Urban Gentry Review of the C65 Trident GMT

Documentation and CW-related information
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: Urban Gentry Review of the C65 Trident GMT

Post by albionphoto »

I saw the video last night. I was surprised that it was so positive. It seems TGV really likes the watch. His review may well make me take another look at the GMT when I'm in Maidenhead in a couple of weeks time. A lot of the comments weren't too positive about the logo at 9:00 o'clock. i wonder how many of them were going to buy the watch, or any CW or that matter, anyway?
I wonder if I should lend him my C7 Apex as he had plenty of images of that too. Mind you, he won;t be able to keep it and give it away.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
r-macus
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by r-macus »

I think it would be great if you would let him do a review of the c7 apex .
STOC : Seiko sarb033 / Seiko srp775 / Christopher ward c60 trident pro vintage / Zelos swordfish / Certina ds podium / Yema 011-ba / Luminox seaturtle 0301 
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I caught that review a while back. I do like the films he makes, I appreciate his knowledge, research and the fact he seems to say what he thinks be it good or bad.
Thinking about it, that review was probably one of the things that finally tempted me to buying mine.
Nice pic too by the way. That one inspired my to get a green canvas strap made up for my Trident :-)

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Deluge of negative comments on the logo/branding, CW are alienating too many - time to admit they got it wrong and I say that as somebody who has no objection while owning a a new logo model (name at 12 though).
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

H0rati0 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:28 pm Deluge of negative comments on the logo/branding, CW are alienating too many - time to admit they got it wrong and I say that as somebody who has no objection while owning a a new logo model (name at 12 though).
I briefly talked to MF about this at the GTG.
He seemed convinced that the sales increase after rebranding speaks for itself.

I can't help thinking that they would have many more sales with the new logo at 12.

Personally, I would probably have bought a couple more pieces. My only new purchase since the logo change is a C7, which doesn't have the logo!
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

hughesyn wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:36 pm
H0rati0 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:28 pm Deluge of negative comments on the logo/branding, CW are alienating too many - time to admit they got it wrong and I say that as somebody who has no objection while owning a a new logo model (name at 12 though).

I can't help thinking that they would have many more sales with the new logo at 12.

Personally, I would probably have bought a couple more pieces. My only new purchase since the logo change is a C7, which doesn't have the logo!
Pleased you discussed this with MF (facts speak for themselves if sales have increased) however I echo your comments 100% on logo placement (or even better use the very cool duel flag like we see on some pieces)
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Viognier wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:30 pm
hughesyn wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:36 pm

Pleased you discussed this with MF (facts speak for themselves if sales have increased) however I echo your comments 100% on logo placement (or even better use the very cool duel flag like we see on some pieces)
Sales may have increased, but I find it impossible to believe that can be isolated to the new branding given that CW have also introduced many interesting, even compelling pieces, horologically speaking. I think it is more than probable that they would have had far better sales numbers if the branding was not so controversial. It is not just a few dissenting voices, and once again I state that while it does not stop me buying, I would be happier with a 12 o'clock logo (preferably something short, eg just CW) while using the twin flags at 9 to balance a date window as Frank(Nordwulf) has so eloquently mocked up. There is too much dissension and quite evidently it is not just us "reactionary" forumites.

High time to admit this iteration was beyond edgy - it ain't cuttin' it.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Obviously as a company CW can only judge by their sales figures on the perceived success or otherwise of the new naming logo and the usual placement at 9. It would be pointless of them to consider whether they would or could have sold more or less watches if the name was in a "conventional" location and centre justified.

However it has had an effect on my willingness to buy any further CW watches. They have released some great watches especially the C65 and but for where the logo is I would have bought 1 of the C65 versions with a blue dial. I'm not against it "per se" but it and the resulting emptiness at 12 jar my eyes and brain too much to ignore these. Sadly for me it seems that will continue to be the case with all new CW releases.

The C65 Trident GMT is a great looking watch and there are many people enjoying owning it but I'll never be 1 of them. That's probably my loss and won't give CW any cause for concern due to their present sales figures.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

The past financial year has also seen one of the largest clearance sales I can remember from CW, with an everything-must-go stance in old logo stock. As a marketing man, one wonders if MF was using numbers in support of the brand, or purchases of like-for-like brand new CWs are genuinely up. Hope so, they deserve the growth and success.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I’m not a huge fan of the current logo, but that hasn’t stopped me buying new models with it. In real life usage, I simply don’t notice it most of the time and when I do, it’s remarkably inoffensive - to my eyes at least.

I haven’t bought a C60 with the 9 o’clock logo, as I have a number of V2 logoed examples. I suspect I will end up with at least one C60 MkIII with the new logo when they’re released though...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier