Stick or twist - What next after 'Trusty Steed' Kevin?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Stick or twist - What next after 'Trusty Steed' Kevin?

Post by Bident »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:21 pm I was out and about this morning and decided (well I'd planned) to pop into my local BMW / MINI dealership to take a good look at an X1 (blah) and Countryman (maybe, not ruled out). No test drives as I was using up a free hour before lunch, having been out for a haircut.

Overall the X1 is too rounded / not sharp enough looking for my preference; sort of just another car; nothing distinctive about it. Boot is reasonable for Davie or a wheelchair on the Community Transport volunteer driving I now do, although I'm not keen on the sloping back.

The Salesman, suggested and showed me a curved ball; a new X3 on which there are potentially good deals to be had as there is a new model due out later this year. More my style of car BUT its massive and certainly bigger that I want, need or wish to pay for. I'll pass on both.

The Countryman? Much better prospect.

Nice and boxy and chunky. Boot is near identical in size to my Yeti's boot and driving position seems fine enough; although I didn't like the 'oval digital instrument binnacle' mounted on the steering column, it moves when you move the adjustment of the wheel (a bit like having a small tablet perched on the steering column). Moreover the digital dash was not level,being obviously canted over to the left. :o :o

I'll give that the benefit of doubt and take a further look at some stage as the Dealer has a Countryman JCW within Group, that will be available to test drive. :D :D

A useful comparison pic;-

Next Dealership visit will be to check out the Volvo XC40; probably sometime next week.

Guy
I purchased the Mini Countryman hybrid (in your picture, I can tell by the charge port) this past April and love it (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23245&hilit=minis&start=780). The battery needs to be charged often as it is only an 18 mile range, but for my needs and driving habits it suits me fine. I also test drove the XC40 Recharge which is a superb car, but the Mini was more appealing to me aesthetically and more fun to drive.
Best regards,
John
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:21 pm

I drove a Countryman many moons ago a don’t recall it feeling that big. I’m surprised to see it looking so large against Kevin
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:30 pm I drove a Countryman many moons ago a don’t recall it feeling that big. I’m surprised to see it looking so large against Kevin
I reckon it, the Countryman, looks large for two reasons;-

1. Perspective, as it is nearer to me and

2. As with all cars with new models it has grown over the years. One of my neighbours has a '64 plate Countryman and it is certainly smaller than the current one.

Overall, the current Countryman is pretty much the same size as Yeti. Its a bit lower and maybe looks bigger as the corners are more rounded / plumped out.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS

I've been mulling things over during the last few days and am erring toward the 'Stick' option for another year or two . . . ..
. OR . .
.. . moving sideways to something like the Estate version of an Octavia vRS / Cupra Leon / Focus ST - they seem to offer better value for money / lower outlay, and possibly better residuals, than an SUV.

Guy

DrogoNomen

Post by DrogoNomen »

What about Superb 4x4 estate?
Can't get a bigger boot (some E-class estates are a smidge bigger I suppose!).
It's the most powerful Skoda in production - and fastest (depending on age of vRS you look at)
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

DrogoNomen wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:27 pm What about Superb 4x4 estate?
It's the most powerful Skoda in production - and fastest (depending on age of vRS you look at)

In steps a Skoda man with an educated, informed, and absolutely spot on option..!!! :clap:
Bahnstormer_vRS

DrogoNomen wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:27 pm What about Superb 4x4 estate?
That's a good shout for the Superb 4x4 Estate, a model I have considered and have an open mind on.

Yes, great engine/DSG/4x4 and loads of space, not only is the boot excellent, the Superb (as you'll know) has amazing rear seat leg room.

There are two snags as I see it;-

1. It is a large car, larger than I was hoping to get, which is why I was erring towards the Octavia/Leon and

2. Its frighteningly expensive new with I feel steep depreciation, although perhaps no more so than the Cupras, which maybe means I'd be better buying pre-owned except they are rare; as I recall from my brief two year foray several years ago, working for my local Skoda dealer.

Maybe a pre-owned A4/A6 or BMW 3 series Estate would be a better selection?

Thinking of my selection, I was able to take a look over the Volvo XC40 yesterday, at my local dealer.

On paper I was really enthusiastic about it. A good boxy shape, like my Yeti, didn't seem to be too large and boot a reasonable size. What a disappointment (sorry Richard). :( :(

The boot has no side windows to it, not ideal for Davie. The waistline is quite high with relatively narrow windows which, along with the black headlining of the one I sat in made it feel quite small and claustrophobic. This all in a vehicle that is relatively large, especially compared to what I am looking for.

I've crossed it off my list. The search continues . . . . .

Guy

Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Hi Guy, as you know I'm a keen driver, have owned and flipped many more cars than watches and the Skoda Superb L&K Estate was the longest I've ever owned a car by a long way. 6 years which is unheard of for me. Oh and I bought it in preference to the e-class I expected to buy.
OK its not a go-kart handling wise (not totally boring either), but was just so capable, comfortable, practical and on the whole reliable. The latest model is better still and looks sharper. It is a big car but didnt feel it after the bedding in period 🙂
But... is it the car you really want, will it make you smile after a cross country A road run up to Northumberland or the Lakes? When you get there will you look back over your shoulder at it ticking away as it cools. I was very fond of mine and it did make me smile, I ultimately ended up with a second car (I didn't need) for the fun factor though 😁.
I'm not suggesting you should or shouldn't buy one as its such a subjective purchase unless you are a dont care as long as gets me A-B person, which, from our brief interactions about cars I guess you aren't.
Good luck in your deliberations.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

I read yesterday that used car prices have increased 14% in the past year. This is borne out my own experience that my car has the same value it did in May 2019, crazy.

Having looked at potentially a new 3 series, I can see you get virtually zero discount on a new model and I would imagine that discounts of most models of new cars are very low at the moment compared to what you might traditionally expect.

All of this leads me to think that it is probably best to hang on to your current (used) car right now unless you are desparate to change. It may well be the case next year that if/when the semiconductor chip crisis abates (not to mention covid, Suez, shipping container shortage etc) more new cars are produced and the market may return more to normality.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dickchins »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:48 am I read yesterday that used car prices have increased 14% in the past year. This is borne out my own experience that my car has the same value it did in May 2019, crazy.

Having looked at potentially a new 3 series, I can see you get virtually zero discount on a new model and I would imagine that discounts of most models of new cars are very low at the moment compared to what you might traditionally expect.

All of this leads me to think that it is probably best to hang on to your current (used) car right now unless you are desparate to change. It may well be the case next year that if/when the semiconductor chip crisis abates (not to mention covid, Suez, shipping container shortage etc) more new cars are produced and the market may return more to normality.

I had absolutely the same experience.

Mine has gone up £2k in 18 months since I bought it (its only a 16 plate), and ive put 12k miles ish on it. Absolute bonkers.

My mates dad is in the motor trade and he said dont buy at the mo unless you absolutely have to.
Hopefully things are to be sorted soon as I want a change! I go through cars faster than underwear usually!
(But for very different reasons I might add :shock: )
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

We normally have something on lease or pcp that gets changed every 2/3 years, but it's highly likely we will send it back and not replace this time. I would only be a buyer of a used car at present if I 100% needed one for a job/to commute, or as a replacement to a write-off or current faulty/mot failure car.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Dickchins wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:27 pm
Thegreyman wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:48 am I read yesterday that used car prices have increased 14% in the past year. This is borne out my own experience that my car has the same value it did in May 2019, crazy.

I had absolutely the same experience.

Mine has gone up £2k in 18 months since I bought it (its only a 16 plate), and ive put 12k miles ish on it. Absolute bonkers.

My mates dad is in the motor trade and he said dont buy at the mo unless you absolutely have to.
Hopefully things are to be sorted soon as I want a change! I go through cars faster than underwear usually!
(But for very different reasons I might add :shock: )
Who'd have thought, used cars are the new Rolex :o
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

I normally only pay cash but in mid-2017 the local BMW dealership got greedy and over ordered (by 40 cars!) a shed load of MSport two door 4 series cars, all with manual gearboxes (in the brand new ‘snapper-rocks blue.’) The initial down payment was around £5500 with 4 years @ £350/mth and a settlement figure of £11500! I did the maths, sort of, and decided it was a no-brainer. We were getting the car far cheaper than the measly discount offered to us for cash.
Late July this year we settled the finance and flogged the car for £18k as the missus hated it, with 24k on the clock, overdue a service and needing two front tyres. The dealer we flogged it to had a waiting list and it went for £20500 down to London, in a day.
And now the really good news….a friend of mine, with more money than sense, bought his missus a Mini two years ago and was getting rid of it. His wife and mine had been chatting on the phone and my missus said that it ‘sounded nice’ and would I pop down the road to have a look at it…which I duly did as she is clueless about cars.
I came home with a grin on my face and said that it would be ideal for her, has a full dealer service history, 2015 plate, 29k on the clock, is fun to drive with brand new tyres and just needs a roof decal replacing.
When I get around to it I’ll post some pictures of the little monster which happens to be a John Cooper Works Mini Coupe in black and silver. You should have seen her face when she first drove the angry little beast 😂😂😂 She now drives my Jag XFS and I’m screaming around the area in the JCW and acting like a seventeen year old! Not bad at all for £8400…I’m calling Lohen in Staffs next week to get a price on a performance upgrade package. 👌
PHIL
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dickchins »

Gar787 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:32 pm I normally only pay cash but in mid-2017 the local BMW dealership got greedy and over ordered (by 40 cars!) a shed load of MSport two door 4 series cars, all with manual gearboxes (in the brand new ‘snapper-rocks blue.’) The initial down payment was around £5500 with 4 years @ £350/mth and a settlement figure of £11500! I did the maths, sort of, and decided it was a no-brainer. We were getting the car far cheaper than the measly discount offered to us for cash.
Late July this year we settled the finance and flogged the car for £18k as the missus hated it, with 24k on the clock, overdue a service and needing two front tyres. The dealer we flogged it to had a waiting list and it went for £20500 down to London, in a day.
And now the really good news….a friend of mine, with more money than sense, bought his missus a Mini two years ago and was getting rid of it. His wife and mine had been chatting on the phone and my missus said that it ‘sounded nice’ and would I pop down the road to have a look at it…which I duly did as she is clueless about cars.
I came home with a grin on my face and said that it would be ideal for her, has a full dealer service history, 2015 plate, 29k on the clock, is fun to drive with brand new tyres and just needs a roof decal replacing.
When I get around to it I’ll post some pictures of the little monster which happens to be a John Cooper Works Mini Coupe in black and silver. You should have seen her face when she first drove the angry little beast 😂😂😂 She now drives my Jag XFS and I’m screaming around the area in the JCW and acting like a seventeen year old! Not bad at all for £8400…I’m calling Lohen in Staffs next week to get a price on a performance upgrade package. 👌

Buy a lottery ticket.... IMMEDIATELY!!!!
With luck that good, you'd be daft not to!!!!

Good skills that man :lol: :clap:
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

I’ve edited it now…the dealership dropped the initial £5500 down payment as they couldn’t shift them and they were having to rent space from Mercedes to park them all!
PHIL