Not a replica, not a copy, not a homage, not generic?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Not a replica, not a copy, not a homage, not generic?

Post by A1soknownas »

Although on the higher end of reasonably priced, there are some brands that seem to have a sufficiently different design identity to be deemed less generic.

I'm thinking Zodiac with the super sea wolf, Doxa for the use of colour and Rado with their use of ceramics etc.

Other much higher end brands are different but they have both the funds to invest in R&D and an established position in the market already, meaning less risk.

I feel that there is greater potential for difference in what would be considered women's watches (where they still exist) - just look at Bvlgari for example but that is because traditionally they could be seen as jewellery.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I think that so many "generic" watches on the market gives the push to those who can to develop in-house movements eg SH21 gives CW an inherent ability to do be different from the vast majority, albeit at a price.

After all, let's not forget how the brands who are being copied err "homaged" mostly got to lead the field in the first place.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

FWIW, I think Halios does a pretty good job in general of not really being any of those categories without drifting into the "whacky" category.

i mean, technically there's very little that's not whacky that doesn't carry some elements of any other watch. but you could say that about music in a lot of ways, too.
the "g" is for Greg...
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by sinner777 »

Hamtun Neon I got few days ago is no where near any category.