My biggest watch is by far my smallest watch

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

My biggest watch is by far my smallest watch

Post by suicidal_orange »

I recently took delivery of a Zelos Hammerhead and am amused (?) at the size of it. You see I was worried that at 44mm it might be too big for my wrist but it really isn't. It has slopy sides then a bit of case visible around the bezel and of course the bezel itself, and that means the actual face sits below a crystal only measuring about 28mm. Seems obvious when you think about it but until I saw it in real life it hadn't really clicked just how small the face is, and coming from 35 and 37mm crystals on my most worn watches it looks very small!

Not sure what the point of this thread is but if anyone would understand the desire to talk about random watch related observations it would be one of you. Pics so you don't feel cheated, the flash in the second pic makes it seem like the bezel is a dust magnet and that's going to be a pain...
21-07-24.jpg
21-07-24 night.jpg
If it weren't so blessed with lume or wasn't comfortable it would have went straight back in the box, but it is so I'm going to give myself some time to adjust to it.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: My biggest watch is by far my smallest watch

Post by Thegreyman »

What you are saying makes absolute sense. There are many factors to the visual sense of size of a watch over and above case size - case shape, lug to lug length, case height. Also as you have identified, the width of any bezel, rehaut and thus size of the dial is also a critical factor.

I was discussing a Doxa diver with the owner of a watch shop last week and we agreed that the large cased diver looked much smaller due to the very small face of the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by suicidal_orange »

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy, I guess I'm just finding out why the typical 'watch collector' does a lot of buying and selling while they learn about this stuff and what works on their wrist. How small must the dial be on a 38mm diver - could be getting into needing glasses territory :lol:

When I hear Doxa I think big and orange but with a similar case shape and small dial it probably does look small. And does this mean my C65's 37mm face is actually very big given that most larger watches are divers or have massive rehauts, like G-Shocks? If so I can probably wear anything up to 50mm lug to lug, and I can't think of anything bigger I've been interested in.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

With a 48 MM lug to lug I would think that the Hammerhead would wear much like a Seiko (thinking of the Willard here). The 13 mm thickness helps too. In my experience you can't make a decision on a watch when looking at only 1 dimension. You kind of have to look at all of the dimensional aspects and how they work together.

The narrow bezels on the C65s accentuate the dial too.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

rkovars wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:12 pm The narrow bezels on the C65s accentuate the dial too.
They do. As does the narrow bezel on the Speedmaster. Personally I’m not attracted to a tiny dial sitting in the middle of some monster size case and bezel.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)