Things that bothered you as a child?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: Things that bothered you as a child?

Post by kiter65 »

My mum would play a game on the bed by putting my arm over the side of the bed and pretend a crocodile would bite it off, when I was very young, I’m 55 now still can’t sleep with my arm out of the bed covers, scared for life :lol:

When the travelling funfair came to town, the big wheel, went on it once absolutely terrifying, never again :thumbdown:

My young son being devastated when he found out crispy seaweed from the Chinese wasn’t seaweed, he thought he was so grown up eating it :(
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Two public information films in the 1970s scared the life out of me. I was 6-ish and the what to do incase of Fire and one about rabies were particularly striking :shock:
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

There have a been a few mentioned already that I had forgotten about. Dr Who and Grange Hill certainly had me scared for very different reasons.

The fountain pen thread has also reminded me of another one. I remember when I was in the final year of Junior school, which is about 10-11 years old for those not familiar with the term. The teacher decided that we all had to use fountain pens and had convinced herself that we’d all love them and go on to use no other type of pen for the rest of our lives, Being left handed I was always in trouble for smudging the ink at school. While at home I was always in trouble for getting ink over almost every item on clothing. To this day I’ve never used a fountain pen since, I like a nice pen, but buy roller balls along with good quality refills. She put me off fountain pens for life.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

village wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:56 pm I started watching a new programme about school when I was nearing the end of junior school....it was called Grange Hill and I thought it was effectively a documentary.
This must have happened when I was in my early teens, because we had had a telephone installed by then. My grandmother rang one evening and said to my mother: “There has been a murder. The police have arrested Ray and Len has gone to the police station.”

I think my mother broke the world record for the half mile in getting to my grandparents’ house. Ray was my uncle and Len was a close friend of his. They also happened to be the names of two prominent characters in Coronation Street.

Now here’s another one. Did anyone else think that when their parents/grandparents were young they lived in a black-and-white world? Well, all the photos were black and white, weren’t they?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

tikkathree wrote:My mother has quite a bit to account for.

1. As an under-10 year old we'd watch green civil defence vehicles going out on exercise on Sundays. I asked her what they were about: "The Russians have got a big bomb, there'll be flash and we'll all catch fire and be dead instantly." Thanks for the comforting and careful explanation ma.

2. "Don't put your hand in the Leeds/Liverpool canal: you'll get fever and die." I think she had a theme.

3. "If you keep putting your finger up your nose you'll get a big boil up there and they'll have to lance it with a red hot needle." No mention of death though so it seemed the safer option.

Don't even get me started on all the stuff she didn't tell me. I'm still angry.
LOL
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

I don’t remember much that bothered me, but I do remember people trying to scare me out of certain behaviors, like many adults do, and that just made me do it for the heck of it. People learned to stop drawing my attention to things that would challenge me to try it.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

The only 'Dr Who' character that ever scared me was the Abominable Snowman.

Not much bothered me as a child - except: In the early stages of being at Primary school, there was work being done on the boy's toilet block (outside toilets in those days) and we were told to use the girl's toilets. For some reason, this REALLY bothered me. I've no idea why, it's not like I'd ever visited a house with more than one toilet. It bothered me so much in fact that I wouldn't use the girl's toilet at all. This was in the days of free school milk and jugs of water with school dinners. As a consequence, by the end of the school day, I was absolutely bursting. So as soon as school was let out I rushed to the school gates and relieved myself by the bushes at the entrance/exit. As the school filed past me. For some reason I thought this was less embarrassing than using the girl's toilets ...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Latin teachers.
These users thanked the author albionphoto for the post:
jkbarnes
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

albionphoto wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:43 pm Latin teachers.
Illegitimis non carborundum.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
albionphoto
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Although carborundum was first registered as trademark in 1929 :D :D
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris