LESeven: yes

Breaking News from WatchPro July 31

Post by Kip »

Breaking news from WatchPro

Christopher Ward secures £6.25m investment from British Growth Fund

Article can be read here.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Breaking News from WatchPro July 31

Post by H0rati0 »

Ah ha. So that's what's been going on. No wonder management has been somewhat distracted.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Sounds like great news for CW. Should give them the investment they need to invest in product development, not to mention QC/CS and all the other vital components of a growing, successful business.

I see the BGF investor who will be joining the board is a Scottish Chartered Accountant.....what can go wrong?!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Thegreyman wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:27 pm Sounds like great news for CW. Should give them the investment they need to invest in product development, not to mention QC/CS and all the other vital components of a growing, successful business.

I see the BGF investor who will be joining the board is a Scottish Chartered Accountant.....what can go wrong?!
Does his CV indicate who he has worked for in the past?

Overall good news for CW, as I think that BGF take a different approach to many PE or VC funds.

I also note that the BGF press release includes what should be up to date numbers re staff, orders and turnover.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

nbg wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:44 pm
Thegreyman wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:27 pm Sounds like great news for CW. Should give them the investment they need to invest in product development, not to mention QC/CS and all the other vital components of a growing, successful business.

Overall good news for CW, as I think that BGF take a different approach to many PE or VC funds.

I also note that the BGF press release includes what should be up to date numbers re staff, orders and turnover.

Neil
22000 orders is quite vague - could be watches, straps, returns. I would like to think it's actual units sold, but I suspect we'll never know as a figure similar to that has been mentioned before.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

nbg wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:44 pm

Neil
If you link to the press release, you can then read the chap's bio on their website. Seems I spoke to soon though, he's spent many years in banking :silent: :wink:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

^^^^^Really Patrick, can’t say that I noticed.... :wink:

Neil
TZ-UK
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Hopefully, it’s great news for both CW and us, as interested owners/potential future purchasers! Will be interesting to watch (sorry) how this pans out.
Steve.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Sounds like the beginning of an exit by CW and others to me.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

jtc wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:38 pm Sounds like the beginning of an exit by CW and others to me.
What makes you say that Jon?
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

richtel wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:07 pm
jtc wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:38 pm Sounds like the beginning of an exit by CW and others to me.
Growth has delivered a healthy return on investment. Successful entrepreneurs are always looking for the next opportunity. CW is an established brand now, with some efficient vertigal integration, but the higher priced items aren't their bread and butter, and likely won't ever be. There also seems to be a struggle with volume. Good time to cash out and let others feed and water a solid money maker.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

jtc wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:11 pm
Growth has delivered a healthy return on investment. Successful entrepreneurs are always looking for the next opportunity. CW is an established brand now, with some efficient vertigal integration, but the higher priced items aren't their bread and butter, and likely won't ever be. There also seems to be a struggle with volume. Good time to cash out and let others feed and water a solid money maker.
Thanks Jon- that's an interesting thought. But as the BGF represents a minority stake in the business the current directorship surely remains and the fresh investment represents opportunity for improvement, product expansion and fresh markets in partnership with the investor, rather than under a 'new broom'?
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

richtel wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:32 pm
jtc wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Thanks Jon- that's an interesting thought. But as the BGF represents a minority stake in the business the current directorship surely remains and the fresh investment represents opportunity for improvement, product expansion and fresh markets in partnership with the investor, rather than under a 'new broom'?
Perhaps BGF will have a larger shareholding than any of the existing shareholders. VC or PE outfits tend not to sit back and just be passive shareholders, if they have taken a significant shareholding.....

Neil
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nbg wrote: Perhaps BGF will have a larger shareholding than any of the existing shareholders. VC or PE outfits tend not to sit back and just be passive shareholders, if they have taken a significant shareholding.....

Neil
That's true for VC and PE outfits but, my understanding of the BGF modus operandi, is that whilst they invest in Companies that VC and PE outfits might also invest in, they are not looking for the same level of return, or an Exit Plan, but genuinely want to grow the business.

This may sound somewhat altruistic but it's what I understand.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England