Retirement Countdown

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Retirement Countdown

Post by jkbarnes »

I have a countdown to retirement widget on my iPhone. Today’s number grabbed my attention.

07453B48-7525-4C26-9BB0-BF7371A361A4.jpeg
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Retirement Countdown

Post by JAFO »

^^^^^
You seem to already have a lot of time on your hands there Andrew. :D
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

My timer is roughly double yours. I haven't put a countdown on my phone as I don't need that much depression every day.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

OMG, that's painful, torture even. The only way I'd have that on my home screen is if my retirement was in 3hrs 52mins...

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I’d rather ‘over-set’ the number of days left so that retirement, when it comes, would come as a pleasant surprise! To be honest I’d struggle with pinning myself to a countdown and would be better with a random number of days generator to keep me discombobulated and focussed on the present :D
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I dreaded the day I reached my so called retirement date, I knew I would miss teaching. Instead I reinvented myself. The only difference is that, before it felt as if I was working 25 hours a day and now it’s just a mere 8. My advise is don’t count down to retirement instead plan day one of a new chapter.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Good advice.

As you know, Andrew, I had things reasonably well sketched out to undertake some research trips for my writing. Covid put that on hold, and I was grateful for the chance to return to work part time for a few months.

I’m starting to piece things together a little better now, back to doing some writing which I couldn’t face for a while, some interesting research reading, thinking again of some trips and taking up golf after a lapse of 30 years!

I’ve had a few enquiries about whether I would consider private tuition, but after 40 years of teaching I need to do something different.

So from my recent experience I would add to Richard’s advice: keep your plans flexible.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

This has taken a far more serious tone than I anticipated. No one has commented on the actual number, which was the sole reason I made this post! Being a history teacher, I thought it was a cool number (the same number that prompted me to start the “This year in post count history,” in fact).

As for the actual countdown, it serves many purposes. First and foremost, it helped me get through a very challenging year. Virtual teaching and lockdown can take the wind out of ones sails. The countdown was a small positive to help on the darkest of days.

The countdown also marks something far more significant. My wife and I met online. Because of our jobs and child custody arrangements with our exes, we have not been able to live together - she’s in Maryland and I’m in Virginia. We see each other on Wednesdays and every other weekend. My retirement date also marks the date I can move up to MD, and we can be together full time…finally! Putting off retirement puts off living together, and that dog won’t hunt, to use an old southern idiom. On the plus side, now that my youngest is heading off to school, we’ll get most weekends together.

Finally, this marks retirement from full time teaching, not from working all together. Hell, I’ll only be 54 when I retire from teaching, just shy of 54 actually. That’s far too young to not work at all! My wife has already started a list of the many things I’ve said I want to do after I retire. Among some of the best are become an F1 driver or an MMA fighter. :lol: :lol: On a serious note, there’s a little antique store in Frederick that I love and have purchased quite a bit from where I’d love to work.

I’ll just have to wait and see how the story unfolds in three years…
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I didn't think 1066 meant so much in the US, and its 1065, or 1064 now, although I noted the number. I thought it was a bit like Andy Dufresne taking years to carve his tunnel out of Shawshank. You seemed very keen on the escape. :D
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

No one has commented on the actual number,
I'm not sure that anyone would celebrate being invaded (twice!) by a foreign power :lol:

Joking aside, (and it was a joke) I took early retirement at 55 and have never regretted it for a minute. I now do a bit of gardening and it's quite hard work at times but still wonderful. The time will fly by - once you know you are going then perspective changes. At least it did for me!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:28 pm I thought it was a bit like Andy Dufresne taking years to carve his tunnel out of Shawshank. You seemed very keen on the escape. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, I’ve never seen The Shawshank Redemption, and at this point, I’ve decided to make a point of not seeing it. I fully understand the reference, though.
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Trying to think whether 1066 days to go sounds more onerous than 25,584 hours!

I am sure you will battle on through to the finishing line.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Andrew, I've got about the same # of years before I retire that you do..I guess we both need to make sure that we have the right time pieces for that next chapter in our lives!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Thunder1 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:51 pm Andrew, I've got about the same # of years before I retire that you do..I guess we both need to make sure that we have the right time pieces for that next chapter in our lives!!..
I’ve got 3 years to sell my wife on the idea of a retirement Reverso!
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:04 pm I’ve got 3 years to sell my wife on the idea of a retirement Reverso!
Good Lord! I had to read that twice. :dielaughing:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)