it. Then I went into research WIS-overthink mode for one watch to do it all. I hadn’t looked at Ward in quite a while because I didn’t like the hands on them, too Bremont-esque. Then I saw the Mk 3 versions. So I read all the reviews and so on, then ordered my C60 GMT. Since I travel for work, or at least I did, I wanted a GMT, since I spend a lot of time at home in the pool, I wanted a screw down crown, since I cook, I wanted a dive bezel for timing rice. And since I wanted one watch to do it all and look good all around, I landed here. Going Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko would have meant selling my wife’s cats for medical research, and that wouldn’t have gone over well.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Congrats on the new purchase. As others have said, I think the size LOOKS right on you, but only you can say if FEELS right. I'm happy to hear that your first impressions are so good. I have a C60 Mk2 and Mk2.5, as well as couple of older models, and I do think that, as CW has moved upmarket, the C60 has continued to punch above it's price.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

If you have worn it surely it cant be returned???
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

If you feel the size is ok but still feel the bracelet sizing sits frustratingly between links, there is always the option of adding a strap. The rubber hybrid straps look great and also appear to make the watch look a little smaller due to the way they fall straight down from the lugs rather than jutting out a little.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Henryj
Junior
Junior

Post by Henryj »

FWIW, I sent the watch back on Tuesday. It was just a bit bigger than I wanted, so I’ve requested a straight exchange for a 40mm. Maybe it’s an age thing, but I just want a bit smaller. To me, 40mm is a more nearly classic size.
Henryj
Junior
Junior

Post by Henryj »

Ok, so my 40mm C60 arrived today, I can’t say enough good about C. Ward and their customer service. They were just perfecto all the way around. 👍🏻

Everything I had to say about the 42 applies here as well. Look, quality feel, hand alignment, all better than you would expect. For me, the 40mm size is the sweet spot, there’s a reason Rolex and Omega have hovered around this size for so long. Could I have kept the 42 and worn it without looking dorky? Yes, I’ve worn larger watches with no problem. Maybe it’s an age thing (68) but instead of asking what’s the biggest watch I can wear without looking goofy, I’ve come to what’s the right size for me? This C60 GMT 40mm just nails it in the search for “one” watch.
B82FEEC2-607F-4440-B614-03E73BDC102D.jpeg
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Congratulations, looks great on you.
Enjoy that beautiful watch now.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have to say that DOES look better to me. Good decision. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)