Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

C60 Trident Pro Mk3 - First look

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Every now and then a Motor Manufacturer will come along and give their favourite model a facelift with tweaks to the styling of this and that. Periodically, they will do a more fundamental update to provide a virtually new model but keep the same model name.

Well, the watch industry operates on very similar principals and this is where we are with the C60 Trident Mk3 range.

Gone are the distinctive and familiar onion/teardrop hour hand and sword like minutes hand of earlier models. Gone is the familiar wavy dial. In come an arrowhead like triangular hour hand and a cricket bat minutes hand, both with subtle bevelling to their polished edges to catch the light (no chance of confusing the two either). In comes a new glossy lacquered dial. The bodywork (case) has taken on the subtle tones of the C65 Trident Diver, introduced last year, with a sculptured and slimming undercut to the lower portion of the case sides.

The Zirconia Ceramic bezel has been carried over but now has full Grade X1 GL C1 Super-LumiNova® lume. Unseen, the bezel mechanism has been thoroughly reworked to provide a more satisfying action and responsive click. The bezel on the GMT version has lost its controversial hybrid markers for a more accustomed full 24 hour markings. The internal threading of the crown has been improved so that winding and engaging Trident Mk 3's functions are smoother than before.

To provide a wider choice for the popular Trident, along with the familiar 38mm and 42mm sizes (Mk2 was 43mm) a new 40mm size has been added to the range. Initially only available with a black dial / black bezel colourway, no doubt CW will be looking at the sales performance of this model to see if it will be beneficial to provide other colourways.

Last week I was able to take a look at the C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 in the new 40mm size which, from many comments on the forum over the years, seems to be the 'sweet spot' for quite a number of members. Is it worth the wait?

The new dial is superb with the gloss finish providing a superb depth of colour.

The bezel has a fine polished ring surrounding it between the edge of the bezel insert and the toothed side. The white printed date window surround nicely matches the text on the dial.

Bright sunlight deepens the depth of colour on the dial, but starts playing tricks with the reflections coming off the bevelled edges of the hand, altering their perceived shape.

The sculptured and slimming undercut to the lower portion of the case sides have a brushed finish with a superbly polished bevelled edge above, providing a visual separation with the brush finish of the top of the case.

This now leads onto an all new fully brushed bracelet. The centre links are wider than before and the fitted ends have a subtle concave profile to their top, where they abut the case. Sizing of the bracelet, by removing or adding links, has the familiar pin and collar arrangement.

The pièce de résistance of the bracelet is the quick-release pins.

Whilst I have become adept at fitting and removing the bracelet on my Mk2 Tridents, which I now do in a few minutes, with the QR pins, removal and fitting can now be achieved (with a modicum of practice) in seconds.

Oh, and did I mention the case back has been tweaked too? There are now elongated slots, mimicking the breather on an aqualung, for the case removal tool to slot into and the Trident has been re-profiled with a curvier look.

The deployant clasp has also been upgraded. The buttons for the catch are now elongated, not round, and the face of the clasp has two ribbed lines to it. Internally, the ratchet micro-adjustment has the same range as before, of around 8mm, but with a wider and deeper release button that is easier to use.

NB> The Trident Pro 600 is also available on CW's new hybrid Cordura®/ Rubber strap. I've used a NATO strap when wearing it out of personal preference.

EVOLUTION

A snapshot of the C60 Trident bloodline with, left to right, C60 Trident Pro Mk1 'Scooter Blue' Forum LE (42mm), C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 (40mm) and C60 Trident Pro 600 COSC (SH21) Mk2 (43mm).

COMPARISON

As I've mentioned already a 40mm case width diver is the 'sweet spot' for quite a number of forum members. Moreover it is the size of one of the most revered dive watches, the Rolex Submariner.

OK, I've not got one of those but I have got a good interpretation of one in the guise of a Tissel Marine Diver. Modelled on the 'Sub' it has a difference in the thickness of the lugs, being wider than an 'old' Sub but narrower than a current one. That said its a good likeness.

Which to choose will clearly be a matter of personal preference but I feel the Trident is far more elegant and svelte, looking like it will wear a touch smaller. Your view may be different.

OTHER MODELS - super quick look

Having attended the CW Manchester GTG last Saturday, I was able to look at the wider range of the Trident Mk3s and snapped these;-

38mm Trident Pro 600

Trident Pro 600s, left to right, 42mm, 40mm and 38mm (note the tell-tale size of the hour marker at 3, the size of which will help you judge the size in a stand alone photo).

C60 Trident Elite 1000

The Elite 1000 is a stand alone model of 300 pieces and has several unique features over the rest of the, current, Trident range not least of which are a Titanium case, fine coin edge to the bezel and 1,000m WR.

Available on CW's new hybrid Cordura® / Rubber strap (no bracelet unfortunately, although I believe the steel bracelet from other Mk3s will fit, it rather defeats the object of the light Titanium watch).

TED'S CORNER

A quick summary of sizes for the Trident Pro 600 and GMT

Case - 42mm
Height - Pro - 13.4mm; GMT - 13.8mm; Elite - 14.6mm
Lug2lug - 49.3mm
Lug width - 22mm
Weight - Pro & GMT - 95g; Elite - 75g
Weight with 21cm bracelet - Pro & GMT - 194g; Elite - no bracelet option

Case - 40mm
Height - Pro - 12.95mm; no GMT
Lug2lug - 47.46mm
Lug width - 20mm
Weight - 83g
Weight with 21cm bracelet - 188g

Case - 38mm
Height - Pro - 12.7mm; GMT - 13.35mm
Lug2lug - 45mm
Lug width - 20mm
Weight - 73g
Weight with 21cm bracelet - 168g

Movements used;-

Pro 600 - Sellita SW200-1

GMT 600 - ETA 2893-2

Elite 1000 - Sellita SW200 COSC

Summary

It is a tall order for Christopher Ward to improve and enhance their most successful model but they have, to my mind, succeeded magnificently.

The upgrades in specification and design bring the Mk3 Trident onto a whole new level from the Mk2 and, on the Pro 600 version, for only an additional £35 over the cost of the outgoing model.

Will I be buying one? You'll have to wait and see.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: C60 Trident Pro Mk3 - First look

Post by neilj568 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Guy
I think that's a given....but not sure which one you'll go for... :D
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

neilj568 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:18 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Guy
I think that's a given....but not sure which one you'll go for... :D
Very informative Guy thanks for taking time to do that. The weights and measures a useful reference when one is swithering over which model to get.

I would have thought the Elite would be right up your street, a good companion for your C11 Extreme (or would that make it green with envy!).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Great write up and pictures Guy. I hadn't noticed how close the "Christopher Ward" text is to the 9 o'clock marker on the 38mm compared to the others until you pointed out the difference in the 3 o'clock markers. It appears from the pictures that the 40mm and 42mm versions have a little more room for the dial to "breathe" if that makes sense.

A 42mm version of the pro might be in my future, but will have to wait a bit as I recently purchased a Monta.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

mvlow wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:30 pm Great write up and pictures Guy. I hadn't noticed how close the "Christopher Ward" text is to the 9 o'clock marker on the 38mm compared to the others until you pointed out the difference in the 3 o'clock markers. It appears from the pictures that the 40mm and 42mm versions have a little more room for the dial to "breathe" if that makes sense.
I noticed this as well, but check the official CW site.

From the official pics on the site, it looks as though the 38mm prototype/demo may have been fitted with a 42mm 9 marker, whereas the production models look to have the 9 marker from the 40mm model.
Ryan
Bahnstormer_vRS

@mvlow @StrappedUp - Good spot gents.

I hadn't noticed that on the Pro model at the GTG on Saturday.

Here's a 38mm GMT taken at the Media launch on Tuesday. The marker is shorter and there is a definite gap to the CW text. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

mvlow wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:30 pm It appears from the pictures that the 40mm and 42mm versions have a little more room for the dial to "breathe" if that makes sense.
I think that makes perfect sense. In looking at Guy’s pic of all three sizes, the dial of the 38mm definitely looks crowded. Conversely, the 42mm looks too vast. The 40mm, on the other hand, looks just right, with the proportions among all the elements on the dial being darn near perfect.

That being said, I do like the proportions of the bezel to watch face on the 38mm.
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Another fantastic review Guy, but with this and the one From Downer yesterday I’m going to have to ask you all to stop. Remember I’m reviewing this watch shortly and I’m not going to be able to follow all these.

Iain
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Bahnstormer_vRS

iain wrote:Another fantastic review Guy, but with this and the one From Downer yesterday I’m going to have to ask you all to stop. Remember I’m reviewing this watch shortly and I’m not going to be able to follow all these.

Iain
Don't worry Iain.

Mine and Downer's have very much been first sight and impressions.

Yours can be in the 'month on the wrist' vein.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:22 pm
Yours can be in the 'month on the wrist' vein.
I have been giving some thought to how to take a different approach to my review. There are already many well written reviews of this watch appearing, so it would be good to try to do something a little different. Especially as I’m not a professional writer and only have a phone to take photographs with.

That’s actually quite a good idea you have. I can post some immediate quick photos up when it arrives and delay my actual review until some of the initial excitement has calmed down.

Iain
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Some great pictures there, Guy! To add to the comparison picture, the 9 hour markers all vary in size as well. The 40mm has the smallest, followed by the 38mm, then the 42mm is the biggest. I agree that the 40 seems to have the best proportions overall but I do think they're all well done. Hopefully we will see more 40 colors soon so we all have our pick.

Looking forward to your review, Iain. Let us know how it compares to your collection as well. Tridents always tend to do hold their ground there pretty well. :)
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 pmImage
As a few people have been pointing out already, when the hands are exactly across from each other they seem to form a trident-like spear. I'd like to imagine that was intended, but it's still cool nonetheless. The new hands are definitely growing on me but I'll always love the old ones. :wave:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

C60 Trident Pro Mk3 - First look

Post by Robotaz »

CWL hit a home run with the hands. The whole package is really coming together. The fact that they poured on the extra lume is the icing on the cake. It’s a great watch.

@robotazky
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Nice review Guy, lots of excellent detail, and wonderful to see the 3 new models side by side. I’ve always said 40mm was my sweet spot, and I know I’m not alone, so I doubt it will be long before other colours appear in that size.

Personally I’m not a fan of the hands, but in most of the other respects CW seem to have conjured up some very good things.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

0uatiOW wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:59 pm
Personally I’m not a fan of the hands, but in most of the other respects CW seem to have conjured up some very good things.
I agreed with you at first, but they have grown on me, I am even now accepting of the overhang. Much to like about the rest of the Mk3 so I think it is going to do well.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)