Stick or twist - What next after 'Trusty Steed' Kevin?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Stick or twist - What next after 'Trusty Steed' Kevin?

Post by golfjunky »

mini countryman vs discovery/RR = nearly the same size! are you on glue?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Illiera
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Illiera »

golfjunky wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:28 pm mini countryman vs discovery/RR = nearly the same size? are you on glue?
This almost killed me!

For what my view is worth I’m trying to help my mother in law replace her car, and I’ve been finding the same as the others that the prices are very inflated at the moment. We’ve looked at dealers, garages and private seller and found the same across the patch. I don’t share the optimism that the market will rebound significantly by Q4, so I think the question is really how badly do you want the new one.

I’d also +1 the Volvo, I have the XC60 and it’s a brilliant car. SMR is clearly not the cheapest, but I’ve not had a problem while owning.
C60 Trident Pro GMT 600
C900 Single Pusher
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:29 am ^^^^ Isn't the BMW 1.5L 3 pot a Peugeot engine that has been around for a while now?
I had to explore this further as it triggered something about the engine’s origin…...
The Peugeot Citroen 1.6 THP was shared with the Mini, but the 1.5 in the BMW (B38) is a BMW developed engine. The 4 cylinder was also a collaborative effort with other manufacturers including Pug
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

^^ absolutely, but the latest incarnation of the mini with any power i.e. the Cooper S or JCW has the BMW derived 2.0 unit.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ Thanks for that info gents.

I feel on a style / design basis I'd edge towards the Countryman, as opposed to the X1/X2.

We'll see.

More follow up comments in a while.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

mini countryman vs discovery/RR = nearly the same size! are you on glue
Range Rover Evoque: 4371mm long. 1904mm wide.
MINI Countryman: 4299mm long, 1822mm wide.

What sort of glue do you think I'm on?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Bahnstormer_vRS

Soporsche wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:40 am Hi Guy, sone friends of ours have the new (2020) Honda HRV its only 1.5T with 182bhp but reliable, OK to steer, sport version a bit better (firmer) than standard, less than 8s 0-60. May not have the punch for you but the new shape is quite an attractive car of the type you have suggested.
Problem you may find is going from the torque and turbo shove of the VAG 2.0 diesel unit (which is quite addictive), anything with less than at least 200bhp in a more linear petrol may feel a little asthmatic to you at 1st.
I think the HRV is going to be down a size/class, both physically and in performance, from what I'm looking for Stephen, as it sits alongside the likes of the T-ROC, Kamiq, Toyota C-HR, although 182bhp is not shabby. From the Honda range I think the CR-V is more the natural competitor to the cars I'm looking at so far.

Also I think you're correct on the 'torque and turbo shove' factor although these days Manufacturers have gone a long way to providing strong, flat torque curves from their petrol engined cars.

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

downer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:59 am I can't comment on the timing of your swap, Guy, although I would say the current "shortage" has inflated used prices so the gap between used and new is smaller than ever, so - if you can find a new car that meets your specification requirements, it is not a bad time to change.
I'll agree with you there Richard, assuming I'm going to buy new.

One of my dilemmas is that, with List Prices hovering around £40k, for some of the models I'm looking at, they're getting rather pricey and very much at the top of what I feel is affordable / feel comfortable spending. There's part of me that says I ought to spend maybe £25 - £30k on something Nearly New; a bit like watches, eh? :wink:
downer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:59 am As for the car choice, you may recall I purchased a new XC40 late last year. Given our intended use for this car, I did not need to go for a high performance version so I opted for the B4 (just shy of 200bhp with the mildest of mild hybrid). To be honest, the car has done very little mileage since new, due to lockdowns and our changing habits. However, I can tell you the XC40 is an excellent car - very comfortable, simple and reliable in-car technology, good space considering the external dimensions and decent-enough fuel economy. I also bought a five year service pack, which was a bargain.
Actually, I'm sorry, but I'd forgotten you'd changed from your Q5. :oops:

Thanks for your comments on the XC40 though and this level of model, along with the likes of the 2.0TSI 190bhp Karoq / Ateca is objectively the sensible 'head' choice, as opposed to the high performance 'heart' choice that I'm looking for.

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

exHowfener wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:17 pm . . . . .

That's a bit boring though, so if you want something newer on the drive, with a powerful engine and 4X4 then the obvious choice (for me anyway) would be a Range Rover or Discovery. Not much difference in size from the MINI Countryman.
I'll agree the RR Evoque is a good option for consideration; except I'm not sold on its fastback / coupe looks. I much prefer the square back, or nearly square back design.

The Disco though is surely a tad on the large side; isn't it?

Guy

Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:25 am
exHowfener wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:17 pm . . . . .

That's a bit boring though, so if you want something newer on the drive, with a powerful engine and 4X4 then the obvious choice (for me anyway) would be a Range Rover or Discovery. Not much difference in size from the MINI Countryman.
I'll agree the RR Evoque is a good option for consideration; except I'm not sold on its fastback / coupe looks. I much prefer the square back, or nearly square back design.

The Disco though is surely a tad on the large side; isn't it?

Guy
Disco Sport would score points on a numberof factors, ok its a fair bit bigger but not ridiculous.
However, totally different driving experience, comfy, capable, badge appeal, etc (test drove one when they 1st came out as a potential family wagon but stuck with an estate in end).. it hasn't got the smile factor, definitely doesn't feel as fast it probably is and could never be described as a keen drivers car. Depends what you want at end of the day. :)
Stephen

Bahnstormer_vRS

Soporsche wrote: . . . . .

Depends what you want at end of the day. :)
That I subscribe to and have read EVO magazine for many years (it was even responsible for getting me into CW watches) perhaps gives you a clue to my motoring ideals, Stephen.

This, plus I'm in the position in life that the decision to be made is solely mine.

Guy

Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Some great suggestions on here Guy.
Still, nothing comes close in style, reliability, tech, individuality, and most importantly with the acceleration to keep you interested, than the Cupra Ateca...!
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:07 am
Soporsche wrote: . . . . .

Depends what you want at end of the day. :)
That I subscribe to and have read EVO magazine for many years (it was even responsible for getting me into CW watches) perhaps gives you a clue to my motoring ideals, Stephen.

This, plus I'm in the position in life that the decision to be made is solely mine.

Guy

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Its great fun shopping then, the research, looking, testing would keep me going for months and then the driving :D
If only they would do a Vrs Kamiq... agree with the above that the Cupra is looking strong as potentially is the JCW.
Stephen

Bahnstormer_vRS

Dickchins wrote:Some great suggestions on here Guy.
Still, nothing comes close in style, reliability, tech, individuality, and most importantly with the acceleration to keep you interested, than the Cupra Ateca...!
Cheers for your enthusiastic comments Paul.

One technical / logistic fact I discovered a while back, which I like, is that the Ateca (both SEAT and Cupra) versions are made in one of Skoda's factories in the Czech Republic, alongside the Karoq.

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

Soporsche wrote: If only they would do a Vrs Kamiq... agree with the above that the Cupra is looking strong as potentially is the JCW.
There's the T-ROC R-Line, but I don't want to buy a VW.

Guy