Do you wear a different watch every day?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Do you wear a different watch every day?

Post by gwells »

since covid happened, i really don't change watches that often any more. pre-covid, the night before i'd grab whatever floated my boat for the next day, set / wind it, and wore that the next day (and that night, but i'm an oddball who wears his watches when he sleeps).

but when covid hit and i stopped going into the office every day, i really didn't have a night-before routine any more. i used to pick out what i would wear so i could leave it outside the bedroom and not wake my wife trying to open drawers and rifle through the closet while she was sleeping. but working from home means grabbing shorts and a tshirt and walking upstairs, so a new routine. now i often wear the same watch for a week or more before changing and i stopped taking daily wrist shots (my instagram account has slowed down a lot).
the "g" is for Greg...
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Generally, yes.
Will swap watches between major activities (eg: one watch for work and swap to another when I get home or for sport, social activities, etc)

Selection influenced primarily by activity; secondly by wardrobe; and thirdly by mood.
eg: work watch, beater watch, sport watch, social watch, etc .... to go with (whatever I'm wearing) ... and what do I feel like wearing that complies with the first two categories..

...ahem, yes, well it makes sense in my head anyway! :lol:
Doesn't everyone do this..? :escape:
Ian
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Tortoise wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:18 am
...ahem, yes, well it makes sense in my head anyway! :lol:
Doesn't everyone do this..? :escape:
Haha! I think you’ve picked out the fact that there’s probably a fair bit of complexity in how we choose what watch to wear. My suggestions don’t cover horological fairy dust and lucky watches and feelings in the bones and the workings of the universe! :lol:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

I wear my 10 watches in rotation (in the order they are listed on the watch check app!).
3 days per watch then move on to the next one.
One of the watches I will check and record its accuracy in different positions each day and record on the app.
It sounds a bit obsessive but I like spending a little time with each watch every day winding and checking, and all watches get equal usage.
I don't lead a particularly active lifestyle so I don't have to worry too much about matching watches with activities.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I’ve only got eight watches and a Seiko quartz which only ever comes out for decorating and DIY duties but otherwise sits unworn.

For the rest, they mostly all get worn in equal measure, with one or two favourites of the month getting worn a little more often.

I tend to have two on the go at any one time, one during the day and one for the evenings/overnight. Some watches aren’t work watches. I’m office based wearing a shirt so my S300 on a nato is too casual. Also some watches aren’t overnight watches. My EP has very little lume so I can’t tell the time in the dark.

Other than that I have no logic or thought process whatsoever. It tends to be a case of “I haven’t work that for a couple of weeks....”
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

I pretty much just wear what takes my fancy, with the following influences occasionally coming into play:

1) Activity - ie: is a beater required?
2) Does it clash awfully with my attire? Mainly applies to my yellow & orange watches.
3) OOps! Am I neglecting that one? Better wear it? Or, maybe it's time to sell it? :ka:
Steve.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Wolfman53 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:34 am I wear my 10 watches in rotation (in the order they are listed on the watch check app!).
3 days per watch then move on to the next one.
One of the watches I will check and record its accuracy in different positions each day and record on the app.
It sounds a bit obsessive but I like spending a little time with each watch every day winding and checking, and all watches get equal usage.
I’m not organised and methodical enough to wear my watches like this, but I really respect this as a way of being closely and thoughtfully involved with my watches. :thumbup:
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I pick up whatever floats my boat at the time. There are occasions where I think i should give some wrist time to an unworn one. My choice was recently influenced by a job interview I was due to have that day - I wore a coloured watch appropriate to the company I was talking to (and, no, it wasn't to impress the interviewer as it was a phone call. Let's face it, very very very few people notice watches anyway).
I will also normally take my Dad's watch to see the team we both supported as a lucky charm. I didn't take it yesterday and we lost.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Same for me, there’s no real rhyme or reason to my choice. I like variety, so I try to pick something different every day. I might change during the day when I get out of work or change activity or clothing.

I use the OnMyWrist app to track what I wear each day, and I might pick something I might not have otherwise if I see I haven’t worn one for a while.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

This from another thread covers my usual approach:
nbg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:27 pm I don’t do rotation in the traditional manner and it doesn’t bother me if I don’t wear a best or favourite watch for months. I tend to pick typically 6-8 of my better/favourite watches to wear as the mood dictates over 4-6 weeks. These are the only better/favourite watches available to wear during the period. In any given period I will also wear a few others that are always available to wear.

Sometimes all of the 6-8 get worn, other times not. At the end of the period I generally switch most around and pick some different watches for the next period. In that way I tend not to get bored, wearing the same watches and it can seem like picking up a new watch again if it hasn’t been worn for months on end.
Within the above I will normally end up wearing more than one watch during a day. The same main watch may be worn on consecutive days, but others will also feature.

There have been occasions when a particular watch has been worn for at least part of the day for a couple of months.

At any one time I usually have three set and running.

A group of 6-8 will usually include one dress watch, one chronograph and the rest sports/dive watches. Most on a bracelet.

I tend not to select based upon activity, the exception being I will generally pick a dress watch for nice lunches or dinners out. The non dress watches in the group are all robust enough for anything that I am likely to be doing. Can’t remember the last time I wore a beater due to concern that the activity I was about to engage in may cause a scratch or other damage.

I do confess that I sometimes match the watch to what I am wearing.

There are now occasions when I won’t wear certain watches in London, but happily wear them mountain or coastal walking.

If “high days” means events like a family gathering, there is a fair chance that I will wear a Reverso. I certainly don’t do any of the social media type hashtag stuff #Flieger Friday etc.

I do record what watch I wear as main watch of the day, but not as a means of assisting with rotation.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

No rhyme, no reason other than whim or mood for me. I wear t-shirts and jeans much of the time and I prefer dressier watches generally. I might wear one for a week straight, though I often pick a different one from the day prior. I have about two dozen to choose among for a given day.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Mostly it's a daily change here with the notable exception being following the arrival of a new watch I'll wear it for up to a week by way of "getting to know you" and the willingness with which I carry this off is a first indication of strength of feeling and likely attachment. :oops: :lol:

Selection happens in the evenings usually after washing up the evening meal things. This is a carry over from needing the watch to be set and running ready for a day at work so I'll set the date/day/time and wear it during the evening for little ritual wrist flicks.

Making the choice for tomorrow roughly follows a rule of thumb: CW watch one day, something else the next day. During the warm summer weather watches on bracelets have had more wear than watches on straps which has been to the detriment of my two C60 MkIII's and my C63.

This has been a summer of, ahem, AliExpress and Chinese homage/pastiches so they've tended to form an alternating day group all of their own. You can mock me on these or pour scorn but frankly with Seiko NH35 movements mostly and enough WR to get me through the shower these watches are reliable enough and interesting enough to look at to meet my needs for being around the home. (Maybe there's another thread here....)

Some of my Omegas and Brellums are rather too precious to me to risk the hurly burly of a day that might include all kinds of domestic chore so they tend to sit awaiting the return of special treats like going out for a meal, seeing friends and so on.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

tikkathree wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:54 am little ritual wrist flicks.
Love it! :D
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:16 am
tikkathree wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:54 am little ritual wrist flicks.
Love it! :D
Oh stop it nurse! :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:

There's a skill involved in doing this and not disturbing the person dozing gently with their head on my left shoulder. Why do I even risk doing it? well it's the pinnacle of what constitutes living dangerously these days :lol: :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Speedmaster normally mon-thur, smp Friday and the Bretling as a weekend basher. I then sometimes swap to my vintage chrono in the evenings. Havnt had much need for the GS or vintage seiko in the past 18 months.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.