Is this the "First" review of the C65 Diver?

Documentation and CW-related information
nordwulf

Re: Is this the "First" review of the C65 Diver?

Post by nordwulf »

Does CW still have their affiliate program where 'reviewers' get a commission on a link they send to the CW website? I think WIAA used these before and always take their positive reviews with a grain of salt.

From their 2013 review. https://www.watchitallabout.com/christo ... ch-review/

/www__.awin1.com/cread.php?awinmid=1315&awinaffid=180499&clickref=&p=http%3A%2F%2

It appears the links of this review include some kind of ID.

view-all-watches?utm_content=H1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj77LprDp2gIVbrvtCh38wAA3EAAYASAAEgIV-_D_BwE
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

^^ I don't know about the affiliate program, but personally, I take all reviews with a pinch of salt, regardless.

In reality, the review "industry" is viewed as part of the marketing effort, and therefore, any reviewer who is consistently negative (or even too honest) will not be a reviewer very long... This of course, means the reviewers have to be careful with their words - as they should with their pictures.

What annoys me is the reviewers who make subjective criticism on design/aesthetics, which is generally a matter of personal taste.
Richard
DillyDilly
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by DillyDilly »

Agreed. Would rather see facts than subjective opinion. Then again it's hard not to show bias at times.

Good (especially macro) photography is key to giving the reader an insight in to something that stock photos may not have highlighted. Josh's photos on WIAA are a great example of what macro shots can do to help a prospective buyer decide.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

downer wrote:Reviewers who post pictures like that ought to be ashamed of themselves. :thumbdown:
Seriously? That's literally how the watch is going to look like at home in mid level lighting. All these fancy pics with studio lighting falsify the look of most watches IMHO and paint a false image in the buyers mind on occasion.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Dancematt wrote:
downer wrote:Reviewers who post pictures like that ought to be ashamed of themselves. :thumbdown:
Seriously? That's literally how the watch is going to look like at home in mid level lighting. All these fancy pics with studio lighting falsify the look of most watches IMHO and paint a false image in the buyers mind on occasion.
I get that - although most times there will not be a reflection of the camera in the dial...

However, when other makers show their watches in the best conditions, that picture puts the CW at a disadvantage.

How many car magazines show cars rammed in an overstuffed suburban garage, covered in bird crap and cat footprints?
Richard
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

nordwulf wrote:Does CW still have their affiliate program where 'reviewers' get a commission on a link they send to the CW website? I think WIAA used these before and always take their positive reviews with a grain of salt.

From their 2013 review. https://www.watchitallabout.com/christo ... ch-review/

/www__.awin1.com/cread.php?awinmid=1315&awinaffid=180499&clickref=&p=http%3A%2F%2

It appears the links of this review include some kind of ID.

view-all-watches?utm_content=H1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj77LprDp2gIVbrvtCh38wAA3EAAYASAAEgIV-_D_BwE

To my knowledge, the affiliate program was discontinued a few years ago.

Due to differing opinions I have always approached reviewers of anything as an adventure. Some are always positive, some are always negative, some are constructive and take a realistic point of view. Best bet, imo, is to find an independent reviewer that has similar tastes as your own and follow them.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

I like it. It's a honest picture. Crap but honest. Others will be along to put it on a pedestal. I would have to twist the phone, bend my knees to get a better angle of the dial and turn on a few lights to get a better pic in the same scenario. How often do we do that to get the best wrist shots? The guy just got his phone out and took a shot.Something painted in its worse light is good information when everyone else tries for a full macro 1k camera, best angle for the product watch advertisement.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
NoBBQ

Post by NoBBQ »

downer wrote: Having said that, there will a void on most watches when all the hands are positioned in the same 5% segment of the dial...

Some of these "reviewers" make me laugh...
Agree for press photos, but it’s nice to get an idea of the watch’s looks in a more ‘on the wrist’ scenario. You gotta like the way your watch looks at all hours. The previous generation of C65s for eg. looked balanced at any time. The 2017 Aquis also jumps to mind.
Josh Ball

Post by Josh Ball »

I have never seen a watch with just 2 number on it, the 12 and the 6. This is unusual.
E57

Post by E57 »

C65 looks great, I just wish that logo is on 12 rather than on 9. Nevertheless, very nice piece of watch especially in blue