Less is more - all bases covered - well maybe!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Less is more - all bases covered - well maybe!

Post by nbg »

I am fortunate to have some nice watches, covering a few brands. Although it is fair to say that my wearing habits have been quite consistent over the past few years.

I don’t do rotation in the traditional manner and it doesn’t bother me if I don’t wear a best or favourite watch for months. I tend to pick typically 6-8 of my better/favourite watches to wear as the mood dictates over 4-6 weeks. These are the only better/favourite watches available to wear during the period. In any given period I will also wear a few others that are always available to wear.

Sometimes all of the 6-8 get worn, other times not. At the end of the period I generally switch most around and pick some different watches for the next period. In that way I tend not to get bored, wearing the same watches and it can seem like picking up a new watch again if it hasn’t been worn for months on end.

Every now and again I think of selling a combination of the watches that I very rarely wear, together with a couple of the better ones, (or even many of the better and buy something exotic). However at the moment nothing really leaps out at me to buy and I enjoy wearing my robust SS sports watches the majority of the time.

Last weekend I looked at the better/favourite group that I picked early June and thought “I can’t be bothered to go to the effort of switching them over, I will stick with this lot for at least another 4-6 weeks”.

It then struck me that the current group of better/favourite, with the addition of a couple from the always available “#covered all bases” as far as my requirements are concerned. Maybe…
1D565ECA-A09A-4F8D-986B-54001F8F572B.jpeg
A variety of brands, styles, complications, dial colours. Albeit it doesn’t include the watch I would pick, if I was genuinely restricted to only wearing one watch, without exception, for months on end.

Maybe less is more.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Re: Less is more - all bases covered - well maybe!

Post by missF »

^^^
I think that any subset of your collection would be swell! :D
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

That is a very good selection indeed, Neil. Even for a non-Tudor person like myself. :wink:

The two Reversos (Reversi?) are just lovely!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

Fantastic collection Neil, and I completely concur with Steve regarding the JLCs ( I saw him struggling with the plural of reverso so cheated )

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Such a great selection.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^
I'm not sure of the plural form for a Reverso, but I believe that act of flipping your wear between two such watches is referred to as 'Reversing'. :lol: :lol:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Hmm, potato -> potatoes; tomato -> tomatoes; ergo Reverso -> Reversoes :D Quick, trademark it!
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

blooming corkers, all of them
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

That's one terrific collection!!..s/b a lofty inspiration for many of us..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

Thank you lady and gents. :thumbup:

It just struck me that, for me, this particular group from the collection did really cover all situations.

I do accept that the set doesn’t include an elegant black tie watch, if one is bothered by such things.

It also happens to include many that for reasons of being connected to life events will never be sold.

Neil
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ I’m perfectly happy these days to avoid most things that require black tie, or even lounge suit. However, in the event I would not hesitate to strap on my Cartier Tank and I’m sure that your Reverso on bracelet could fulfil exactly the same function.

I have been guilty of overthinking these things in the past, but not anymore.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

If you owned no others that is still one hell of a collection Neil! Would be hard to pick a favourite from them but I love the warm tones and bezel of the gmt so probably that. I reckon you wouldn't get chucked out of a black tie event with a gold reverso on :lol:
As for the one watch not there you are referring to....explorer?

PS My version of less is more is somewhat..er..less!
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

^^^ Yep the Explorer.

It also helps that in true James Bond style, it is also the watch that I have ended up wearing the last couple of times that I wore black tie!

I agree with Steve about not overthinking these things. Of the ones in the pic, I would probably go with the Reverso on bracelet with black tie.

“But you need a restrained elegant simple two hander on black alligator for such events”.

No I really don’t! :)

Neil
TZ-UK
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

A lovely selection there Neil....out of the even larger great collection that you have.

I must say I didn't recall seeing the CHNR before, one day I may still get a TT Rolex.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:15 pm A lovely selection there Neil....out of the even larger great collection that you have.

I must say I didn't recall seeing the CHNR before, one day I may still get a TT Rolex.
Whilst I never got around to posting a pic, I think I showed you one a couple of years ago…

IIRC I tried on this at the same time. :)
2450290D-EEF1-4ED2-8590-6B61BD8CF98C.jpeg
I bought it when first released in 2018. My most worn watch since then.

As I am easily offended, I thought it best not to post a pic at the time, given the number of forumites who don’t like TT watches! :D

Without wishing to drift slightly off topic, I don’t think I will buy another Rolex. Too much Instagram hype. Such a shame as mechanically and from an ownership point of view easily the best overall watches I have owned.

Just glad I avoided the emperors new clothes holy trinity sports watches, as that is even more ridiculous. :silent:

I think I am done with buying expensive watches (from mainstream brands). :(

Neil
TZ-UK