Watch Combination Lock

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Watch Combination Lock

Post by JAFO »

https://www.fratellowatches.com/mechani ... atch-lock/

An article on fratello about a combination lock for a watch. What a great idea. (It seems to me)
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Re: Watch Combination Lock

Post by cincfleet »

Certainly an interesting read, thanks for sharing :thumbup: :clap:
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Interesting read but ultimately I see this as a gimmick. As the writer acknowledges, the mechanism renders the watch unusable without a code, but doesn’t prevent the theft in the first place.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Well it doesn't prevent the theft, but without the combination a thief can't use the crown, and also can't remove the back of the watch. You can't set the time without the combination. You certainly wouldn't be able to sell a watch if you couldn't supply the combination, so I would have thought it would be a great deterrent. The word would soon get around. I would have thought it would be an excellent add on for any high value watch, rather like the Dolby system in hi-fi.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

JAFO wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:40 am Well it doesn't prevent the theft, but without the combination a thief can't use the crown, and also can't remove the back of the watch. You can't set the time without the combination. You certainly wouldn't be able to sell a watch if you couldn't supply the combination, so I would have thought it would be a great deterrent. The word would soon get around. I would have thought it would be an excellent add on for any high value watch, rather like the Dolby system in hi-fi.
I don’t think burglars or watch muggers would be sufficiently clued up to identify the watch, know it has a combination lock, realise they need a code, and conclude they should leave the watch behind. If the lock eventually becomes an industry-standard then the word might get around but until then I doubt it.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Not what expected from the subject line. I was thinking this was a specialty lock affixed to the watch when not being worn to prevent access to the crown! 😂

Intriguing idea, but I’m not sure that it’s for me. I struggle enough with a screw down crown sometimes. This level of complication (<— see what I did there?!) would just further confuse me.
Drew
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

A four digit code wouldn't take long enough to break to put people off stealing a high end watch.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

It wasn't four digit. It said it was 4 disks each with 99 slots, so it's a hundred million combinations. effectively an 8 digit lock.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

^^^^apologies, I must've misread it whilst skimming.

I'm still struggling with it though. Sounds like a bit of a faff.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I don’t think burglars or watch muggers would be sufficiently clued up to identify the watch, know it has a combination lock, realise they need a code, and conclude they should leave the watch behind
That's the best option (leaving it behind) but I would imagine that they would simply use either the threat of violence, or actual violence to get the code. It's a novel idea with some clever engineering but out in the real world I can't see that it would work. Probably most burglars would just grab whatever looks valuable and sort through the loot later - so you've still lost your watch. Interesting article though.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think the thing is that if all watches had a system like this muggers would know there's no point in stealing watches because there would be no market for them. It's an opportunistic robbery, like stealing a mobile phone or even a car. Make it hard they would look for a different target.