Quick review - C60 Trident Mk 3

Documentation and CW-related information
downer
CW-watches: 4

Quick review - C60 Trident Mk 3

Post by downer »

I got the opportunity to have a look at this watch just before it went back to CW en-route to a fortunate forum member who will shortly receive it.

I am sure there are plenty of press reviews so I will not go into too much detail and will limit this post to my initial observations and impressions.

The first thing to say is – for me – 40mm is just the perfect size. I am a largish bloke but I don’t particularly enjoy wearing oversized watches.

This one at 40mm sits just right, and the ratio between case, bezel and crystal dimensions feels about right – meaning the watch is perfectly easy to read, good to look at, but not too “look at me”.

The second thing to mention is the case shape, which is far more complex than previous C60’s, and indeed many other dive watches. No slab sides, pointed lugs or crazy dimensions, but a rather more organic shape accentuated with polished areas on the top and bottom edges of the case sides.

Moving on to the dial and hands, this particular watch has a gloss black dial and ceramic bezel and – clearly – a handset that is a departure for the CW Trident. The seconds hand retains the familiar trident counter-balance, but the minute and hour hands are new. I’ve read a few comments about the size/shape/length/overlap etc, and it is of course a matter of personal preference.

All I would say is that – on the wrist, rather than in macro detail on a PC monitor – they work well, in my opinion.

(By the way, apologies for the out-of-line bezel and fingerprint at 15-20 in the following pic. Didn't notice until it was too late).

Although I have owned a significant number of CW watches, my experience with Trident is limited. I had a couple of the early (Mark 1 300m) watches and currently also own a Bronze Ombre.

The one thing that is clear to me is the obvious and relentless improvement in quality of these watches over the years. This is apparent in case complexity, dial finish, quality of the markers and hands as well as the more tangible bezel click and crown action (although as a brand new watch, the crown is fairly stiff).

The quick-release feature on the bracelet is one of those brilliantly simple ideas that makes you wonder why we’ve all been having to brandish the Bergeons for the last few decades. It seems to work really well and, along with the hidden ratchet extension makes the CW bracelet a good quality and practical addition to the watch.

About the lume...

Although I lack the dedication to wake up at 3AM to take pictures of the lume, I am fairly sure the lume on this watch is a serious improvement to previous CW's. In conversation with Adrian Buchmann (CW in-house design guy), he made plenty of references to lume surface area, depth and material quality. I'm no expert, but my initial impressions were positive - the lume shone immediately when moving from bright light to shadow, the material seemed to be very evenly applied (I have seen some watches where the lume seemed to be patchy - presumably caused by different 'paint' thickness), and of course the lumed bezel is a real bonus.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In conclusion then...

One of things we all need to remember is the huge amount of work that goes into bringing a product such as this to market. Almost a year ago I was lucky enough to see some of the design prototypes for this watch and I know that the CW team (in all departments) have been working on this non-stop.

Having said that, of course the watch needs to deliver on its core purpose and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by this one. I am not in the market for a black diver as the niche is covered by my long-term and sentimentally-valuable Omega PO, but I think in a different colour or possibly with a different complication, I will be looking hard at the new Trident III.

If you’ve got this far… thanks for reading, and here’s a few more pictures.

Richard
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Quick review - C60 Trident Mk 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Fantastic pics and really informative quick write-up. I was hesitant about this watch after seeing the teaser pics, but I think I'm now sold. Thanks for sharing...
Drew
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Good review and pics. It's good to see that after 10 year's they have finally got the lume right!
'Tis me
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

Richard thank you for this review. To my eyes the watch looks great, indeed I now feel my Mk2 is somewhat 'clunky' in comparison. Provided the quick release pins are robust, and I'm sure they will be, they are a great feature. They make the watch so flexible being able to switch from bracelet to leather or canvas in seconds.
Gordon
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Richard excellent pics as always, that show off the watch well.

The 40mm size does look spot on. It will be interesting to see how many folk go for the 40mm, rather than the 42mm.

Looking forward to handling one at the London GTG in August.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

Thanks for quickly doing a quick review! And some great photos.

I can see from your first photo that the 40mm is a good size for you - what is your wrist size for comparison? I think the 40mm will sell well, it’ll be interesting in a few months to see sale figures for the three different sizes with black dial.
Dean
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Thanks for the mini review and great shots Richard.
I'll take a 40mm GMT .... Oh wait :silent:
Guess I'll have to sit and hope that enough buy the 40mm to warrant the intro of further models.
I suppose there's nothing to lose looking at the 38mm, 60/60 and all that.

What's apparent to me from some of the pics above is that the beautiful gloss dial could really use the help of a 2nd outer AR coating like the SMPc and POs.
I'm sure many will disagree on the basis that it's too easy to scratch, but my gripe with the mkII black dial was that it looked grey in most lighting because of the reflections.
Understandably, it was never really an issue on my white or blue mkIIs.

Credit to CW though, they have produced yet another superb looking watch and at a very minimal cost increase over the mkII which I find remarkable :clap:
Ryan
downer

Post by downer »

nbg wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:33 am Richard excellent pics as always, that show off the watch well.

The 40mm size does look spot on. It will be interesting to see how many folk go for the 40mm, rather than the 42mm.

Looking forward to handling one at the London GTG in August.

Neil
Neil, I understand CW's strategy of testing the water with 40mm, but I'm sure it will sell well and they will (hopefully) add additional colours and complications.
EddieTheBeast wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:37 am Thanks for quickly doing a quick review! And some great photos.

I can see from your first photo that the 40mm is a good size for you - what is your wrist size for comparison? I think the 40mm will sell well, it’ll be interesting in a few months to see sale figures for the three different sizes with black dial.
My wrist is about 7.5"
StrappedUp wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:46 am Thanks for the mini review and great shots Richard.
I'll take a 40mm GMT .... Oh wait :silent:
Guess I'll have to sit and hope that enough buy the 40mm to warrant the intro of further models.
I suppose there's nothing to lose looking at the 38mm, 60/60 and all that.

What's apparent to me from some of the pics above is that the beautiful gloss dial could really use the help of a 2nd outer AR coating like the SMPc and POs.
I'm sure many will disagree on the basis that it's too easy to scratch, but my gripe with the mkII black dial was that it looked grey in most lighting because of the reflections.
Understandably, it was never really an issue on my white or blue mkIIs.

Credit to CW though, they have produced yet another superb looking watch and at a very minimal cost increase over the mkII which I find remarkable :clap:
Interesting point about the external AR. I've had a few with that feature and never really experienced issues with scratching the coating. My PO has the external AR and a gloss black (ceramic) dial. I think it works...

although in some lighting conditions it still appears grey...

Richard
downer

Post by downer »

GTC854 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:31 am Richard thank you for this review. To my eyes the watch looks great, indeed I now feel my Mk2 is somewhat 'clunky' in comparison. Provided the quick release pins are robust, and I'm sure they will be, they are a great feature. They make the watch so flexible being able to switch from bracelet to leather or canvas in seconds.
I know what you mean about 'clunky'. The Mark 3 case is certainly more 'refined', although many prefer the more solid appearance of 'clunky' divers - for example the Black Bay.
Richard
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Thank you for the pictures and review. The move to a polished dial is a nice changeup, and the flags under 12 was A MUST moving forward. The case is the obvious biggest improvement for me; very detailed and artsy compared to the prior C60s. I honestly don't care much for the hands compared to the prior (and legendary) ones, but I don't hate 'em either. I just think they lack the charm and wit of the teardrop and sword.

I'd really like the 40mm to come out in other colors. The 38mm has lost the chrome at the date which makes the area feel a bit naked. Plus it now wears thinner; my 38mm MKII actually has good presence from the "clunk." I'm glad the 42mm is smaller now. If they don't come out with other 40 colors a 42 might be for me.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:02 am Thank you for the pictures and review. The move to a polished dial is a nice changeup, and the flags under 12 was A MUST moving forward. The case is the obvious biggest improvement for me; very detailed and artsy compared to the prior C60s. I honestly don't care much for the hands compared to the prior (and legendary) ones, but I don't hate 'em either. I just think they lack the charm and wit of the teardrop and sword.

I'd really like the 40mm to come out in other colors. The 38mm has lost the chrome at the date which makes the area feel a bit naked. Plus it now wears thinner; my 38mm MKII actually has good presence from the "clunk." I'm glad the 42mm is smaller now. If they don't come out with other 40 colors a 42 might be for me.
From what I can see on the CW website none of the new Trident's have the chrome box around the date anymore. It looks like it's a painted surround ?
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Yeh, I think the point is about there being no bling to balance out the 9 o'clock marker on the 38mm, whereas the other 2 have polished markers at 3 & 9.
Ryan
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Excellent review, beautifully photographed from someone whose opinions I always take note of.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Richard, you call it a quick review, I prefer concise.
As ever from you, well worth the read and devoid of hype.

Thank you for posting this.
There's always time for one more.
downer

Post by downer »

scooter wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:39 am Excellent review, beautifully photographed from someone whose opinions I always take note of.

scooter
Thanks mate.
Paul Drawmer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:47 am Richard, you call it a quick review, I prefer concise.
As ever from you, well worth the read and devoid of hype.

Thank you for posting this.
Of course, 'concise' is a far better word than 'quick'. :)
Richard