Liquid filled watch case: How I modified my Kingfisher C6

Documentation and CW-related information
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Liquid filled watch case: How I modified my Kingfisher C

Post by Cirrus »

Kip wrote:I want to know what you will charge for a battery change and a fluid change of a filled watch when the time comes. :-k
I want to see the jewellers face when he takes the back off one to swap out a battery and ends of with PFC liquid all over his trousers ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
DCP
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 6

Post by DCP »

Truly awsome post - appealed to the engineer in me!
digitalmonk
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by digitalmonk »

WOW! That is an insane project.
Amazing job.
I guess running a military R&D program helps in the skill department ;)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Bringing this up from the dead. An adventurous chap over on TZ-UK has followed in the footsteps of our beloved 28800bph (and credits him appropriately), and has liquid-filled and SMP Quartz. Seeing this does nothing to quell my desire to fill my C6 Yellow.

2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

downer wrote::rate10:

Fascinating post. Thanks for taking the time to show us what you did. Although it is mostly beyond my understanding, I found it interesting and informative. Congratulations for a sucessful project. =D>

Great photography too!

Me too! All of it :thumbup:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
black_ice_pc

Post by black_ice_pc »

What an awesome mod. I remember finding this thread a year or two ago through another forum and thought it was probably the coolest mod I'd ever seen. Still think so! I don't know if its already been posted, but along with Sinn, a brand called Ressence makes a watch called the Type 3 that's liquid filled. It has a big curved crystal and its actually a mechanical. Check it out if you haven't seen it before. Its like $30k though :(
driverm11
Junior
Junior

Post by driverm11 »

"I came up with a different way to account for thermal expansion, a much more simple solution to implement. I won't reveal it here, as I am considering filing a patent application..."

Glad this post was resurrected. This guy is the man.

:clap:
leftfoot
Senior
Senior

Post by leftfoot »

driverm11 wrote:"I came up with a different way to account for thermal expansion, a much more simple solution to implement. I won't reveal it here, as I am considering filing a patent application..."

Glad this post was resurrected. This guy is the man.

:clap:
I have to ask, when did the patent get applied for... I need to see the end of this story. :-k

Over time at temperature extremes crystal oscillators can change frequency and for a watch I would think that would slightly affect the time keeping. Any idea if the quartz circuit is temperature compensated or if it is even necessary for the normal temperatures swings a wearer would experience?
Ad Astra
28800bph
"Asylum Knight of the Diver"

Post by 28800bph »

I thought I'd add an update -- this original C6 mod is still running strong, it's had one battery change since 2010. The U.S. patent issued in 2012.

I don't offer any filling services, instead I've been focusing on manufacture of a watch with this feature. It has a few other unique attributes -- it's solar-powered, and it has remote setting so there is no crown. In fact it has no seals at all, the crystal and case are one single piece of continuous acrylic. It survives thermal shocks and mud/grit that would kill most other dive watches. It has some export controlled technology and some other proprietary aspects, so it's not offered for marketing or sale to general public.
These users thanked the author 28800bph for the post:
Rezn8r
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

Nnnooooooooo!!!!!!!! Well, actually, YYYEEESSSSSS!!!!

I have absolutely no watch making or engineering training whatsoever, but had started thinking of this very idea a while back--had only gotten so far as finding liquids "slippery" enough to use!

So, seeing this certainly validated my mad scientist idea!

Now I'm off to build a tourbillon powered car!

Muuhhhwwaaahahahaha!

J

Ps. Seriously, nice work and congrats on the patent. I'm guessing filling my Ball Trainmaster with crisco was not a good idea :D
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

28800bph wrote:I thought I'd add an update -- this original C6 mod is still running strong, it's had one battery change since 2010. The U.S. patent issued in 2012.

I don't offer any filling services, instead I've been focusing on manufacture of a watch with this feature. It has a few other unique attributes -- it's solar-powered, and it has remote setting so there is no crown. In fact it has no seals at all, the crystal and case are one single piece of continuous acrylic. It survives thermal shocks and mud/grit that would kill most other dive watches. It has some export controlled technology and some other proprietary aspects, so it's not offered for marketing or sale to general public.
Congratulations on the patent!

Your new project sounds most interesting. Are you able to reveal any prototype drawings?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Archie68

Post by Archie68 »

Very interesting and impressive.
28800bph
"Asylum Knight of the Diver"

Post by 28800bph »

Thanks, no photos yet, it's still under wraps
gary.warner

Post by gary.warner »

I can't help but feel that this post will be one of those that will be looked back upon over the years as simply one of the best - congratulations, simply an awe inspiring piece of home engineering that sounds like it has started something special. Thanks for sharing
iskander
Junior
Junior

Post by iskander »

gary.warner wrote:I can't help but feel that this post will be one of those that will be looked back upon over the years as simply one of the best - congratulations, simply an awe inspiring piece of home engineering that sounds like it has started something special. Thanks for sharing
Agreed. I have just joined the forum and found this article. Wish I'd studied harder in school...