The Olympics

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: The Olympics

Post by jkbarnes »

nbg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:11 am I have always been impressed by how easy they make it look.
I find that’s true of just about anyone who’s an expert in something, and it’s one of the things I love about the notion of expertise. I love watching masters of their craft, whether it’s a sport or something else, practice their craft. I’ve decided there’s an inverse relationship between how easy an athlete makes something and how easy it actually ease.
Drew
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Some contrasting comments about the Olympics and what constitutes a sport!

As a celebration of sport with participants from across the world, there are bound to be events which are less popular to some but surely they all have a right to be respected as a sport? Or at least the dedication and skill of the athlete does. Even skateboarding. I'd say it has a greater requirement for a mix of athletic ability and skill in comparison with well established events such as Shooting or Archery.

Where a sport does not have an obvious winner like running the fastest or jumping the furthest and needs to be judged, perhaps that goes some way to show the complexity and technical ability required to participate as it needs someone with expertise to analyse and score it.

Diving as an example clearly requires dedication, athletic ability and skill and whilst we can all assess how much of a splash they make it needs someone with knowledge to analyse the complexity of the dive, and is a sport.

The definition of sport can be found online if anyone is unsure as to what to class as a sport or not :kopfwand:!
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

To me, any sport for which the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the sport, then it shouldn’t be included.

I’m thinking the likes of football where the World Cup would be more important, the golf where a major victory would rank above an Olympic gold, and tennis where most player would prefer to win a grand slam. We could also include basketball and for the Winter Olympics, possibly ice hockey. Although American team sports don’t seem to have an international event to compare to football.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I read on a lighthearted sports page on Facebook, that for many Olympic events, there should be a mandatory requirement for a normal person to compete to show everyone just how good these people are. Imagine me running against Usain Bolt in Beijing, I’d still be going now.

Several years ago i ran a 10k in Manchester which was a multi lap race. The elite Kenyan team sent some runners as a warm up to some championships taking place a week or so later. On my second lap I was overtaken by about 10 Kenyan runners who went past me like I was standing still. It really was quite unbelievable how fast they were going and I doubt I could have run 100m as fast as they were running 10k
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A1soknownas wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:42 pm Some contrasting comments about the Olympics and what constitutes a sport!
The definition of sport can be found online if anyone is unsure as to what to class as a sport or not :kopfwand:!
As the one who unwittingly kicked off this debate, I should like to bring up my original post. It was never my intention to discuss whether certain sports should actually be regarded as sports or not. I was merely saying that I prefer sports with an absolute criterion or goalscoring element (quantitative scoring) as opposed to those that require judging (qualitative scoring). However, as we saw in a hockey match this afternoon judges, referees, umpires, call them what you will, are only human.
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:56 pm I must confess that I am not a great fan of what I call judging sports. I like sports where the winner is determined by who does something faster, higher, further, more times than the opposition, as opposed to doing it more prettily.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:46 pm As the one who unwittingly kicked off this debate, I should like to bring up my original post. It was never my intention to discuss whether certain sports should actually be regarded as sports or not. I was merely saying that I prefer sports with an absolute criterion or goalscoring element (quantitative scoring) as opposed to those that require judging (qualitative scoring). However, as we saw in a hockey match this afternoon judges, referees, umpires, call them what you will, are only human.
Ha, I wasn't specifically referring to your comments :thumbup:. I do find your opinions measured and considered (although mine may not be) so I have no objection to them. It was just the general vibe of some of the disrespect or maybe under appreciation of some activities and the hard work involved of those participating as less deserved than others to compete on such a stage.

Thank you for kicking off the debate, it is welcome to see the wide range of views and challenging of opinions...as long as it doesn't evolve like the 'Exclusive CW Forum Prototype Sale thread'.

Maybe, CW Sales scalping can be an Olympic sport? It takes dedication, speed and skill and also provides entertainment for others :lol:
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Well, I just got around to watching the BMX I recorded yesterday, and it was terrific. However, I thought it was a shame that the British guy seemed to want to spoil the fun for the British girl.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:32 pm To me, any sport for which the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the sport, then it shouldn’t be included.
What an intriguing idea! I think this makes a lot of sense in some ways.

One thing I think about with some of the new sports being added is if inclusion in the Olympics is regarding as validation for the sport. To be in the Olympics, the pinnacle of athletic competition, means the sport has “arrived,” so to speak.
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:48 pm
iain wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:32 pm To me, any sport for which the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the sport, then it shouldn’t be included.
What an intriguing idea! I think this makes a lot of sense in some ways.

One thing I think about with some of the new sports being added is if inclusion in the Olympics is regarding as validation for the sport. To be in the Olympics, the pinnacle of athletic competition, means the sport has “arrived,” so to speak.
Yes, like golf, tennis, football (soccer) to name 3 that shouldn't be in the Olympics
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:48 pm One thing I think about with some of the new sports being added is if inclusion in the Olympics is regarding as validation for the sport. To be in the Olympics, the pinnacle of athletic competition, means the sport has “arrived,” so to speak.
I’d agree with you. I really don’t mind any number of the more niche sports being included as they all deserve their place.

I’m sure Lionel Messi will be remembered for his skill and ability as well as his champions league and La Liga success with Barcelona. For Argentina he won the Copa America and went to a World Cup final. No one will remember he won Olympic gold medal. This is why the Olympics should only be about amateurs competing at the highest level.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I’m thinking the likes of football where the World Cup would be more important, the golf where a major victory would rank above an Olympic gold, and tennis where most player would prefer to win a grand slam. We could also include basketball and for the Winter Olympics, possibly ice hockey. Although American team sports don’t seem to have an international event to compare to football.
I think you are on the right track, but going in the wrong direction. As I see it the problem isn't that the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of the sport, it's that the Olympics are no longer the pinnacle of AMATEUR sport. The Olympics were ruined when they became just another competition in the pro season for (insert sport here). Winning gold in football, basketball, hockey, tennis or road cycling would still be the achievement of a lifetime for an amateur athlete.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Lavaine wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:07 pm …it's that the Olympics are no longer the pinnacle of AMATEUR sport.
That’s a good point. Some of the sports I’ve most recently enjoyed watching in both the summer and Winter Olympics are the ones where the sport IS NOT the competitor’s main gig. I like the sports where the athlete has a day job!
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Triathlon relay. Well that was great. They said it was about 1 hr 30 mins. Seemed much shorter than that. That's a great format.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Loved that Triathlon relay - what a race. Agree with JAFO, didn’t seem 1hr 30mins - I haven’t moved watching it!
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Lavaine wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:07 pm I think you are on the right track, but going in the wrong direction. As I see it the problem isn't that the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of the sport, it's that the Olympics are no longer the pinnacle of AMATEUR sport. The Olympics were ruined when they became just another competition in the pro season for (insert sport here). Winning gold in football, basketball, hockey, tennis or road cycling would still be the achievement of a lifetime for an amateur athlete.
Does it come down to the governing bodies for each sport then to rule on who is allowed to enter the Olympics? Boxing has managed to retain the Olympic spirit, which is quite remarkable considering how the professional side seems to be run.

Football has made a half hearted attempt with the ruling that it should be junior teams with only one or two senior players allowed.

What tennis and golf are doing though is definitely not cricket. The Olympics is just another professional tournament here.