The Olympics

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

The Olympics

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I didn’t want to hijack the cycling thread, so I just thought I’d post something more general on the Olympics.

Any highs and lows for your country and/or your favourite sport so far?

I’ve enjoyed watching the GB boys in the pool – some great performances there! Felt sorry for some of the rowers – all a bit Old Testament – someone must have told the GB team to “come forth”.

So good to see Fiji winning the Sevens – they are always so entertaining.

I tend to switch on a lot more during Week Two when the athletics kicks in.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: The Olympics

Post by nbg »

I always enjoy watching the Olympic Games, but have found the time difference annoying. By the time I watch something I already know the result.

My aim for week two is turn off phone alerts, don’t listen to news updates on the radio or TV and just stick to watching what I am interested in on iPlayer, before I have heard the result elsewhere.

However I am not sure how successful that is likely to be. As I recall Terry and Bob found it difficult. :)

Looking forward to the athletics and Sport Climbing.

Would have enjoyed the swimming and Rowing, had I not already know the results.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I’ve enjoyed the bits i’ve been able to see, in particular the off road cycling and the diving, although the diving this morning seemed to be error strewn. It did bring home to me how those tiny margins make a massive difference at elite level. Missing the rowing bronze by 1/1000th of a second must be heart breaking. A slight over rotation when diving can lead to a catastrophic belly-flop!

As an aside, someone pointed out that BBC can only show two live events. That’s shocking and really limits people’s access to the breadth of sports covered in the Olympics. It’s supposed to be the world’s biggest sporting event and an inspiration to the world’s population, but that can’t happen so easily when we can only access limited events on free to air tv.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

nbg wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:23 pm My aim for week two is turn off phone alerts, don’t listen to news updates on the radio or TV and just stick to watching what I am interested in on iPlayer, before I have heard the result elsewhere.

However I am not sure how successful that is likely to be. As I recall Terry and Bob found it difficult. :)
England F...

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Amor Vincit Omnia

I must confess that I am not a great fan of what I call judging sports. I like sports where the winner is determined by who does something faster, higher, further, more times than the opposition, as opposed to doing it more prettily.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I never thought I needed a GMT but I could use one right now.
I'm enjoying the Swimming, boxing, diving and gymnastics.
But I too get frustrated, as it's so difficult to avoid spoilers before coming home to watch the highlights.
Even the bus stops have video on them now, showing GB athletes achievements.

The only thing I take issue with is that they feel the need to cut down, relatively short finals, into even shorter edits.
Surely it's not too much to ask to see full highlights of a 12 min match/race/routine.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I watched some table tennis last night. Flipping amazing! The tiny light-as-a-feather ball and a 70kg bloke just don’t belong together in the same scale of things. When I think about the mechanics of me, how long it takes me to react, then watch these guys ping this tiny feathery thing around the place with precision , I’m blown away. Apparently they can’t have the AC on during the competition because it blows the balls around! :shock: :clap:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

^^^Then they should wear tighter shorts !
Sorry couldn't resist.

I joined table tennis club a few years back, I thought I was not a bad player, but I soon got found out.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

magicman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:24 pm ^^^Then they should wear tighter shorts !
:lol: :lol:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ Good job it wasn’t badminton.
Steve

richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Great quote from one of the sailing team explaining the secret of their success. Apparently it's down to going fast and going the right way.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

The highlight of the summer Olympics for me is team handball. I think it’s the greatest sport most Americans have never heard of! I love it! It’s as if basketball and soccer had a baby!

The time difference is challenging, and the scope of the coverage (three channels here in the states, plus streaming options) is overwhelming, too. And i just cant get on with the overwhelming number of sports now included. Maybe I should post that comment in the Curmudgeons Corner.

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:56 pm I must confess that I am not a great fan of what I call judging sports. I like sports where the winner is determined by who does something faster, higher, further, more times than the opposition, as opposed to doing it more prettily.
At the risk of offending people, I’ve become increasingly convinced that if it’s judged, it’s not a sport. Athletic competition for sure, but not a sport.
Drew
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

I've particularly enjoyed the Rugby 7s, canoeing, basketball 3x3 and (as ever given Mrs jtc's sport of choice) hockey.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

magicman wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:13 pm Even the bus stops have video on them now, showing GB athletes achievements.
Posh bus stops where you live - the ones round hear are lucky to have any glass left in em! Putting screens in them would be just a little stupid! :lol:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Sad to say, I've not watched any of the coverage.

OK, I've picked up some of the results on the Radio News or in my daily Newspaper (yes, I get the i delivered), but I'm not a great one for watching TV during the day and in the evening I've been on The Hundred.

Overall though, I get the impression that Team GB are doing reasonably well.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England