Watches that will satisfy you into old age

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Watches that will satisfy you into old age

Post by Richard D »

‘Your favourite dials’, promoted me to think about my favourite watches in my collection. I’ve kept the list down to just five and not have more than one from any one brand. Not an easy task but here goes.

Heuer Monaco LE Calibre 11
Omega Railmaster Calibre 3205
Christopher Ward C900 SP
Rolex Submariner No Date 114060
TRIBUS My Dog Sighs TRI-06 LE

I guess if push came to push these five would satisfy me into old age. What would satisfy you?
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Watches that will satisfy you into old age

Post by tikkathree »

My answer rather depends on how you determine "old age": I'm either looking at the collection as it stands today OR I'm thinking forward.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

tikkathree wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:17 pm My answer rather depends on how you determine "old age": I'm either looking at the collection as it stands today OR I'm thinking forward.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now or into the future it matters not. The question is what will satisfy or maybe never.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

This is easy for me, my mk1 C65 Trident Vintage. The design is simple, elegant, dare I say classic. It will never look dated and will never look inappropriate for my wrist regardless of my age. It will satisfy me well into old age.
Drew
JeremyS
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by JeremyS »

I would second the Rolex no-date Sub, which in my case is the 114060. The changes have been slow, and incremental for the most part. It's a reasonable size at 40mm. I would also put the Omega Speedmaster Pro in the same category.

Although I don't own one, I think most of the Cartier Tanks (Americaine, for example) are going to look good. They look classy now, and the case size isn't so overpowering as one ages and shrinks-down a bit. In the same vein, the Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso is pretty timeless and a modest size.

In general, modest-sized watches are going to look pretty good as one ages. So, 36mm Rolex DateJust, smaller sport watches, etc. I also think precious metal looks better on older men--either solid or two tone.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

I keep thinking about this. Favourite watches? Well there are watches on my wish list but until I've spent time with them I can't know how enduring they'll be for me and whether there'll be any feeling beyond a lust for something I don't have.

That means I'm looking at watches I own right now so here's my list and maybe I'll add a photo later.

CW C60 Trident Mk1 black dial GMT. I'd have thought the C60 Trident Mk1 chronometer would have been on the list but I've been wearing the GMT this week: it's the same look and feel but the extra functionality just pushes ahead. I like too that the GMT hand isn't a big flash feature.

Brellum Duobox. I pretty much don't care whether it's the white dial limited edition Power Reserve or my brown dial gold "retirement" watch but this is my fave dressy chrono.

Omega Seamaster SMP. One heck of a watch for me due to the work that's gone into shaping and polishing the lugs and case. On dial alone I might have chosen a teak dialled Aqua Terra but I just feel that the SMP case has it.

CW C65 Anthropocene. What a watch. No explanation necessary. Perfection.

This leaves me looking at everything else I've got and having to select one favourite from among many. Hmm. Let's think...... got it!

Seiko Velatura Yachting Timer. Definitely a bit of a curve ball here because it's quartz powered. The Velatura case was a typically bold statement from Seiko and is not so much a thing of great beauty but more a breakaway from the essentially circular cases of yore. The Velatura range included many functionality options including a direct drive/kinetic watch, a plainer GMT watch, a BIG DATE version and more but the one on my list is the Yachting Timer for taking the swiss-army knife multifunctionality concept and packing it into a watch. Time, second time zone, date, daily alarm, chronograph, timer and 5, 6 and 10 minute regatta start countdown functions, 200M WR. Such is my affection for this model that for years I've owned the three variants of the carbon weave dial - black dial, white dial and titanium cased black dial. I very rarely wear any of them but I look at them a lot.

UPDATE: here's my line up
20210807_092246.jpg
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

What will I want from a watch in old age?

Well being in my late 40’s, I’m already starting to notice my eyesight getting worse. While I generally wear glasses to correct this, I don’t in bed. The early hours of the morning when I want to know the time are where a watch really lets me know if I can live with it as an only watch forever. To me, for a watch to satisfy me into old age, it has to be legible as the first and main real criteria.

So looking at my current collection, I only really have two watches that I can comfortably read at a glance, in low light, without my glasses. These are my two IWC watches, the aquatimer and the MKXVIII.

I also use the timing function on my watches all the time to measure elapsed car parking or cooking times. So a chrono or timing bezel is a must on a one watch. However all my current watches don’t tick every box of legibility and functionality. Only the aquatimer currently does this.

I will still be satisfied with my El Primero but it does have some limitations. That and my pilot watch could be my only two i’ll need into old age. The Aquatimer does everything, but will I want a heavy chunky diver in my 80’s? Probably not.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

No idea.

I'll work it out when I get there.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

For a everyday legible beater thats not too bulky and yet really enjoyable to look at, id go with my Mk1 Traska Freediver. Its one id never sell.

Although ive not yet taken delivery yet, a certain Zero West has to be in there on looks and build quality. Its one ill never get bored of looking at.

I would probably add my Trident "Beast" to the mix as well. Although its a big rascal, it feels just perfect on the wrist

Im in my mid 40's so this list will change 100 times+, ive absolutely no doubt
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

Tudor Black Bay and Tag Link Chronograph (my first “nice” watch)
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
CW C60 Trident 600 Pro GMT
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

As I'm already in my old age then the watch that will stay regularly on my left wrist will be:

- Rolex Submariner 114060

The remainder of my collection will stay with me, some will get a bit of wrist time, and all will be passed on to my two sons.

I may add one to the collection that would make the above list if I ever manage to get my hands on one! - PP Nautilus.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
sjedwardz
Junior
Junior

Post by sjedwardz »

For me it’s this.

Looks great with jeans and a t shirt or a smart suit or tuxedo.

It’s 53 years old the same as me so has sentimental value. A timeless classic that will still look good and work in another 50 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

I am looking at my collection in a different way and potential purchases in the same way.
High contrast dials.
With eyesight getting worse watches with dates are a waste.

Rolex non date sub & explorer 1 fit well into that category.