A celebration of colour

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

A celebration of colour

Post by missF »

When I think of last year, as we wrestled with the start of the pandemic, locked ourselves down to try and mitigate it as best we could, stopped hugging, the colour I think of is dark grey. It felt like a grungy, featureless time, a time of waiting rather than doing. A time of insidious stress and worry that we couldn’t really talk about because everyone was going through the same.

Second lockdown over this past winter (3rd for England) felt particularly long drawn out for me. At some point, I thought, in our own ways, we’re going to need some sort of recognition- even celebration- that we got through the winter and into spring.

Fashion stepped up. Shapes changed to recognise that Covid had shaken us out of our power suits and into our pyjamas!

Watches didn’t let us down either. I celebrate the explosion of colour in watches released this year. From the new range of bright OPs to breitling’s pastels and pistachio green. It’s a tonic to see these watches brightening up the world.

But the greatest of these (imho of course!) is the Oris cotton candy range. My first thought was (urgh, gaudy!), but I’m here to confess that I keep going back to look at them. Swap ‘gaudy’ for ‘celebratory’ and you’re close to how I feel about these watches. If I could afford one I’d own one. It would make me smile.

9177A267-4DC9-47FB-9B9B-4A0C14E518E4.jpeg
This injection of colour into the world will not be a celebration of ‘getting through’ the pandemic of course. ‘Freedom day’ should have a hollow ring to it. But for me, I got through a tough winter, and these watches have done my spirits good.

Keep safe everyone! Tell me if you’ve been tempted to add some colour to your watch collection! :D
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: A celebration of colour

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I bought an Orange Monster once! And I also had a Yellow Mako. Both now departed. I am a sucker for blue dials and have three currently. And I have two C70s, the DBR1 and the Ascari COSC.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:36 pm When I think of last year, as we wrestled with the start of the pandemic, locked ourselves down to try and mitigate it as best we could, stopped hugging, the colour I think of is dark grey. It felt like a grungy, featureless time, a time of waiting rather than doing. A time of insidious stress and worry that we couldn’t really talk about because everyone was going through the same.

Second lockdown over this past winter (3rd for England) felt particularly long drawn out for me. At some point, I thought, in our own ways, we’re going to need some sort of recognition- even celebration- that we got through the winter and into spring.

Fashion stepped up. Shapes changed to recognise that Covid had shaken us out of our power suits and into our pyjamas!

Watches didn’t let us down either. I celebrate the explosion of colour in watches released this year. From the new range of bright OPs to breitling’s pastels and pistachio green. It’s a tonic to see these watches brightening up the world.

But the greatest of these (imho of course!) is the Oris cotton candy range. My first thought was (urgh, gaudy!), but I’m here to confess that I keep going back to look at them. Swap ‘gaudy’ for ‘celebratory’ and you’re close to how I feel about these watches. If I could afford one I’d own one. It would make me smile.

9177A267-4DC9-47FB-9B9B-4A0C14E518E4.jpeg

This injection of colour into the world will not be a celebration of ‘getting through’ the pandemic of course. ‘Freedom day’ should have a hollow ring to it. But for me, I got through a tough winter, and these watches have done my spirits good.

Keep safe everyone! Tell me if you’ve been tempted to add some colour to your watch collection! :D
Oh they're decidedly nice. I'm sure that I won't succumb though.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I'm not sure about the gold casing. It would be nice to see the same dials in stainless to compare them.
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

I'm on the gaudy side of the fence...but each to their own... :D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Personally I tend to favour the classic watch dial colours: black, silver, blue, white. I like watches to have a kind of neutrality about them so I can wear them with as many different outfits as possible. If a watch's dial is, how shall we say this, too bold, I think it limits its scope for wearing it. Personally I'd rather dress in brighter clothing to lift my mood. Of course we're all different in our tastes, but these are a little 'Made in Essex' for my tastes. I felt the same way about the Rolex OP new colourways.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

I love a bit of colour, he says boldly after his last 3 acquisitions were white, white, black. These are a bit shiny/gold for me though the dial colours are nice. Prefer the Rolex OP primary and Breitling pastels. Colour in our life is all good for me.
You should see my trainers😲
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

The Oris Divers 65 will (or has already?) become a bit of a modern classic. The soft pastels work really well with the clean bronze finish, but what will it look like in 3 months time when the patina transforms the case into a dirty brown?
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

CW did a bit of colour in the early days and this was mine.

That said the Sector C80 was not about the colour but the historical connection with the RAF Ops Rooms during WWII.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

0uatiOW wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:59 pm The Oris Divers 65 will (or has already?) become a bit of a modern classic. The soft pastels work really well with the clean bronze finish, but what will it look like in 3 months time when the patina transforms the case into a dirty brown?
I think of these as I think of all bronze watches - I’m not too keen on the new sheen, and enjoy imagining how lovely they’re going to look once they’ve developed some patina and texture, and toned down a bit. I do think of these watches as being a bit of a glorious clash. I don’t think there’s much toned and matched about these watches - nothing on a colour wheel to say that these colours should go together. But that’s part of what makes me smile! :D
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

They look tolerable at the moment, but in a few months the bronze cases, combined with the pastel dials will look a bit dowdy, but not in a good way.

I have watches with yellow and orange dials, as well as the usual suspects of black, blue, green, brown, white, ivory, champagne and silver, but rarely wear the yellow or orange.

Well on reflection I rarely wear other than black, or blue dial watches (exception being a Polar Exp2). I guess that fits in with not wanting any watch I wear to be noticeable to anyone, other than me. :)

Now red? I have been tempted, but not seen it through with these two. Blingtastic, but when would I wear them…
EBCD4149-3AC4-4347-9F69-BBE665524F41.jpeg
B23F9D0B-A2B6-4094-B50D-2B15DE4B3C75.jpeg
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:36 pm . . . . . . .
I've often got a bit of colour in my collection but the recent one that comes to mind is the orange C60 Trident 316L LE that I bought as a Birthday present to myself last November

. . . .except I've recently sold it to help fund a replacement in the guise of a C65 DiveTimer

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

nbg wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:37 pm Blingtastic, but when would I wear them…
Looks like the Moser colour range has been named the ‘Mega cool’ range! Presumably with Moser’s sense of humour, nuance and irony :lol: They’re gorgeous watches. I’m sure I could find wrist-time for one of them...
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

I’ve had a few brighter coloured dials over the years....quick delve in the photos to get a few of them.
93E4E119-48C1-48C2-887E-824770610E3C.jpeg
AB53A220-B5DC-46CE-9BF7-9C5C42A4D6CC.jpeg
98E32C17-46BE-4CC1-8697-B9465B0E0398.jpeg
00E8BC8F-41FC-44D4-A4C7-00671B1CAB73.jpeg
D17EC17D-FA8E-440C-8DBA-BF062B2970C8.jpeg
88DA87BA-8610-4546-951F-3E041F27941D.jpeg
B6D787A0-3DA7-4D04-A060-950D0B8BD186.jpeg
9AC1836A-F966-4CF8-AC50-0297AB66F744.jpeg
AD657918-C635-49B7-A87D-91C3BD175582.jpeg
D3017CB1-8BE7-457B-BEE4-B319389A5FA9.jpeg
F51EA1BC-C212-4AEA-97A3-A7F5407B4C33.jpeg
87E4DAA4-D39F-442A-A43C-E05927F6512B.jpeg
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Can't say lockdown affected me much - still had to go to work and I'm not a social/huggy person at the best of times, but I do like colourful things.

I was tempted by the orange or red dial versions but tentative about resale value so picked up this cheap,
21-07-24.jpg
Pic taken in today's dullness, the heat warnings having disappeared as it arrived yesterday :lol: