The Olympics

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: The Olympics

Post by TigerChris »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:21 pm Sad to say, I've not watched any of the coverage.

OK, I've picked up some of the results on the Radio News or in my daily Newspaper (yes, I get the i delivered), but I'm not a great one for watching TV during the day and in the evening I've been on The Hundred.

Overall though, I get the impression that Team GB are doing reasonably well.

Guy
Slightly off topic, Guy, but you mentioned the hundred - what do you think of the new on screen graphics? I think they’re terrible!

Back on topic, I’ve been catching a couple of hours live from midnight till 2am ish most nights. The lass in the triathlon the other night was so unlucky with the puncture - did superb to drag back for silver, shows real character and mental toughness to do that.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

TigerChris wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:29 pm Slightly off topic, Guy, but you mentioned the hundred - what do you think of the new on screen graphics? I think they’re terrible!
All a bit lairy.

Makes me think of 1980s/90s bubblegum and pop corn (especially as I'm watching in UHD on a big OLED screen TV).

All rather in yer face.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:33 pm
TigerChris wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:29 pm Slightly off topic, Guy, but you mentioned the hundred - what do you think of the new on screen graphics? I think they’re terrible!
All a bit lairy.

Makes me think of 1980s/90s bubblegum and pop corn (especially as I'm watching in UHD on a big OLED screen TV).

All rather in yer face.

Guy
My thoughts exactly, glad it’s not just me. Think they got hold of an old ZX Spectrum to do them on!
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Graphic aside, there's a lot that is good about The Hundred. I like the 5 + 5 ball 'overs'. Overseas players add spice. Same time each evening; plus a few other bits.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

I’ve become increasingly convinced that if it’s judged, it’s not a sport
I've long held the view that if there isn't objective criteria/criterion for determining the winner then it's neither a sport nor a game. I get that there is a lot of skill in some of the events, but Lace making is very skilled and I don't think it's a sport - yet!
I don't watch sport anyway, but there seem to be too many events in the Olympics that are there to appeal to the 'yoof' rather than the pursuit of sporting excellence (I know, they can be both). However this may be a minority view so if anyone is offended then I'll just head over to 'Curmudgeons corner' ...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

exHowfener wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:40 pmthere seem to be too many events in the Olympics that are there to appeal to the 'yoof' rather than the pursuit of sporting excellence (I know, they can be both). However this may be a minority view so if anyone is offended then I'll just head over to 'Curmudgeons corner' ...
Bang on there! I was only saying the same to our lass the other day - 3 on 3 basketball? Skateboarding? Not a chance on earth are they competitive sports, never mind Olympic sports. Just created by the do gooder minority to try and get people who are cr@p at sports a chance to represent their country. It devalues the Olympics and is an insult to the proper athletes who compete. Give it time and they’ll be medals for all places to celebrate ‘taking part’ so as not to offend anyone!

Maybe I should join you in curmudgeons corner :lol: :lol:
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Loving some of these posts, I do get the point about sports that are 'judged but they can be a fantastic watch all the same. I do generally prefer a sport where someone is faster, higher, scores more points etc.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

^^^Boxing is judged, but I think they are elite athletes, and it's definitely sport.
I'm sure there are other examples.
I agree some of the events are a bit naff, but you can't say the Divers and Gymnasts shouldn't be there.
I saw some fatties shooting today, there definitely not athletes, but I think that also has it's place at the games.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

magicman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:24 am ^^^Boxing is judged, but I think they are elite athletes, and it's definitely sport.
Boxing is a good example of a grey area. Ideally, there will be a knock-out or a TKO. At least the judging isn't necessarily for artistic value or how well executed a move is!
Drew
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I meant to add, Golf at the Olympics just doesn't feel right to me.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I watched the women's skateboarding the other night (qualifying) with faint disbelief. This American women rocked up, and she was just awful. You have to ask how she was able to win through the American trials.

The commentators were not critical although she didn't attempt one trick and came last by a long way in the first round.

Anyway I then saw a load of criticism directed against the BBC commentators because apparently this person identified as them/they and the BBC had the nerve to not call her by her preferred pronouns
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I have to disagree with some of the comments made in this thread about sports that are judged and appeal to the so called ‘yoof’. My daughter trained for 5 years to gain a place in the London 2012 Olympic GB cheerleading team, at the time an Olympic exhibition sport. The level of athleticism and skill is on par with any of the gymnastics disciplines. What makes it even more exciting is both men a women compete on equally terms. Hopefully cheerleading will be included in the 2024 Paris Olympic Games.

This link will give the critics a better understanding: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... 235083.amp
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

To suggest that new sports added to the Olympics aren't "sports" simply because they are new and intended for a youth audience is nothing short of ridiculous. I'd challenge anyone here to play a game of 3 on 3 against an elite level team and tell me it's not a sport. There are a lot of other Olympic "sports" that could be removed before 3 on 3 and skateboarding. Shooting? Dressage? Rhythmic Gymnastics? I'm not in a position to say that none of them belong in the Olympics, but I don't personally think they belong. Shooting is a game of skill, not unlike darts or chess. It's not a sport. Dressage and Rhythmic Gymnastics are artistic endeavours, not sports (in my opinion). Breakdancing is being added in 2024. Much like the above I don't think it belongs. While it is a physical endeavour, it's artistic, not sport.

As far as watching the games, we have been fortunate that CBC (Canada's BBC) has a very robust online portal that allows you to see most of the sports live or in replay. The only thing I've been really disappointed in so far is surfing. It is not a TV friendly sport. Watching 2 surfers bob about in the surf for 15 minutes waiting for the right wave does not make for good TV. Definitely better as a highlight reel event unless you are a serious surfing fan.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Lavaine wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:19 am Definitely better as a highlight reel event unless you are a serious surfing fan.
An interesting point, and it sounds as though you get more free to air coverage in Canada and we are getting in the UK.

When I made that comment about enjoying so-called judging sports rather less, I certainly wasn’t positing any arguments as to which sports should or should not be included in the Olympic Canon. As Chris hints above, every sport has its fanatical adherents, and in all cases they have to put in a lot of time and effort to attain the levels they do, whether it’s sprinting or skateboarding, swimming or surfing and so on. I’m just watching a British girl doing trampolining; what she does looks amazing even if I don’t really understand it, and her face was a picture when she did what the commentators reckoned was a brilliant routine. [Edit, she got bronze]

As spectator sports go, I do enjoy the athletics, the cycling, the swimming, the rowing and canoeing, and quite a few others. The cycling thread would seem to suggest that some of our members are quite deeply into it as opposed to simply enjoying watching it. Equally we have long running threads on motor racing, which I can totally understand the attraction of but I’ve never really got into. I love watching golf, and have been very disappointed at the diminishing free to air coverage of the majors (I only really watch television if there is some good sport on, and I have no intention of subscribing to this, that and the other package - skinflint!). And I’m delighted to be taking up golf once again.

I used to enjoy playing tennis, badminton and squash socially – I was never very good – but I’ve never really enjoyed watching them.

I guess I was brought up on the major team ball games, like so many people in Britain. Football, rugby, cricket and hockey were always my thing. But they have their own continental and world Championships (as we have seen very recently) which are massive sporting events in their own right, so I think it’s good that other sports take more of a centre-stage position at multisports competitions like the Olympics.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Interesting to hear the different views on what does and does not constitute being a sport or endeavour worthy of being in the Olympics.

What do forumites think of something like climbing being included for the first time?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK