Stick or twist - What next after 'Trusty Steed' Kevin?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Stick or twist - What next after 'Trusty Steed' Kevin?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Dickchins wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:00 am The Cupra Ateca is the only choice there for me.....

Or theres secret choice number 4:

The Cupra Formentor...... :megaeek:
I've looked at the Formentor, Paul but, fine car as it is, it doesn't quite offer what I'm looking for in terms of size, load carrying, ease of getting in / out etc. Maybe in the furture.

StrappedUp wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:46 am
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:30 am No firm date Chris and you may well be correct.

They know my #2 option car had a production date of Wk28, has been partially built but is now waiting for Semi-conductors / chips and we are on Wk35. When will the chips come in? Who knows? It could be 2 weeks, or 6 weeks or maybe longer.

I'm not sure that I'm in the position of being able, or wanting, to wait. :-k :-k

Guy
This last one has thrown me. I thought option #2 was a Cupra already built?

And as for your last sentence, I think you're gona cave and go for the Ateca.
You know it makes sense Guy! :twisted:
You're absolutely right Ryan.

I've got my options mixed up, Freudian slip perhaps, what with the order I considered them in, the order of preference I worked out for them and the order I wrote (late) last night.

I think therefore, that I have effectively blown any element of a surprise reveal, so without any further ado . . .

I had options on;-

1. Skoda Karoq Sportline, from a nearby Skoda dealer in Group, 15 months old, low mileage; high interest rate on PCP.

2. CUPRA Ateca VZ1, from a CUPRA dealer in the Midlands within Group, 10 months old, c. 4,500 miles Demonstrator; middle rate interest on PCP.

3. Skoda Karoq Sportline, high spec, from my dealer, currently 'in build' from Week 28 (we are now week 35) but delayed due to shortage of Semi-conductors / Chips; low interest rate on PCP.

I ruled out #1 quickly as it was not good value. Between #2 and #3 it was available immediately vs. indefinite wait and head vs. heart
#2 The CUPRA Ateca won.

It was actually quite a simple choice in the end as the CUPRA is the car I started out with as my "I'd really like to get one of these" choice and it came in at an affordable price. OK, I've somewhat gone around the houses to get it, but the exercise has been fun.

Hopefully I'll be able to take delivery in the next 7 - 10 days. :D :D

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Wow Guy, the devil won....the Cupra Ateca. You will live up to your Barnstormer tag. My main question though is what are you going to call this car? Kevin doesn't conjur up the same notion of performance that you will have with the new car!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Something suitably racy and Spanish.

¿Rocinante? :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dickchins »

Absolutely the right decision Guy.
Its a monster car with a beautiful interior, and very high spec.

So you have pretty much all the watches I want, and now the car I want. Im starting to think you were put on this earth to show me what I could have had!!!

Im thinking back to the old Bullseye gameshow....
"Lets have a look at what you could'a won!!!!"
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:19 am Wow Guy, the devil won....the Cupra Ateca. You will live up to your Barnstormer tag. My main question though is what are you going to call this car? Kevin doesn't conjur up the same notion of performance that you will have with the new car!
We shall name him, Damien.
Ryan
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Dickchins wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:16 am
Im thinking back to the old Bullseye gameshow....
"Lets have a look at what you could'a won!!!!"
BFH :lol:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:52 pm
#2 The CUPRA Ateca won.
8) :thumbup: :clap:

Outstanding decision Guy !
A serious motor, Congratulations.
Looking forward to seeing the photos of it when you get it.
They start at a staggering €50,000 over here !
Bahnstormer_vRS

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:19 am Wow Guy, the devil won....the Cupra Ateca. You will live up to your Barnstormer tag. My main question though is what are you going to call this car? Kevin doesn't conjur up the same notion of performance that you will have with the new car!
Cheers Patrick, and friends. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Kevin was an unlikely name for my Yeti, which came about after watching the Disney Pixar film 'Up' where Kevin was a fast running, but flightless, brightly / multi-coloured bird; somewhat like my upgraded to vRS spec Yeti.

The Ateca is an altogether different beast but has already had a name found for it of 'Toys'.

Somewhat fitting, after a fashion, of 'Boys and their Toys' but is actually a play on words from its Registration Number.

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

As has already been mentioned I decided to 'twist' and get a Cupra Ateca VZ1 which I found at Marshall CUPRA in Leicester but, as they are 'in Group' I was able to get my local Skoda dealer, Marshall SKODA Letchworth, who'd sold me my Yeti back in 2010/11 and who offered a very fair P/X price for Kevin, to procure it for me.

We had a slight delay in my being able to take delivery of it, as there was a small technical issue to be fixed and the local CUPRA garage (half a mile around the corner from my SKODA garage) had rather a full Workshop diary. Suffice to say all was sorted within the time frame given. Image Image

May I present to you 'Toys'

I've only covered c. 50 miles of mixed urban / country driving so far but my overriding feeling is of a docile beast, happy to waft along in a high gear and rely on the plateau of 400Nm of torque from 2,000 - 5,200 rpm if I want to accelerate.

Fuel consumption so far is around 22 - 25 mpg on Super Unleaded (I'll be using Tesco Momentum 99). There might be potential for 30+ mpg on an easy run but I feel it could easily drop to 20mpg or less if I start hooning around; the more likely option. Image Image

Mind you; if I was worried about fuel consumption I wouldn't have bought a 300PS, 4WD Wolf in Sheep's clothing. :wink: :wink:

Toys has all sorts of bells and whistles to her including a colour 'Digital Dash' (Instrument binnacle) to allow me to flip between Classic, Nav, Cupra and other screens. Plus has extended paddles for the DSG as standard. :D :D

My next task is to get a few accessories including a Spare Wheel Kit, Rubber Mats and Boot lip protector.

Then I'm onto sorting out winter tyres, probably on 1" smaller wheels (18") and slightly narrower tyres; OE are 245/40 19 and I'm looking at 225/50 18.

My dilemma is whether to splash out on some new rims, or be frugal and get the Team Dynamics rims I had as my Summer Wheels (7.5J x 18) on Kevin refurbished, although they're in generally excellent condition for their age, and powder coated in charcoal/graphite of perhaps CUPRA's signature colour of copper.

Guy

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Congratulations, Guy – it looks a fine vehicle. A tad thirsty on the old Gasolina, but you had clearly done your homework on that and knew what you wanted. Interesting choice of name – I guess it probably has quite a few toys on board anyway? :D
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dickchins »

Its an absolute stunner Guy. 100% the right choice.
Personally I wouldnt change the wheel & tyre package but each to their own...!

Also, if you ever get 30mpg out of a 300bhp "mini monster" you are driving it wrong sir!!! Im happy getting vaguely near that on the very odd occasion I go round in eco mode. I average 16-22mpg normally. And its worth it every day!
Bahnstormer_vRS

Dickchins wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:35 pm . . . . . . .

Personally I wouldnt change the wheel & tyre package but each to their own...!
What's your thinking behind that Paul?

Mine, for what its worth, is that I adopted the use of Winter Tyres ten years ago when I got my Yeti and would do a silly o'clock, well before dawn, start commute into NW London with the roads being cold and frosty (not just for the occasions that it snows). Prior to that with my Octavia vRS I would run 17" rims with less low profile tyres, in lieu of 18" rims, during the winter for slightly more forgiving handling.

I'd therefore like to follow through on the concept now, even though I'm no longer commuting, for the more sure footed feel in cooler / cold weather, especially with my responsibilities for the Community Transport volunteer driving I do.

Guy

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I’d agree on the Winters, Guy. I always used to drop an inch on winter wheels but, since I’ve had the ETron, I now just put winter tyres onto the normal wheels (mainly as I don’t think the car would take anything less than 20 inch wheels). A quick recommendation for your rubber mats - I’ve used carmats4u for years on several cars. Great quality and tailored to OEM spec so perfect fit. I can also highly recommend their tailored boot liners and boot lip protectors.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Dickchins wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:35 pm if you ever get 30mpg out of a 300bhp "mini monster" you are driving it wrong sir!!!
Haha! Our 365PS Focus does almost 40 on a long run, and I feel dirty seeing those sorts of numbers :lol:
These users thanked the author jtc for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Very nice Guy :thumbup:
Congratulations :clap:

Personally, I would get the Team Dynamics wheels refurbished in black and sticking winter tyres on them.
These users thanked the author StrapMeister for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS