Watchy nooks and crannies

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Watchy nooks and crannies

Post by missF »

I’ve been a watchy person for a while now. I’ve just been thinking about how that journey changes over time. I feel like I’ve now got a general overview of the lie of the horological land - the main themes, main areas of interest, main players, and a huge bunch of the main watches involved. I haven’t flipped madly, but have bought and sold enough to be able to better define what I like and don’t like wearing.

So where do I go from here? My feeling is that there are many smaller nooks and crannies to be explored, as do many on the forum. ‘Smaller’ or less well known brands, more expensive brands?, Kickstarter brands (a cranny I’m totally unfamiliar with), vintage (although this area is hardly a tiny nook!)..., some people take on mods, repairs or battery changes, some explore watches of a particular nationality, some become more interested in movements than dials.

Do you explore any nooks and crannies? Do you have any interesting below-the-radar brands to share?

I’ve followed a pretty unconsidered path through the watch world so far - help me now to follow the road less travelled! :lol: :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Watchy nooks and crannies

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

This is probably one you will need to work out for yourself, Lindsey. Asking a question like that, I am sure you realise that you are going to get one whole load of conflicting advice, all of which will be interesting, useful and totally appropriate…to the person who gave it! :wink:

I used to be crazy about vintage watches, as you know, and went on a fairly lengthy ramble along that road. I still have a few which I like and treasure, even if I don’t wear them so often, but in general I have moved away.

8 CWs at one time is about as far as I have gone towards becoming a brand monster. I’m now down to 4 and a couple of those may be moving on before too long.

Never been bothered with kickstarters and never likely to be. Too uncertain and in a lot of cases (not all) too divey and generic.

I was pretty much exclusively into what we call dress watches until I began to expand my horizons, but I’m no longer a specific collector of any particular style of watch.

In fact, that last clause is a bit crucial for where I’m at just now. Trying to reduce the collection a bit and keep any new acquisitions to good quality and slightly left-field. Also trying to avoid too much repetition in the box. The problem is that the things I’m attracted to are expensive as well as beautiful.

All I will say is Good Luck with Your Chosen Path, and we do of course expect to be kept informed both verbally and pictorially. :D :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

I find my preferences change over time and my collection with it.

I think branching out of your comfort zone is well worth it as you may discover styles or types you never thought you’d appreciate.

I’m by no means a seasoned or wise collector, my collection is a bit of a hot mess sometimes of flipping and buying on a whim.

But exploring outside of my comfort zone showed me I like large watches when I spent years sticking to sub 38-40mm. I’ve also learned I’m a sucker for a chrono diver, but never thought I was a chrono person as I have no practical use for it (but I accept I just love them now!)

It’s worth giving stuff a go and seeing how you feel about it. I’ve tried micro brands, didn’t really do it for me, I went through a Japanese only phase. Tried Russian and German too. These didn’t really do it for me, but I had fun along the way.

I’ve even purged all my CWs more than once…that’s a mistake I won’t be repeating.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Another intriguing topic, Lindsey. But sadly, I’ll have little to offer, as I’m barely a collector. I think to shine a light on some nooks and crannies for you, one must have experience in those nooks and crannies. When it comes to watches, I don’t.

The first thing I thought about when reading your post was advice giving to me from a good friend about food when I first took an interest in cooking beyond the basic need to feed myself. He offered a number of suggestions:
  • Pick up a classic cookbook like Julia Child’s The Joy of Cooking or Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything and cook my way through it. Become well versed on fundamental techniques for fine French cooking. I see this as the equivalent of exploring the established classic models of the big watch brands - Rolex, Omega, Breitling, etc
  • Pick a particular cuisine and master it. Buy a bunch of cookbooks on that cuisine and master them. Maybe I become the Thai food guy, for example. I see this as committing to one brand and going “all in.” Think of some of our members who have extensive CW collections, for example.
  • Pick a few ingredients I really love and explore them in all their culinary varieties. I think of this as the equivalent of focusing perhaps on just dive watches, or committing to chronographs, or the various ways of implementing a certain complication perhaps. Maybe it’s a thing for military issue watches.
The gist of his advice was to find what I love about food and let that guide my learning process. What is it you really love about watches? The aesthetic? The mechanical aspect? The history? Think on what you really seem to love and follow that where it may take you.
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

^^^
Brilliant cooking analogy! I really appreciate that the way to broaden and deepen knowledge on anything is to approach the subject from many angles and keep curious. I think this is what I was angling towards with my post - how many different ways are there to do that on the subject of watches?

A big part of why I posted is that I feel like I’ve run out of the acquisitional interest in watches. My recent purchase, rather than leading to a honeymoon period then a view to the next acquisition, has just instead made me plan to sell further. There are two watches I want to keep, the rest I want to sell.

This is compounded by the fact that I want to free up some funds to spend on something I value more highly than watches - my mental health.

So - I’m feeling my priorities shift, but am still looking for ways to keep my interest in watches alive. Interestingly, while rummaging around this evening I discovered that Christie’s run an online course in watches through the 20th century looking at both design and technical aspects of the subject. So interesting! But another large financial outlay....

I think I need to get selling! :lol:
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

missF wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:59 amI think I need to get selling!
Something I will never do.

My collection is a reflection of my life, from losing my young wife to cancer to the joy of becoming a grandad. Each watch tells a story. As for watch nooks and crannies, I’m quite at home with watches that appeal to more than just a watch enthusiast, it’s a great place to be.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Richard D wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:18 am My collection is a reflection of my life, from losing my young wife to cancer to the joy of becoming a grandad. Each watch tells a story.
I’d say the stories are your “nooks and crannies!” If (when?) my collection ever expands, it will be by adding watches that tell/reflect/represent parts of the story of my life.
Drew
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

The sense of accomplishment that comes from changing your own battery or tinkering in a mechanical movement is great for me. I have a couple cheap mechanical movements and have enjoyed in the past taking them apart and examining the parts, then putting them back together.

And I like being the go-to person for my friends and family for battery changes.

That’s one of the main reasons I got into watches in the first place, the marvel of engineering of a mechanical movement.

Also, you mentioned microbrands above… well I just bought my first, an RZE which was initially a Kickstarter, and I’m blown away by the quality for the price. It was a leap of faith and a long wait, but I enjoyed the experience and it definitely worked out.

As far as more expensive brands, I enjoy going to the local bookstore and picking up the latest Watch Aficionado magazine and seeing what the biggies have in store for the watch world. I focus on new technical advancements and cool complications.

Maybe a couple things here that might be fun to try!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

ajax87 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:16 pm And I like being the go-to person for my friends and family for battery changes.

I enjoy going to the local bookstore and picking up the latest Watch Aficionado magazine and seeing what the biggies have in store for the watch world. I focus on new technical advancements and cool complications.

Maybe a couple things here that might be fun to try!
Alex’s post raises a really good point - there are ways to explore the nooks & crannies of watches without actually buying/collecting watches.
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

ajax87 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:16 pm I enjoy going to the local bookstore and picking up the latest Watch Aficionado magazine and seeing what the biggies have in store for the watch world.
A watch magazine subscription might be a good thing to look into. I find the internet for watch content a bit hit-or-miss. :thumbup:
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

missF wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:58 pm
ajax87 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:16 pm I enjoy going to the local bookstore and picking up the latest Watch Aficionado magazine and seeing what the biggies have in store for the watch world.
A watch magazine subscription might be a good thing to look into. I find the internet for watch content a bit hit-or-miss. :thumbup:
Exactly. I mixed up my magazines though. I usually leaf through 2, Cigar Aficionado and Watch Time. I don’t think Watch Aficionado exists. And these are in the US, might not be available in Europe at all :lol: but still, I recommend it.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Watch mags should definitely be on the high shelves in non-see-thru wrappers! :rollsmile:

I often (used to) pick one up at the airport in the good old days, and it was good for an hour or so of looking at all the things I couldn't afford.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

Ciga
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I like to tinker and build. I’m nearly 50 years into Lego and 45 years into model rockets. I’ve thought about opening up watches and poking about in the movements, though I have not yet done it. I swap batteries only so far. Mechanicals intrigue me, but I also don’t want to do something to the watches I enjoy. As I’ve never sold a watch, buying to flip is not something I’m emotionally prepared to do. :) I’ve toyed with the idea of seeing if I could project manage the launch and delivery of a Kickstarter watch. Idle talk so far. I understand wanting to do something more than just build your perfect collection, especially if you are largely there.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair