C60 Trident Bronze Ombré Review

Documentation and CW-related information
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

C60 Trident Bronze Ombré Review

Post by theemaadhatter »

Here is my video review of the C60 Trident Bronze Ombré. The reviews and blog are only my hobby, but I do enjoy sharing what I can.

IMG_7698 copy.JPG
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: C60 Trident Bronze Ombré Review

Post by 0uatiOW »

Thanks for sharing. It looks great. Always good to see real pictures or video because the official marketing releases are often too perfect. The dial looks amazing - a real step up from the original bronze Trident, which I have, and I’m sad to say the dial is the only thing about it I don’t particularly like. IMV it’s flat, lacks character and is a missed opportunity. If I didn’t already have it, I would have been tempted with the Ombré. As it happens I’m about the return it for inspection for the second time in 3 months as it’s not running even when it’s on my wrist. Maybe CW will offer an exchange!
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Great review.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by theemaadhatter »

Thanks Scooter. I did update the video, so now there is a close-up clip starting at 12:36, in case anyone that already watched it is interested.
downer

Post by downer »

Thanks for the comprehensive review. It definitely helps to show the character of this watch.

I must admit, mine has quickly become established in my collection and I will enjoy seeing it change over time. The one thing I'm not overly impressed with is the 'aged' leather strap. I have doubts about the longevity of it as mine was already starting to look a strange colour around the buckle area - after only a couple of days. I also think it's a bit thin for the watch, but that is probably just a personal preference.

I currently have mine on a thicker black strap, which seems (to me) to bring out the blacker parts in the dial.

Richard
Decker
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Decker »

Great review & thanks for posting.I do admire people who do blog/vlog as a hobby,it must take up a lot of free time & shows the passion you have for your subject.I took a quick look at your other reviews & there are several that interest me(especially the Orient eclipse)so have hit the subscribe button & am looking forward to watching your content :thumbup:
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Markornot »

I noted in the review that the case back is stainless...in everyday wearing situations probably not an issue but as a sailor, I’ve learned first hand that using dissimilar metals can sometimes cause corrosion as the less noble metal becomes sacrificial in corrosive environments. If the watch is being used for its intended purpose (dive watch) or prolonged exposure to salt air if one was a coastal dweller... I wonder if issues would arise. Also, one would need to be cautious if need arises to remove and replace the case back as cross threading is more likely against a softer metal. I’d be courious after time with the onslaught of all the bronzes watches out there now, if watchback seizing ever becomes an issue.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@Markornot - interesting observation on the caseback.

What would you propose as an alternative to stainless Steel?

Bronze clearly matches up with the case but will then give an issue with a green wrist for the wearer.

It is possible isn't it, and I don't know if it has been done, to have a steel adapter with the screw thread fixed into the case, which the caseback, steel into steel, then screws into.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
downer

Post by downer »

Tudor had issues with their bronze case reacting with the aluminium bezel - although I suspect it's a very isolated case and perhaps subject to a lot of salt?

from https://www.watchprosite.com/rolex/some ... 6.8966566/

Interestingly, Tudor uses a bronze-coloured PVD-treated steel case back, and according to this article, virtually all bronze watches have steel or titanium casebacks.
Richard
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by theemaadhatter »

Yeah, I believe all of the CW bronze watches have stainless steel case backs. I understand wanting something harder than bronze for use with case tools and the threading. As for myself, I won't have it in salt water much, if at all, and I suspect it will be fine over time. But, time will tell.
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by richtel »

Stainless and bronze are pretty close to each other in the galvanic index so in salt water they will react far less than aluminum might with bronze. The usual advice of rinsing a watch off after going in the sea is sensible, and the caseback seal is outboard of the threads. Don't go mad and it'll be fine!
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Baco Noir
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by Baco Noir »

theemaadhatter wrote:Yeah, I believe all of the CW bronze watches have stainless steel case backs. I understand wanting something harder than bronze for use with case tools and the threading. As for myself, I won't have it in salt water much, if at all, and I suspect it will be fine over time. But, time will tell.
It because bronze in contact with sweaty (salt water) skin will increase the corrosion rate, leaching copper from the bronze and leave a green residue on the wrist. Pretty much all bronze watches use Ti casebacks, but Tudor uses a PVD coated SS to make it appear to be bronze.
r-macus
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by r-macus »

For me the watch lacks a border around the indices , a pvd or bronze surround like other c60's would have been the treat.
STOC : Seiko sarb033 / Seiko srp775 / Christopher ward c60 trident pro vintage / Zelos swordfish / Certina ds podium / Yema 011-ba / Luminox seaturtle 0301 
NapoleonDynamite

Post by NapoleonDynamite »

Anyway idea if CW will release the Ombre without COSC to keep the price down in the future?

I personally prefer this design to the Bronze standard C60 version.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

NapoleonDynamite wrote:Anyway idea if CW will release the Ombre without COSC to keep the price down in the future?

I personally prefer this design to the Bronze standard C60 version.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Your guess will be as good as mine, but from past experience of similarly special, limited edition watches the answer will be no.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England