Less is more - all bases covered - well maybe!

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Re: Less is more - all bases covered - well maybe!

Post by missF »

nbg wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:53 pm
Without wishing to drift slightly off topic, I don’t think I will buy another Rolex. Too much Instagram hype. Such a shame as mechanically and from an ownership point of view easily the best overall watches I have owned.

Just glad I avoided the emperors new clothes holy trinity sports watches, as that is even more ridiculous. :silent:

I think I am done with buying expensive watches (from mainstream brands). :(
This sounds like an exciting switch in tactics / preferences (though I imagine these ideas may simmer for a long time before emerging to the world). Looking forward to seeing where you go next! :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Without wishing to drift slightly off topic, I don’t think I will buy another Rolex. Too much Instagram hype. Such a shame as mechanically and from an ownership point of view easily the best overall watches I have owned.

I think I am done with buying expensive watches (from mainstream brands). :(
Neil
It's a shame that social media, in this case Instagram, has taken the gloss off of so many different areas of life for so many different people. It has shone a very bright light in to every corner of life and, in doing so, has taken away much of what was once held special. Travel is one of the biggest casualties I can think of. I can remember my first exploits of traveling overseas in the mid eighties. Greek islands and inter railing around Europe with a back pack, a few traveller's cheques and my wits. There are no hidden corners of the globe anymore; there is nowhere you can hope to go where someone hasn't got their arm outstretched, phone in hand, head tipped at a jaunty angle and forcing a slightly contrived wooden smile.

Sometimes it's great to have a change in direction. If you're done with expensive watches from mainstream brands you may be led to a different corner, or down a different road where, with a bit of luck, there won't be someone with their arm outstretched, phone in hand...

BTW... That's a hell of a quiver of watches, I still pop back to look at them. :D

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:15 pm A lovely selection there Neil....out of the even larger great collection that you have.

I must say I didn't recall seeing the CHNR before, one day I may still get a TT Rolex.
Whilst I never got around to posting a pic, I think I showed you one a couple of years ago…

IIRC I tried on this at the same time. :)
2450290D-EEF1-4ED2-8590-6B61BD8CF98C.jpeg
I bought it when first released in 2018. My most worn watch since then.

As I am easily offended, I thought it best not to post a pic at the time, given the number of forumites who don’t like TT watches! :D

Neil
Neil, now you say it I do recall you showed me an interesting photo of some of your watches. My Panerai does look good on you, maybe you should consider one :)

I get what your are saying about Rolex and that does put me off them too (glad I got my sub in 2017 when it wasn't quite so bad) although a couple of the TT ones do appeal...maybe one day.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Very interesting what this thread brings up, Neil.
As Des points out, the world at large seems to want to take the specialness out of things that others do and enjoy, and it's a crying shame.
What we see here is your own journey with a special interest that has brought great joy and appreciation with it. And your own take on how that plays out for you.
A lots of folk here will share that and have some identification with it.
It's quite the cohort in that image any way you slice it and I trust you enjoy for some time in good health no matter which way it might go forward.

Nothing means anything to nobodies and special things mean something to somebodies.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.