Watch safety

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
time_lizard
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Watch safety

Post by time_lizard »

Over the last year (maybe also due to Corona boredom) my watch collection grew substantially, and with it its monetary value.
I display most of my watches in a wall-mounted watch box, the others in a display box nearby.

Now, as holiday travel comes into view again, I wonder what might happen if I have a burglar in my flat during my absence (I had one some years ago, a bad experience). The first thing he might do is to take all my watches on display and quickly find the others - and I find my complete collection gone when returning from holiday.

Probably this is a problem for many more collectors here and that's the reason I ask the question: how do you assure the safety of your collection when being abroad? Any hint is welcome.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Watch safety

Post by watchaholic »

I would certainly find some place to lock them up. A locker or your desk at work possibly? If not, then could they be left with a friend? If you have any concerns, I would not leave it to chance.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

No I wouldn't, and don't, leave it to chance. I would even risk telling you guys what my arrangements are but they are in place.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Get yourself a good dedicated jewelry insurance policy for your watches.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

My box goes to someone else's house when I've been away for an extended period of time.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

The burglary sucks, Ralph, sorry to hear of your misfortune. With watches it's not just the monetary value, some pieces are difficult or impossible to replace because of sentimental reasons etc. Like others, I would suggest a family member or trusted friend for absences away from your flat. Maybe there's somewhere in your town/city that offers short-term safety deposit box rental.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
time_lizard
Senior
Senior

Post by time_lizard »

Thanks all for this!
Giving them temporarily away seems to be a practical and cheap way.
I have an old person in the house who waters my plants during holiday - why not handing the display boxes over to him? :thumbup:
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Insurance and a safe job done :thumbup:
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

time_lizard wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:18 am Thanks all for this!
Giving them temporarily away seems to be a practical and cheap way.
I have an old person in the house who waters my plants during holiday - why not handing the display boxes over to him? :thumbup:
Perfect
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Mostly mentioned already, I'd say give them to a trusted friend or neighbour, put them in a temporary safety deposit box, or similarly and a bit more out there, put them in a storage unit(nobody would have a clue what you were putting in there). Alternatively find a really sensible and sneaky place to hide them in your home. Not in a safe though. I'd suggest keeping a safe though as if it's found near empty it suggests you've no small valuables to look elsewhere for.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

There's a lot of House & Contents Insurance companies that, when you get to a certain number/value, won't insure you unless you have an EN14450 certified safe, e.g. https://www.safe.co.uk/products/burton- ... s2-2k.html installed.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

There’s a few suggestions about leaving with someone else, what’s to say they will not be broken into, do they have insurance to cover any loss :? I have all my watches named on my home insurance, which covers them at home and away from the house, costs but worth it :thumbup:
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Turn the refrigerator down and put them in the salad draw, they are unlikely to rifle through your lettuce. Or get Macaulay Culkin round to look after the house.

Get a safe and get insurance if they are of considerable value. To pass them on to someone else adds pressure on them and if they are lost outside of your property I am not sure they would be covered at all and the other person will feel terrible too.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

kiter65 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:14 pm There’s a few suggestions about leaving with someone else, what’s to say they will not be broken into, do they have insurance to cover any loss :? I have all my watches named on my home insurance, which covers them at home and away from the house, costs but worth it :thumbup:
Snap! Mine are all individually itemised on my house insurance and are covered at home and away. I do have a safe concreted into the floor but, if I’m honest, I normally forget to put them in it!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Dogs, alarm, safe, and umbrella insurance policy.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.