Cycling (Olympics and non Olympics)

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Cycling (Olympics and non Olympics)

Post by angusbon »

JAFO wrote:The press reporting would have you think Tom Pidcock was new to cycling, and the result was a complete surprise. I thought he had a favourite's chance. For me the section (end of lap 4 or 5, I think) where he slowed and dropped back to third through the feeding zone to have a look at the 2 swiss riders, before overtaking them again on the first hill, and then powering on was a clear sign he was the strongest. That's the sort of manoeuvre you see from the greatest road cyclists.

He made a much-heralded instant smash in his first season on the world tour already, placing highly in Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne, and the Strade Bianchi, then winning the Brabantse Pijl from Wout van Aert, and narrowly losing a photo finish for the Amstel Gold Race to van Aert. van Aert wowed in the just finished Tour de France.

Pidcock is right up there with van Aert, Remco Evenepoel, and van der Poel as potential Tour De France winners, although Tadej Pogacar, Egan Bernal and others may have have something to say about that. I imagine he would have gone close in the road race that Carapaz won on Saturday. He said he wanted to do the road rave and the MTB next time.
I agree he has the potential to be up there with the big boys.... Cycling has changed with Pogacar, Roglic etc.
Regarding the women's race, the Dutch team were so powerful no other team were prepared to help them chase down the breakaway and subsequently unable to bring them back on their own.
Regarding radios, they would still be aware of the time gap through other means

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

sjedwardz
Junior
Junior

Post by sjedwardz »

angusbon wrote:
JAFO wrote:The press reporting would have you think Tom Pidcock was new to cycling, and the result was a complete surprise. I thought he had a favourite's chance. For me the section (end of lap 4 or 5, I think) where he slowed and dropped back to third through the feeding zone to have a look at the 2 swiss riders, before overtaking them again on the first hill, and then powering on was a clear sign he was the strongest. That's the sort of manoeuvre you see from the greatest road cyclists.

He made a much-heralded instant smash in his first season on the world tour already, placing highly in Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne, and the Strade Bianchi, then winning the Brabantse Pijl from Wout van Aert, and narrowly losing a photo finish for the Amstel Gold Race to van Aert. van Aert wowed in the just finished Tour de France.

Pidcock is right up there with van Aert, Remco Evenepoel, and van der Poel as potential Tour De France winners, although Tadej Pogacar, Egan Bernal and others may have have something to say about that. I imagine he would have gone close in the road race that Carapaz won on Saturday. He said he wanted to do the road rave and the MTB next time.
I agree he has the potential to be up there with the big boys.... Cycling has changed with Pogacar, Roglic etc.
Regarding the women's race, the Dutch team were so powerful no other team were prepared to help them chase down the breakaway and subsequently unable to bring them back on their own.
Regarding radios, they would still be aware of the time gap through other means

Agree the Dutch were scuppered because they had too strong a team. I wish they would try and stop radios for all races. Would definitely spice it up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

There was a good video review by GCN I just watched. No pictures though, for regional reasons but interesting discussion.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Time trials are on overnight. Very difficult to pick a winner. Maybe Rohan Dennis.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

My money would be on Ganna every time.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

scooter wrote:My money would be on Ganna every time.

scooter
I would put your money on Ganna every time as well Image

sjedwardz
Junior
Junior

Post by sjedwardz »

I think the course is a bit too hilly for Ganna. Maybe Van Art, although Remco is doing well at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Chapeau to Primoz

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Amazing. Roglic led at halfway and seemed to be the only one who was saving something. Also he did an extra few hundred metres as he didn't seem.to know where the finishing line was.

The eurosport commentators pointed out that the top three hadn't been heavily involved in the TdF or the road race. Roglic was in the road race, but finished well down.

I picked third. 2nd to 5th were all close, but Roglic was just different class. Maybe trying to make a point to that young whippersnapper, Tadej.