Liquid filled watch case: How I modified my Kingfisher C6

Documentation and CW-related information
astrograph

Re: Liquid filled watch case: How I modified my Kingfisher C6

Post by astrograph »

WOW! what a great read :)

i'm curious, would this modification be possible on the Bulova Precisionist models??
the movement used is a quartz Precisionist Bulova caliber P102.10
28800bph
"Asylum Knight of the Diver"
CW-watches: 1

Post by 28800bph »

astrograph wrote:WOW! what a great read :)

i'm curious, would this modification be possible on the Bulova Precisionist models??
the movement used is a quartz Precisionist Bulova caliber P102.10
Hi Astrograph, Welcome over here.

Yes, the Precisionist movement should be fine running in Fluorinert. It's on my list to try but haven't got around to it yet. I've been on a roll filling up Eco-Drives.

I've checked out all the Precisionist models in person. I do think the Precisionists would look good liquid-filled, especially with the curvy crystal. I was also considering transplanting the movement into a different case as a future project. I'd need to design and print a 12.5 ligne movement holder on the Objet, but that would be easy.

The Claremont model has a snap-on case back and limited water resistance (30m). So I'd be hesitant to try that one. Same goes for the Longwood. The Champlain would be a good candidate as the case is built for 300m. There should be plenty of spare room inside the case for all the Precisionist models.

The guts of the Claremont are shown here:
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I was also considering transplanting the movement into a different case as a future project. I'd need to design and print a 12.5 ligne movement holder on the Objet, but that would be easy.
This, sir, is why you are the Asylum Knight. Things that others would never imagine doing you do on a whim. I look forward to both your first liquid filled Precisionist, and your first transplant.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

The "Asylum Knight" stays in a little laboratory in the west tower so he may continue his research without being disturbed by noise from the treatment rooms. It seems to be effective. :D
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
muuds
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Re: Liquid filled watch case: How I modified my Kingfisher C

Post by muuds »

Any update on the patent? This post is amazing!
28800bph

Post by 28800bph »

muuds wrote:Any update on the patent? This post is amazing!
Thanks, I filed the application in December 2010. Average time to first action is 28 months, so it will probably be a little while before I hear from USPTO.
ogredave
Junior
Junior

Post by ogredave »

This thread is awesome. :clap:
IAmATeaf
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by IAmATeaf »

What an amazing read, love the way the dial and hands appear to just float.
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

I'm glad this thread was resurrected, I never liquid filled watches existed! :shock:
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_wat ... ed_watches

Sinn are the most well know for liquid filled watches.
Sinn has pioneered some innovative new technologies, including oil filled watch chambers to enable operation under extreme pressures, argon gas filled watches to prevent moisture infiltration
http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/sinn.htm
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Roger O

Post by Roger O »

Great thread! I was wondering, has anyone used pure mineral oil instead of Fluorinert? It has almost the same physical properties and it is dirt cheap.

Roger
28800bph

Post by 28800bph »

Roger O wrote:Great thread! I was wondering, has anyone used pure mineral oil instead of Fluorinert? It has almost the same physical properties and it is dirt cheap.

Roger
Thanks Roger,

Yes, Mineral oil has been attempted by someone on another forum. The movement ran for a short time before it died:
http://www.homageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6001
He decided to move on to silicone oil after this experiment.

Mineral oil is very low cost, and a good dielectric fluid. But it is much higher viscosity vs. Fluorinert so there is too much drag on the moving parts. It works fine for a digital watch without hands. Even olive oil will work to fill a Casio digital watch as shown by this resourceful guy:
http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php?topic=8937.0
Roger O

Post by Roger O »

28800bph, I appreciate the reply and the links, as you see I am fairly new here (even though I've been lurking for a while!).

Do you know of any less expensive alternatives to Fluorinert, or at least a source that will sell small quantities of it for significantly less than list price?

Roger
28800bph

Post by 28800bph »

I have tried silicone oil (Dow Corning Xiameter PMX-200 1.5 Cst). It is $90/pint from Neely Industries: http://www.neelyindustries.com/p-4124-x ... -pint.aspx
Depending on your location, you'd want to find a Xiameter distributor on your continent.

I haven't seen any problems with silicone, but Sinn switched away from it because the lume ink turned brown in their UX model after a few years. It probably depends on the watch and the proprietary formulation of the lume ink. Fluorinert is a safer bet. So that's all I use now.

Sometimes small quantities of surplus Fluorinert come up on e-bay. Be sure to go with a low viscosity grade like FC-770.

Or you can look for reclaimed Fluorinert. It costs about 40% less than virgin Fluorinert. It's been used for something, but purified by distillation. http://www.tmcindustries.com is one such provider. I don't know if they have a minimum quantity.
Roger O

Post by Roger O »

Thanks for the great info!