Fountain Pens

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Barryboy

Fountain Pens

Post by Barryboy »

Hi.. I know that this subject crops up from time to time but hoping that someone can give me some specific advice...

I have a TWSBI Diamond Mini Classic fountain pen that I'm very fond of and would like to get an italic nib fitted. The nib unit seems to unscrew out in one piece so would assume that a new unit would just screw in rather than remove the actual nib itself. I've done what research I can but have drawn a blank - even from "The Writing Desk" who are official TWSBI dealers. Can anyone point me in the direction of a company that might be able to help?

Thanks in advance
Rob
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: Fountain Pens

Post by welshlad »

I don't have experience of the Mini Classic, but I do of the 580 and Vac700R. Normally with TWSBI you remove and replace the whole nib section rather than the nib on its own. This makes life a lot simpler and there is less chance of damaging or misaligning the nib.

Cult Pens (no connection other than being a regular customer) sell replacement nib sections for the Diamond Mini Classic, with a choice of nib sizes, including 1.1mm stub and 1.5mm stub. See here:

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/TW27860/tw ... i-nib-unit

If you want a true italic nib, with the sharper edges, then you'd have to get a nibmeister to grind you one. If so, let me know and I'll recommend someone. Personally, I find stubs easier to use day-to-day.

Hope that helps.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

Ahh, welshlad, you beat me to it, I was also about to recommend "CultPens". A great web company to deal with and their range and knowledge is vast :thumbup:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

CW Forum to the rescue once again.

Top notch, gents.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
neiltallen
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by neiltallen »

Echo cult pens - spent a fortune with them this lockdown(s). Could also try The Hamilton Pen Company, Pure Pens, WriteHerePens to name a few more if your struggling.
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by cincfleet »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:35 pm CW Forum to the rescue once again.

Top notch, gents.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
What is it about 'Pens & Watches'? I recently spoke to a colleague at work, found ourselves discussing "Pens & Watches" :shock: :lol: :wave:
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I know, fountain pens (and inks) are even more of a rabbit hole than watches I find! :shock:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by cincfleet »

welshlad wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:27 pm I know, fountain pens (and inks) are even more of a rabbit hole than watches I find! :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
sjedwardz
Junior
Junior

Post by sjedwardz »

Well, some people (me included) appreciate the craftsmanship of a fine device. Whether that is a timepiece or a writing instrument.

I have a few fountain pens and high end Swiss watches.

If you just want to jot something down or only need to know the time then a Bic or cheap Casio or your phone will be fine.

It’s nice to treat yourself though !!

I don’t have that many fountain pens but I have splashed out of quite a few different inks. Much cheaper that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

sjedwardz wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:35 am
I have a few fountain pens and high end Swiss watches.
Welcome to the forum. As we are generally a bunch of watch fans we would love to see some pictures of the latter. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by Martin »

Cult Pens is the only weekly email I read from start to end. I did take a perverse pleasure in being the only teacher to write with a fountain pen. However, the mechanical pencil is the rabbit hole I have still to emerge from. Which is a clumsy way of mentioning a particularly entertaining book from a few years ago, How to sharpen pencils: a practical and theoretical treatise on the artisanal craft of pencil sharpening.
A very funny book that usually appeals to a male of a certain age who can and does get obsessive about gadgets and stuff. Like most people on this forum!

Oh, written by David Rees.
sjedwardz
Junior
Junior

Post by sjedwardz »

Have you tried any traditional pencils? That is another rabbit hole to go down!!

I just thought a pencil is a pencil until I tried some blackwing ones. At least they are cheap, relatively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by cincfleet »

Martin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:17 am Cult Pens is the only weekly email I read from start to end. I did take a perverse pleasure in being the only teacher to write with a fountain pen. However, the mechanical pencil is the rabbit hole I have still to emerge from. Which is a clumsy way of mentioning a particularly entertaining book from a few years ago, How to sharpen pencils: a practical and theoretical treatise on the artisanal craft of pencil sharpening.
A very funny book that usually appeals to a male of a certain age who can and does get obsessive about gadgets and stuff. Like most people on this forum!

Martin, I had been after a decent Mechanical Pencil for a while, found the perfect one on Cult Pens, their own brand Double Knock, its superb. :thumbup:
tralls
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 10

Post by tralls »

cincfleet wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:56 pm
Martin wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:17 am Cult Pens is the only weekly email I read from start to end. I did take a perverse pleasure in being the only teacher to write with a fountain pen. However, the mechanical pencil is the rabbit hole I have still to emerge from. Which is a clumsy way of mentioning a particularly entertaining book from a few years ago, How to sharpen pencils: a practical and theoretical treatise on the artisanal craft of pencil sharpening.

Martin, I had been after a decent Mechanical Pencil for a while, found the perfect one on Cult Pens, their own brand Double Knock, its superb. :thumbup:
If anybody is stateside, I have found some good deals on used pens on nibs.com.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

OK. I bit. Knowing nothing about fountain pens or mechanical pencils, I’ve just taken a wander through the Cult Pens site to see what all the fuss is about...

...Mind is BLOWN!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

A whole nother world of technical things with specs and price points (£4000 for a pen???!!!) and designs and ergonomics and rotations and opinions and reviews and forums to accompany it all!

Haha! Just brilliant!

And most special of all, there apparently exists someone who goes by the title of:
welshlad wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:04 pm nibmeister.....
:clap: Outstanding! :D
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00